How Many Hang Stands Before Season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

steve22

Re: How Many Hang Stands Before Season?

Unread postby steve22 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 pm

I only have one stand that I am mobile with, granted its not a lone wolf, because I cannot afford one but, it works just as good, just a little more weight. It's nice being mobile, and being able to set up on hot sign when u find it!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

Unread postby jboswell » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:20 pm

13 ladders preset on private, 3 cheap hangons preset on private ground for me. I only hunt my preset stands 2 or 3 times max (many don't get hunted all season) other hunts are with my alpha and sticks setups. Even on my best 500 acre chunk of private ground that I have sole hunting rights on I find the need to be mobile during the season.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:35 pm

On private land I've hung a few rut stands this summer.
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:57 pm

I used to hang a few stands each year and find a couple for the climber but now I do my scouting and just go in a lil early and hang my hang on and steps and it just made life easier for me, no one to steal my stand and if I have to move locations ill allready have it with me

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:43 pm

I hunt a chunk of National Forest behind my house. It's about 1000sq acres the part that I can physically walk to and hunt from my house and I probably zero in on about 350sq acres of it way back in.

I have 5 climbers and 3 hang ons locked to the base of trees in different sections so if I decide to hunt one area or another I can pick up a stand and not have to carry it all that far. I keep my ultra light hang on, Loc On Limit, close in so I can get it and go in any direction. I also have places where I stash my cold weather clothes way back in so I can pick them up on the way and don't have to pack the extra weight. Some times it will take me two hours from the time I start walking till I get to base of tree I'm going to climb.

Most times I will give a spot an afternoon and morning hunt, then move..unless I see something good. So..I don't have any stands hung before the season.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:16 pm

I have a lot of trees marked on public ground with a reflective tack and sometime with something odd to know the tree during daylight hours such as a whiskey bottle or bucket that I find in the woods. I don't pre-hang stands, just have my trees and shooting lanes prepped. I feel better on public land doing it this way, less chance of someone sitting in my spot, no chance of theft, and I can have a lot more spots ready to go then I could afford to put stands on. If I hunted private land I would have a lot of stands pre-hung.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:27 pm

I hung two stands last Sunday, on my land, positioned to hopefully take advantage of where bucks historically cruise through during the rut (as posted in the "Same spot, every year" thread).

I have another hang-on stand and a ladder stand in the shed, probably put them out this weekend. Hunting other places, both private and public, I hunt out of the LW.
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:05 am

I started hanging our sets probably about a month ago. All of them in places we know will produce when the timing is right. I just set one last night on the edge of a bedding area, as soon as I got home, we got a torrential down pour.

Couldn't have timed it any better. Now I just have to wait till the timing is right and go in there and kill one of the studs that will cruise that area.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:31 am

I got back into hunting last year after decades away.

At first I was pissed about all the hang-ons and ladder stands left in the woods "reserving" trees all season or all year. By the end of the season I figured "if ya can't beat'em,join'em",and bought a few inexpensive hang-ons .

I have a LW hand climber and LW assault and sticks. I have more trees prepped than I'll have time to hunt - probably one out of 3 or 1:4 buck hunting vs "meat". Some trees are convenient yet well hidden and overlooked. Some I can access without leaving a scent trail that can be crossed. I'll hunt those several times over the course of the season on weekdays after work.

I have ones that have tougher access for weekend hunts.

I can't think of a tree that's well hidden enough to risk hanging a pre-hung for someone else to hunt from. The convenience of having it there vs the risk of someone else polluting it before I hunt it?

So now I have 3 brand new stands and a couple/three garage sale stands...That can go with the 3 Moultrie trail cams I bought used last year (6,D batteries each?) that are sitting unused.

Those permanent stands on public land? I sat in one,once last year when I didn't have to to get where I wanted to go. I saw even young does circling around well out of range...looking at me while they detoured...Lesson learned.

100% mobile this year. No tree hunted more than a couple/three times. Most only once.
steve22

Unread postby steve22 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:22 pm

I hung a stand on public land the night before I was going to hunt it the next morning, I walked all the way back there super early, and couldn't find my stand stood I'm the general area until it was light, and sure enough someone stole my stand, don't ask me how they found it, from the time I left which was pretty much dark, until I got there the next morning before light? Still wondering how someone found it

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:44 pm

I currently own 3 stands, a LW Alpha and 4 sticks, a LW sit and climb, and a LW Assassin and 5 mini sticks. I carry my stand in and out on every hunt, I only left my stand in a tree twice last year, one to hunt a morning in the same tree as I did the evening prior (which was a waste of time btw) and the other was after I shot a deer and knew I had to come back to the next day to trail it anyway, so I took it down in daylight instead. My stands are far to valuable to stay out over night 99% of the time(never on public plus it isnt legal where I hunt), and I find it too easy to get sloppy with pre hung stands. I had more big buck encounters last year then I ever had prior, and I know it was because of the mobile ambushes.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't hang stands but I prep trees. All mobile with my Lonewolf hang on and sticks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”