How Many Hang Stands Before Season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Re: How Many Hang Stands Before Season?

Unread postby venisonassassin » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Wrinkleneck wrote:
Dewey wrote:I very rarely hunt out of the same tree more than once or twice in a season since I am constantly moving and hunting different areas.

The first time you sit in a stand is your best chance to kill a deer. ;)

X2

X3

Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:02 pm

Few pre-hung, check em every April to make sure all is good, clean up shooting lanes, change straps or whatever. Mostly mobile w/ the LW's. Has changed my success dramatically.
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:34 am

This will be my first season hunting mobile beast style. Pre hung sets I have seen deer, but only the first time out. So why not have a first time EVERY time you go out. Granted on the one piece of private I can hunt there are stands hanging, and I will try one of them come rut, but The big boy I talked about I have to be mobile to get a crack at him.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:48 pm

[quote="Hill Hunter"]Few pre-hung, check em every April to make sure all is good, clean up shooting lanes, change straps or whatever. quote]

This is the best way to be productive out of permanant stands, if you are tending to you stands now just a few weeks before season , I feel you are doing way more harm than good. That is why being mobile can be so effective, you hang it and hunt it once and that is the first and only time you are in that spot, you have no way to alert the deer you are there until they are in your shooting lanes. If you are going in now and hanging stands or even just checking stands and clearing lanes, your laying down scent and disturbing the area. Any mature deer that were using the area will not continue on the same patterns and you will no longer have the element of surprize.
It's not alot different than placing trail cams in areas you have to walk to to check the card or pull the film,alot of people get great pix the first time they pull their cards but wonder why they have no reoccuring pix of the big boys after they pulled those cards...............
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:42 pm

I have a few permanent stands out. Havent checked them. I will hunt them without disturbance. Have a youth hunt scheduled on the weekend of the 25th (September) from an elevated box blind

I think this is the year to do the treesaddle (bridge loaned it last year and I never sent it back - shh dont even mention I still have it he probably wont miss it).
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:13 am

No hang ons on public for me! More mobile this year with my new Alpha and Sticks set-up! 8-) Already broken in with a 401 lb. bear taken from my new setup! :D My private land spots are all pre hung, but I will have my Alpha and sticks along so I can setup in a pinch if the area is smokin hot!! I always used a climber on public but have found the Alpha way more mobile and just as fast to get set! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:13 am

Three I have set now... Private lands.

If I'm hunting public, than Beast Style is the only way to go.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:51 am

There is nothing wrong with pre-set stands on private land. However, if a guy has only 5 to 10 set ups and hunts a couple times a week mature bucks will have him patterned well before the season takes off... Also, if you hunt the same spots year after year the mature bucks will remember the spots where they ran into scent and danger years past and avoid in daylight.
If the "set stand" is placed on the edge of a buck bedding area safe zone which is where I would want to hunt for daylight movement bucks outside of the rut, one hunt every 30 days is heavy pressure...
One other important aspect for the guys who hunt mature bucks where they bed and live in daylight is that by putting in a permanent stand your limiting yourself to to one tree although there could be multiple variations in the wind direction. I often study the wind closely and hunt winds that are not directly in my face and do somewhat favor the buck. I do this by having several trees picked out in spring when scouting. Sometimes these trees are only 20 yards apart, but based on exact wind that can be crucial.
And in the same situation there is often a couple ways the buck may be exiting his bedding area and after not visiting the hunting spot for a month or maybe a year, you might find an adjustment is in order...
You can kill decent bucks with set stands on a consistent basis on well managed lands, but the best bucks are the mature ones that live to be 5 to 7 years old and have learned to not leave the safe zone in daylight and abandon areas as soon as they smell human ground scent. The only consistent way to kill these bucks that I have found to work is to catch them by complete surprise the very 1st time you set up in a particular spot.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:10 am

I guess I am blessed with having a family farm that is basically my exclusive hunting club. 320 acres- have 30 stands. Years of hanging them, most are cheap, many are old...but they were all hung for a reason. Used to be obsessed with habitat improvement. Due to divorce this year had me out there two days versus 3 weeks or better for plots, prep..etc. I think mature deer have a tendency to move in a similar manner if undisturbed. I also think the ole adage of hang enough stands and even new patterns will find them by an old stand. Mind you, when i leave this property I am 100% mobile. Also run mobile within it as many of these stands are periphery. Just hunt smart and think hard...but thinking this post was more about giving thanks to my good fortune than providing any info beyond my opinion..lol
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:29 am

Dewey wrote:I very rarely hunt out of the same tree more than once or twice in a season since I am constantly moving and hunting different areas.

The first time you sit in a stand is your best chance to kill a deer. ;)

x2. But I do have 4 stands that I hang months before season starts, usually in doe bedding areas. I usually hunt those during the rut. One permanent stand of mine is way back in a hard to access swamp. I leave it there since I don't want to have carry anything that I don't ABSOLUTELY have to.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:10 pm

bump
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:25 am

i have a couple stands in place where i figured i might want to start my season . but i actually have a lot of pre-trimmed tree locations. so i can hang on the fly with not trimming. i have 5 or 6 lonewolfs so lot of the time i will move around 1 stand per farm as my car doesnt give me a lot of room for supplies . i alwys am trying new sets though cause even if you are in the general ballpark with deer travel each deer has its own mind and there may be some adjusting needed for trees even if it is 5 or 10 yards.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:48 am

I will put up about 3-4 pre-set stands by end of Sep for hunting end of Oct and 1st 2 weeks of Nov. This has worked well for me in the past on 4-9 year old bucks even on 3rd and 4th sits. But I hunt them only under ideal conditions and they are located strategically to get in and out without much scent. The key is that I stay completely out of the area until I start hunting end of Oct. I am hunting the rut only. If I had time to hunt earlier, I would be doing mobile only and hunting different spots than my perennial rut spots
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:40 pm

I have completely abandoned pre set stands. I hate having to maintain everything. From trees growing and stretching straps or chains, or tree steps growing into the trees and being unable to remove them, I carry everything in and out every time I hunt. Nothing to get stolen, nobody knows exactly where I am hunting either. I feel much safer getting into a stand I just hung rather than one that has been out for years. If I had a good piece of private, I might keep a ladder stand out for rut hunts with a gun.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Zap wrote:I have stands set on a private piece of land that I have sole permission on.

There is alot to be said for having a stand pre set, I just do not overhunt them.

marty

I agree with this, I think its all about not overhunting a stand. I try and hunt pre hung stands two to three times a year at most and some I'm lucky if I get to once. It's like checking cameras, when I check my cameras outside the rut, I seem to have a few days to a week where I don't get any mature bucks on camera. They know I was there and stay away. Usually though after a week, more or less, I'lll start to catch them on camera again.

We have a guy that has permission to crossbow hunt the land I'm on. He's older and only hunts one stand about 50 yards from where we park by an old barn. He only gets shots at does and small bucks even though he's sees bigger bucks 100 to 150 yards away. The mature deer know he is there and always move around him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”