Alfalfa

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Alfalfa

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:41 am

When do you guys usually see Alfalfa start to turn as far as buck use and/or deer use in general?

I have a spot just tore up with sign adjacent to an Alfalfa field. Kind of trying how much attention I should pay to it. I will probably give it a couple trys early then maybe pre rut as it kind of looks like a rut staging area, high concentration of rubs off food and not too far from good bedding.

Any experience?

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Alfalfa

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:55 am

Alfalfa is an anytime food source. I believe right after every cutting the deer head for the cut alfalfa. I have also seen them hit it hard late season after the rut. Even in snow the deer will dig for it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:07 am

Mid-October. Agree with Stan that it is still good, but I see more value hunting over corn or beans, ag wise.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:16 am

After a cut deer tend to flock to it for tender new growth... it tends to heat up after the beans yellow too... clover same thing. So late Sept early Oct it can be killer
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:25 am

Ive also seen deer flock to soybeans or corn when then farmer is cutting in late September or early October. Definitely can be a killer

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:09 am

Bucky wrote:After a cut deer tend to flock to it for tender new growth... it tends to heat up after the beans yellow too... clover same thing. So late Sept early Oct it can be killer

In WI, the last cut generally falls in mid September. Bucky's observations are spot on.

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:25 am

Sounds like it warrants an opening week sit.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:28 am

ozzz wrote:Sounds like it warrants an opening week sit.

Absoletly!
In my experience they hammer it constantly. If you have a secluded spot where they enter the field, it can be very productive early season, rut and late season. The one field I hunt has 3.5+ bucks bedding within 100 yards of it.
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:35 pm

I have many trees ready hundreds of yards into the woods closer to bedding but may take an outside in approach with it. Don't know exactly where he might be bedded so I might be better off playing it safe.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Something that I don't think many hunters realise - deer love alfalfa new seeding (new seeding is alfalfa the first year its planted), I keep a close eye for it, deer pound the stuff through the fall after the beans yellow. Early season all deer use it and as it gets closer to the rut it is doubly attractive to bucks because of all the does using it every night.

Deer like new seeding all the way into late season (its best if its at least a few inches tall) and I think new seeding ranks up there almost as high as acorns as a preferred food source because its the only ag food source I have seen that doesn't go dead when the acorns drop, deer keep hitting it.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:51 am

JoeRE wrote:Something that I don't think many hunters realise - deer love alfalfa new seeding (new seeding is alfalfa the first year its planted), I keep a close eye for it, deer pound the stuff through the fall after the beans yellow. Early season all deer use it and as it gets closer to the rut it is doubly attractive to bucks because of all the does using it every night.

Deer like new seeding all the way into late season (its best if its at least a few inches tall) and I think new seeding ranks up there almost as high as acorns as a preferred food source because its the only ag food source I have seen that doesn't go dead when the acorns drop, deer keep hitting it.

X2
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”