Acessing Big Buck bed at point

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gander08
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/david.hagan.944

Acessing Big Buck bed at point

Unread postby gander08 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:57 am

Whats the best way to approach a buck thats bedded on a point without spooking other deer that are bedded before his bed at the point? I located a big buck bed last spring littered w rubs in the bed and surrounding the bed. This is a patch of red brush that extends into the cattail marsh a couple hundred yards and is surrounded by water and cattails on all 3 sides. There are also some much smaller beds of does about 100 yds before the tip of the point where the buck is bedded. So, whats the best way to approach the buck without alerting other deer and in return, alerting him? My only idea is to hunt that spot early morning or hunt it on a rainy afternoon to minimize the satellite does from spooking. Please help

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Acessing Big Buck bed at point

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:40 am

If possible, set up far enough away as to not spook any... If its doubtful he will make it that far in daylight go in real early, like noonish when the deer are still groggy ( they seem to be more alert in there beds in the late afternoon. ) and try and slip in. If you spook the deer keep moving, don't stop and stair and keep walking or moving. If you appear to have no interest they don't spook as hard. Lastly, if you spook them don't sweat it, obviously its not something you want to do, but often enough I spook a deer past the bucks bed and he stays put, and he might be wondering what the heck is going on, but if its early he will likely forget about it by the time he gets up. I have spooked deer thru buck bedding areas and a few hours later the buck gets up and walks right in...
I wouldn't do mornings cause they are generally bedded before daylight and often come in wind to face in the morning rather than thru the staging area like in the evening.
I have also had bucks spook when the satellite deer crash by, but keep in mind, you can't kill them if you don't give it a try, and sometimes you just need go in and let what ever happens happen... Just for the record, I have spooked bucks out of there bedding area set up anyway and had them come back after they think the danger passed. Almost killed a 150 last year doing that.
gander08
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/david.hagan.944

Re: Acessing Big Buck bed at point

Unread postby gander08 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:15 am

Thanks for the reply Dan...really enjoy your site.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”