what's the smallest foam archery target you would use?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What's the smallest foam archery target you would practice with?

9"
29%
10"
14%
11"
No votes
12"
29%
13"
No votes
14"
29%

Total votes: 14
ravot22

what's the smallest foam archery target you would use?

Unread postby ravot22 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:14 am

How small do you feel comfortable shooting?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

hoganator

Re: what's the smallest foam archery target you would use?

Unread postby hoganator » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:32 am

I like to shoot at multiple targets to keep my arrows from hitting each other. The cost of "robin hooded" arrows can add up quick!

I also experiment with long range shots frequently

The bigger the better for me!
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:35 am

Small in my opinion is bad and this is why. I bought a rhinehart throw ball to mess around mostly with my recurve, works great for that but if you want to shoot your compund into it you will mess up more arrows than you can shake a stick at. I would just be sure that your target is pretty static and doesn't move when you shoot otherwise more chance of you smacking arrows when they are in the target. When you put a hit ona small target it moves too much and when the arrows are impacting at different angles its a disaster. If it doesn't move than size wise whatever you feel comfortable with I guess. its fun shooting small targets at 50+ yards. But if you are going to get into tuning your bow walkback style a bigger face is nice. Also you'll wear out a small one quick not too many options to switch impact points. Just a thought.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:41 am

The 16" x 16" block is what I use. I like to practice out the 50-60 yards. The Rheinhart 18 in 1 looks good too!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:17 am

If it stops an arrow, I'll shoot at it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:35 am

I'm aiming for a very small spot so target size really doesn't make any difference to me as long as it stops my arrows. These days I don't fling 100's of arrows in a practice session anymore and limit myself to focussing on only 5-10 shots every day instead so I don't burn my shoulder out as I get older.

I have a Rinehart 18-1, Block target, Morrell Yellow Jacket bag target and a Mckenzie deer target that I rotate shots in.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:06 am

I use a 12x12 target I make up outta old shrink wrap n an empty box from work... they dont cost anything and last a while. When the cardboard gets shot up I just get a new box.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:00 am

I use a 18-1 a lot, works good. When I shoot 45 plus I make sure I have a backstop like a bank just in case something happens.

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:46 am

Dewey wrote:I'm aiming for a very small spot so target size really doesn't make any difference to me as long as it stops my arrows. These days I don't fling 100's of arrows in a practice session anymore and limit myself to focussing on only 5-10 shots every day instead so I don't burn my shoulder out as I get older.

I have a Rinehart 18-1, Block target, Morrell Yellow Jacket bag target and a Mckenzie deer target that I rotate shots in.

x2 .........stinks to get old
ravot22

Unread postby ravot22 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks guys! Looking to build one and wondering what size is favorable.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:40 am

My opinion would be no need to be macho about it, if you want to build a small target go for it but park it in front of a large backstop, occasionally looking for or breaking arrows is a waste of time and money. Just a couple weeks ago I accidentally nocked an arrow under my string loop - DUH - and sent it 2' over my point of aim at 25 yards. Thats after doing it right thousands of times in a row cuz I was distracted.

By the way I build my own targets and using rags beats any kind of foam I have tried as far as durability. All you have to do is replace the bag that holds them, they last forever with field points. I stuff them in feed sacks and shoot away but you can buy replacement bags for bag targets cheap too. You can do whatever you want but just wanted to let you know what I have experienced. Practicing a lot with broadheads would be a reason to use foam though, rags snag on them when you pull them out.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:36 pm

i have a 18-1...i LOVE it...GREAT target!

that being said..joere brings up a VERY vaild point...put it infront of a couple bails of straw or some kind of back stop...

im a fairly good shooter...but i like to stretch my legs and shoot 40-50-60 yards...and till i get dialed in i wiffed a couple this passed summer at long range...i had miles of nothing so safety wasnt a concern..i could SEE farther than an arrow could ever go...but finding 15$ arrows in waist high grass wasnt easy!

small portable targets are nice to take to camp and such though...

i wanna get one of the small rinehart balls to take to camp....i hate dragging even my 18-1 to camp...its not huge..but takes up enough room and weight in my Ranger...throw in a couple coolers, my stands, etc and i am loaded to the gills...and i dont NEED a target up there..i just like to take one to take a few shots every evening just to stay sharp....i need a bigger truck....im not at camp enough to leave a target up there...but every trip my bed is loaded to the gills...i always take either my trapping gear along with my hunting gear or my coon dog along with my hunting gear..theres been times i had to scratch my head on how im getting my buck AND my gear home in 1 trip lol....
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:13 am

I actually remove the insert from my rineheart deer target and set the insert on the ground and shot at it, puts what ur effective range is when 15 dollar arrows will be gone adds pressure to the shot.

ravot22

Unread postby ravot22 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 am

Ha! True the pressure of losing a $15
arrow adds "excitement"!

keb wrote:I actually remove the insert from my rineheart deer target and set the insert on the ground and shot at it, puts what ur effective range is when 15 dollar arrows will be gone adds pressure to the shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”