Dont overlook the overlooked

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Dont overlook the overlooked

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:06 pm

I was able to get out after work today and do a little scouting. As I was driving out I was replaying something Dan had said basically about being able to look at a map and know where all the hunters will go then trying to go where they don't go. So I was thinking real hard about overlooked spots, spots that people would all walk right by cause there "would never be a deer there". Well being short on time and having a pretty good mental idea of the lay of the woods I decided to scout a little piece of property that literally is next to the road edge. When you look at it driving down the road it looks about 20 yards wide and the way it is layed out it just doesn't get anybody hunting it. It is basically a long point between the road and a swamp that runs about 300 yards before it opens up into some pines and a cattail marsh. All the parking is at both ends and both paths from the parking lead up into the woods. I have walked these woods since I was 4 and in all my life had never set foot in this little spot... just no reason to.. to small for deer.. no good for fishing or squirrels and to close to the road and to steep to run my beagles. Just all in all a worthless piece of land.... or so I thought.
I headed in down the hill and through the tangles of blackberries. It didn't take long at all to start seeing deer sign. The first thing I noticed was it was alot bigger piece of land then I thought. The hill made it look way smaller from the road. Right over the hill was a nice trail n some big tracks. I headed into the autumn olive tangle and within 50 yards hit a bed secluded inside a tangle of brush. There was hair in the bed and all over the brush around it. I took the area in and took a few pics then moved up the trail within another 50 yards I found another bed. I didn't see any rubs yet but I don't think ive ever seen any on the autumn olive. As soon as the land started to widen out into the pines there they were. Rubs everywhere. Some from last year some from many years ago but rubs all over. Lots of droppings also. This spot is looking good. I marked a few trees that I can get into and go out. I am getting pumped to get in a solid year of beast hunting and the spots are starting to stack up !!!!

oldrank

Re: Dont overlook the overlooked

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:12 pm

a few more pics
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:15 pm

Nice find. I seem to think deer are more comfortable next to the road in many spots. Good luck with it!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Nice job man that's awesome. I found some beds this year close to the road too for the first time. Definitely can't overlook anything. Good luck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Nice finds!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks guys, Im pretty pumped about this spot because it will be perfect for after work. If I don't have a lot of time to hike back in its another spot I can be set up in a matter of minutes. I have a few others that I hunt like this already but this one by far has the best sign.
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:25 pm

For sure definitely looks like a short walk. Just don't over hunt it. Good luck man!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:43 pm

You gotta love those overlooked spots. I killed my buck on opening day last year in one and it really opened up my eyes. Great job on the detective work and wishing you good luck this coming season. 8-)

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Great find! :clap:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:18 pm

:clap:
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:17 pm

That is some good stuff you found. Reminds me of an area I know, except there is no water, just a marsh with a little wooded area that butts up against the road. There are so many rubs, beds, and little trails that go through that spot, but the thing is, I think its maybe to close to the road to be able to legally hunt it.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:46 pm

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:28 pm

This winter I found 3 doe beds and a good rub 30 yards from designated hunter parking. Everyone walks right by...

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 pm

I agree great find, but how are you going to hunt it?

Are you going to park in the east parking lot and come west towards him during a west wind?

What's across the road?

Where do you think he goes from the bed?

Not trying to wet in your corn flakes, on the contrary, I am curious now how to hunt this spot because I have been thinking of a situation down the road from me that was ideal, I thought, Until they put in a second parking lot. So now I have dueling parking lots like your picture does and ag field across the road. The spot I am thinking about is a little different, as it has a trail leading to the road and into the corn.

Any set up info would be appreciated.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:17 am

Across the road is a steep hill and open hard woods... kitty corner there is a corn field to the west..... any where there are crops gets hammered by hunters.. there is really only one spot I cant hunt n that is at the area just before it opens up into the pines to the east... it might b tricky if he is using an east wind to bed there.. but maybe the evening thermals will pull my scent out to the swamp... guess ill have to test it out with the milk weed seed... the west side is so thick and nasty Id never get in there without kicking him out. All of the rubs were on the east side so i suspect that is where he is coming in and out.

Last edited by oldrank on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”