My dilemma....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MnNewb

My dilemma....

Unread postby MnNewb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:33 pm

I am going to make my first try at deer hunting as an adult this year. My prior experience as an early teen was not really hunting, and I really never 'learned' what real hunting was. My goal for this year is to take one deer, regardless of gender.

My dilemma is this. I have the budget for either a nice rifle, or a nice bow. But not both. I'm not sure which way to go. I have experience shooting shotguns, pistols, and .22LR so I am comfortable with guns. But haven't shot a deer rifle in a very long time and I have almost zero experience with a bow. So essentially, I'm a blank canvas.

From what I've read, my takeaway is that bow hunting will make me a better hunter. In addition, it sounds like most deer prefer tighter cover. Both of which have me leaning towards a bow. But given that I haven't truly hunted before, I wonder if I might have better success going with a rifle first, and moving to a bow later on.

My concern with rifle hunting though is that the season here in Minnesota is short. Lasting only about 2 weeks maximum. I have no private land option at this point, so in all likelihood I'll be on public land along with tens of thousands of other Minnesota rifle hunters at the same time.

With all of that hunting pressure it makes me also think that I might have better success just starting out with a bow. Bow season is much longer, and I would think that there are fewer bow hunters up here than there are rifle hunters.

I'd love to here some of your expert opinions on which option would give me the best chance to take my first deer.

Thanks!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

lungpuncher1

Re: My dilemma....

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:03 pm

I'd go with a bow and see if you couldn't borrow a gun for a few days of gun season. Also if your hunting out of a treestand make sure you buy a good quality safety harness. I have an extra if you can't swing it that I'd be happy to mail you if you'd like. Just don't climb a tree without one!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Thats really a personal decision you need to make on your own. I think your more likely to get a deer with as gun than a bow. But getting a deer would not be the biggest reasons I enter the woods.
The differences between gun and bow are huge. Bow takes time and discipline to get good at not only shooting accurately, but also knowing exactly when to shoot and getting within range of daytime movement... You get peace and solitude with a bow. Its a one on one thing. Gun hunting can be groups of guys getting together, or it can be following a deer track, or sitting on sign like with a bow, just a lot more guys out the and you don't have to be quite as proficient with your equipment.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:18 pm

a bow 100%
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
MnNewb

Unread postby MnNewb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:12 pm

Good idea lungpuncher, and a very kind offer.

Let me figure some stuff out here this month, and I just may have to take you up on that!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:25 pm

It's also worth considering that if you haven't shot a bow in a while, or ever, starting in July may be tough to shoot enough to feel comfortable taking a bow to the woods to hunt with. With sights and modern compounds, you could be shooting tight groups in a coupe of hours, but taking it to the woods is a whole different ball game, as I'm sure everyone here can attest to. Spending a fall in the woods with a gun to get used to being close to deer and then hitting it hard with both next year would probably be the path I would recommend.

Another option to consider is used on both. This time of year, quite a few guys get the itch for new archery equipment and good quality used archery gear is pretty widely available. Check the classifieds over on Archery Talk or even ebay/craigs list. Many archery shops have used set-ups too.

You can also get very functional deer rifles for relatively cheap used, depending upon your wants and needs.

Not exactly sure what you're budget is, but if it's $800-$1,000, which is what an outfitted new bow or new rifle with scope will probably run, I would be shocked if you couldn't get both out of the way for that if you looked used.
MnNewb

Unread postby MnNewb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Thanks for the things to think about dan.

Before joining here, I was definately leaning towards a bow. I love people, but between my job, and my home life sometimes I feel like I get people overload. So what you mention about solitude vs groups of guys, that really appealed to me. So does the discipline, and practice. There is a very convenient public 3d shooting range 10 min from my job.

I thought a lot about my post last night. And another thing that came to mind was this.

I don't want it to be too easy. My proudest accomplishments in life have been the most difficult things I've achieved.

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:31 pm

Success isnt always about pulling the trigger. I would buy a bow. First reason is simple-you will have a ton more time to enjoy the woods...and most importantly without the masses that gun season brings! There are a million more reasons...but do you need more ?

MnNewb

Unread postby MnNewb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Agreed Hoosier.

Driving up to public land and seeing a bunch of trucks parked out there would be disheartening at best.

I've always enjoyed hiking, being in the woods, and taking my time.

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:21 am

Just read these posts again...it is a about the journey and not the destination! If you are gonna get a bow count on a backyard target (if where you live that can work). One I get going I shoot daily, and I cant imagine not. Even if its one arrow its better than none. Plus- the woods is about 99% one arrow chances so thats a good plan. Get a bow...

bowslinger

Unread postby bowslinger » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:05 am

what about a muzzle loader if your state lets u can use it during rifle season and during the ml season give u extra time
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:05 am

Southern Minnesota is shotgun only. Not sure where in Minnesota you live and where you are planning on hunting. Maybe you even have a shotgun and could use it as is or invest in a better barrel for it, and still afford a used bow. There is more public land up north but there is some in the south. You may be able to just burrow a gun from a close friend for now. Down here in Southern Minnesota it seems everyone has a shotgun.
Even if you are hunting up north you don't have to use a rifle. I went to school up north and I did not want to buy a rifle so I always just used my shotgun and just set myself up in thicker stuff where my only shots were under 75 yards. If possible I would try to work something out that involves getting a bow. They are a blast to shoot and really will make you an all around better hunter. Good Luck in the woods this year.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:43 am

Lots of good advice, here. I would recommend a bow as well. You will have a much more enjoyable time, avoiding the masses of the gun hunt. There are alot of good starter bows. You could be all set up, for around $500. Also, alot of bowhunters got to have the latest and greatest, and will sell a one year old bow for pennies on the dollar.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:13 am

Not to throw a wrench in it but have you considered a crossbow? If they are legal where you live its a definate consideration. I'm a die hard bow guy but at least with a crossbow you can hunt during the regular archery seasons and the learning curve and practice is minumum. Me, I'm not a big fan, more for philosophical reasons but I know when I'm no longer able to succefully draw a bow I will consider it as a viable option. Just a thought. Other than that Its great that you decided that hunting was something that you once again needed to pursue :clap:
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:30 am

I say bow as well. Not only do you get a longer season, but you can shoot 3-D, target leagues, and just about every shop has a range. A lot of parks have ranges now where you can go and shoot all year. A rifle limits you in a lot of ways besides the short season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”