Early Season or Rut?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Early Season or Rut?

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:48 am

Let me setup a scenario:

You have located numerous active buck beds during post season / early spring. All are notated on GPS, studied online topos, and aerials.

The areas are all woodlands, no ag areas around to glass from a distance. Food sources are mainly made up of natural browse and acorns.

SO, question

How do you guys determine what bed locations you have stored you will try and hunt during early season, and which ones would be better suited for rut?

I am talking about lets say you have 10 bed areas for the same wind, and all things equal, as far your knowledge of buck population etc

Are there particular land topography features that may have you hold off on a bedding area until pre-rut/rut season? Maybe buck bedding near by rut funnels or maybe heavier than normal doe bedding?

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Re: Early Season or Rut?

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Early season: Where are the most acorns? If you know where the beds are check for big tracks in those areas. If the tracks are there start methodically hunting the beds in that area (burn out bedding areas, you'll catch up with him eventually)

Rut: Once the rut is full bore I am more worried where the does are and so are the bucks.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:33 pm

Know which trees drop acorns first.
Know where your doe groups are at?
Know where the least amount of pressured areas are.
Trail cameras come in to play with times on activity.
An of course the available info from the deer sign.
Closest beds to the above listed.
Knowing where everybody else is hunting.

I'm sure there is more.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Bed hunting gets much more difficult for me in November (I don't buck bed hunt much at all the first 3 weeks or so of November). For one the buck beds you have located and are hunting, those bucks might not even be around.

Early season for me.
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”