Deer bedding in cornfields and beanfields?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Deer bedding in cornfields and beanfields?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:11 am

With the corn here in my neck of the woods approaching head high already, I'm wondering if the bucks are headed towards the fields to bed, to avoid bugs, predator's,etc....? The last few years I have noticed bucks coming out of the corn a half hour or so before dark, making it seem like they were bedded there all day long...

Do any of you see this, bedded in corn or beans?

MACHINIST

Re: Deer bedding in cornfields and beanfields?

Unread postby MACHINIST » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:19 am

Definitely bed in the corn all the time,I haven't seen them bed to much in soy beans around here though.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:41 am

Have a 1.5 old buck living in our 4 acre corn patch already. Got one doe that has spent all spring in the rye and corn with her fawn.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:50 am

a few years back, I was glassing a couple of fields from a grain bin. I had been watching the fields for a while when all of the sudden, I noticed a nice buck standing in the middle of the bean field. There were woods scattered among the fields, but I think I would have seen him make his way from the woods to the beans if he came from there. bottom line is, I assume he was bedding in the middle of the beans. Not 100% sure though.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:05 am

See it all the time here with the corn. I assume that is because it's the only place there aren't any hunters.

I actually shot a buck last year that bedded in and on the edge of a bean field (wind dependant) late summer into early fall untill i shot him. I have seen this more than once around here and the consistencies is see with them are.... they are completely over looked spots when they have the right land layout and they do not move untill just before dark if at all before then, especially after they become hard antlered. I guess i should mention that after reading about dan mentioning the lowest and highest elevation changes being key spots in flat land, I have noticed the bucks i witness bedding in a bean field are usually in some sort of little "bowl". Should also mention that the beans were a lot taller than normal last year which is when i saw this the most in one season.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:07 am

I see it in bug season a lot, but not so much in the fall unless there is cover/structure within the corn. Or if the woods surrounding has nothing to offer.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:20 am

Saw a buck that scored mid 190s bedded in a shaded area of beans next to a small woods,all you could see was the rack.Guy shot it muzzleloader season half mile away.
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:51 am

I see this a lot during August into early September. That's when I spend a lot of time glassing fields. Don't see much of this once bow opens (usually mid Sept here) so my guesses would be the bug season and [glow=red]corn does provide some of the best cover for escape[/glow].
gatorbait42

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:23 am

I see bucks bed in beans all the time in the summer especially when they get knee to waist high. I notice the bucks in my area will bed in the corn all year if there is grass in the corn

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:43 am

I have been glassing hard this past week... lots of deer coming out of the corn heading to beans

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Last edited by Bucky on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:49 am

Bucky wrote:[glow=red]I have been gassing hard this past week[/glow]... lots of deer coming out of the corn heading to beans

:shock: :shock: :lol:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:31 am

So do you guys think once October/November rolls around that deer really aren't bedding in the corn? I always hear people say, "well farmer X still has his corn up, the deer are all bedded in there" Do you think people over estimate how many deer actually bed in the corn during hunting season?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
Bucky wrote:[glow=red]I have been gassing hard this past week[/glow]... lots of deer coming out of the corn heading to beans
:lol:

:shock: :shock: :lol:

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:44 pm

Bucky wrote:I have been glassing hard this past week... lots of deer coming out of the corn heading to beans

Bucky, do you notice any correspondence with the moon times in the late evening and deer activity? My time is very limited in the summer but I was going to try to make it out a few evenings to do some glassing. Problem is for me that I have to drive close to an hour to do any glassing on property I can hunt. Just curious...

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:15 am

goldtip5575 wrote:Saw a buck that scored mid 190s bedded in a shaded area of beans next to a small woods,all you could see was the rack.[glow=red]Guy shot it muzzleloader season half mile away.[/glow]

Boy that's a long shot. :shock:

:lol:

I have seen a good buck once bedded in the center of a huge bean field during bow season. You could barely see him from the road, makes me wonder how many are there that are simply not seen.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”