4x4 Post Lone Wolf Idea?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bblefty

4x4 Post Lone Wolf Idea?

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:42 pm

This idea may be crazy or it may not be original at all, but I have been having a problem figuring out how to put a stand in a really thick bedding area which is a cutover. There are zero trees on the entire property to hang my lone wolf on but have 3 or 4 amazing spots where I could use 4-5 feet of height to see over the brush.

What if I take post hole diggers and ground a 4x4 post deep enough to be stable and hang my lone wolf on it. I tried it just now in the backyard and it worked pretty good except that the bottom of the stand is unstable and rocks a bit. Maybe the bottom strap would be helpful in this case.

I may have to do this midseason and take the post hole diggers in on the hunt, In the winter, I could even put up 3 or 4 other posts in different locations. I realize there will not be much cover but attaching cover to the post could be possible.

Has anyone tried this or come up with a better idea?

Bucky

Re: 4x4 Post Lone Wolf Idea?

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Todd Meyers used a telephone pole

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:56 pm

I have a buddy that bought the extension and got in the habit of using it around a couple smaller trees all together when nothing else would work. I would think that idea may help you or others out. It has worked for me when nothing else would.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:05 pm

I've used a tree instead of a 4x4. Also put a few smaller trees around me for cover. Worked great.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:13 pm

BassBoys- Do you mean bringing a tree of appropriate width and digging a hole for it?

Hoosier-Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to figure out how that could work, in one spot, there are many trees close together so it may work.

Bucky-That gave the idea to possibly use a round fence post (8ft at least) instead of a 4x4 so that the batwing on the lone wolf will attach more secure.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:25 pm

bblefty wrote:BassBoys- Do you mean bringing a tree of appropriate width and digging a hole for it?

Hoosier-Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to figure out how that could work, in one spot, there are many trees close together so it may work.

Bucky-That gave the idea to possibly use a round fence post (8ft at least) instead of a 4x4 so that the batwing on the lone wolf will attach more secure.

Yes. No top needed. Use the "skinny" trees for cover.

A couple 2x4s screwed to the base can firm it up when dealing with softer ground. Not usually needed.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:56 pm

I have done this with old power poles, I even used sakrete to make it more solid. I don't use them anymore as the area now has big enough trees.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Dan can probably comment more but one of the stories in his book he used a 8 foot step ladder and set it up in the marsh as a stand. It reached just above the cat tails giving him the visibility he needed. It would be harder to hall out there but is definitely more portal from a positioning standpoint because you could move it from place to place.

Robert

Unread postby Robert » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:30 pm

I have one of the Millennium 10 foot tri pods. Light weight and works great in cattails too!
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:16 pm

I carried a wooden ladder out in the marsh a couple times last season. It wasn't too bad to carry. It gives you a much better view over the cat tails

Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:46 pm

Maybe you should hunt from the ground. I hunted out of a GhostBlind last year and killed a doe the first night we were hunting it. Not ideal but it sometimes works when you can't hunt from a stand and it disappears.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Bucky wrote:Todd Meyers used a telephone pole

Todd showed me his telephone pole set ups when I9 hunted with him in Illinois. Awesome set up and he has killed some deer with it. Set back would be that it took big equipment to put the poles in.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:37 pm

mt008 wrote:Dan can probably comment more but one of the stories in his book he used a 8 foot step ladder and set it up in the marsh as a stand. It reached just above the cat tails giving him the visibility he needed. It would be harder to hall out there but is definitely more portal from a positioning standpoint because you could move it from place to place.

a portable step ladder was exactly what I was thinking when I read this... I have also had luck attaching my stand to bushes and small trees that most would think are to small. I can remember a couple sets where IO strapped around two small trees and pulled them together with the strap to make secure enough to hold my weight with manageable movement/shake.
bblefty

Unread postby bblefty » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:51 pm

Thanks Dan and other beast members, I was thinking about the step ladder at first and may still try it. It seems like if you guys were able to clump several trees together, then I should be able to in this area where there are many smaller trees.

Watching you videos always made me wonder about the minimum tree a lone wolf would be secure in. My only real concern is that it would fall over/bend under my weight (175).
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:14 am

This reminds me of Mr. Warren's "planted tree" story. http://outdoorcore.com/forum/viewtopic. ... le&start=0

For a bedding area I think a folding ladder or tri pod may be the best approach.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”