Dont overlook the overlooked

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Dont overlook the overlooked

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Today I went out for a little bit this morning to watch a field that I can hunt and saw a really nice buck enter a patch of woods that I never dreamed a buck would use to bed. It was 7:30 so I'm sure he was going to bed up. Just another eye opener to me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:17 am

Thought this one needed a bump. My hunting buddies roommate was dove hunting a piece of public the other day and ran into a decent 8pt 50 yards from the parking lot right at sun up, he hunted til around 9am and came back to the parking lot to find that same buck in the area...
Holler Hick

Unread postby Holler Hick » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:42 am

Who is Dan and what is his secret for being able to look at a map and knowing where the other hunters will go?
basspro05
500 Club

Unread postby basspro05 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:15 am

Holler Hick wrote:Who is Dan and what is his secret for being able to look at a map and knowing where the other hunters will go?

Dan Infalt is the owner of this site and a very accomplished hunter on both private and public land...he shares his theories and his stories willingly on this forum for others to read.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:24 am

I found a little public spot next to a road last year , less than 100 yards . Nasty little thicket , thorns all over the place . Large rubs in it. Jumped a bedded buck and doe . Also had multiple bucks scent checking from the SE side of this little bedding area .

Ya , who is this "Dan" anyways ;) lol

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Holler Hick

Unread postby Holler Hick » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:32 am

basspro05 wrote:
Holler Hick wrote:Who is Dan and what is his secret for being able to look at a map and knowing where the other hunters will go?

Dan Infalt is the owner of this site and a very accomplished hunter on both private and public land...he shares his theories and his stories willingly on this forum for others to read.

Thanks. I am new to the site and I live on the east coast, so I will ask a lot of questions that may seem stupid to you guys/gals.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:14 am

Holler hick, Welcome to the site . A ton of good info here , search tool will give you a start . I've been bowhunting a long time and still learn from others. This is no doubt the best place to do that , IMO. ;)

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 am

Glad this got a bump. I put a strategy in place back in June. I drive and gps'ed every pull off on the main forest road where I hunt. I then studied the topo and found that there are several small points no one parks near. I scouted just a handful of these so far with a few dozen saved for next year or blind hunts if I run out of beds this season. So far all of the points I've looked at with no pull offs have held beds. The great part is they are easy walks compared to the normal 3/4 to 1.5 miles I'm used to.

Choupic

Unread postby Choupic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:27 am

cdeam wrote:Glad this got a bump. I put a strategy in place back in June. I drive and gps'ed every pull off on the main forest road where I hunt. I then studied the topo and found that there are several small points no one parks near. I scouted just a handful of these so far with a few dozen saved for next year or blind hunts if I run out of beds this season. So far all of the points I've looked at with no pull offs have held beds. The great part is they are easy walks compared to the normal 3/4 to 1.5 miles I'm used to.

That's a great idea , never thought of that .

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:40 am

Choupic wrote:
cdeam wrote:Glad this got a bump. I put a strategy in place back in June. I drive and gps'ed every pull off on the main forest road where I hunt. I then studied the topo and found that there are several small points no one parks near. I scouted just a handful of these so far with a few dozen saved for next year or blind hunts if I run out of beds this season. So far all of the points I've looked at with no pull offs have held beds. The great part is they are easy walks compared to the normal 3/4 to 1.5 miles I'm used to.

That's a great idea , never thought of that .

X2
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Good stuff

[ Post made via Android ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:55 pm

Sam Ubl wrote:If the road is off the beaten path and not heavily driven on, do you suppose he crosses the road after he rises from his bed in the evenings? Is there browse or ag fields across the road? Is that land private or public across the road?

He may wait until total darkness to cross the road to feed into the night instead of heading in the direction of either of the public parking lots.

This is my hunch as well. I can't see him heading toward either parking lot until it's late and quiet. Hope Dan chimes in, but your best shot might be to come in from the water early morning and hope for a shot at him bedded or milling around after daylight.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”