Transition Lines and Wind Tunnel (Hill Country)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Transition Lines and Wind Tunnel (Hill Country)

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:40 am

Hill Country, transition between thick heavy under growing briars inside pine thicket and edging up to open hardwoods.

Lets say you are scouting along a transition line, that has some sign of buck traffic entering and exiting thick cover type habitat....

However the transition line is much lower elevation than the wind tunnel, couple hundred feet below.
Would an entrance/exit along the transition line mostly be used nocturnally in yalls opinion?

I know that's kind of a vague question...but I don't see how I can play the wind that far below the wind tunnel when the thermals would be pulling my scent back up the hill to the beds.

BigHunt

Re: Transition Lines and Wind Tunnel (Hill Country)

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:51 am

I would stay in the tunnel

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:07 am

" yalls opinion?" Big hunt, being from western WI you can understand Redneck talk thank goodness :lol: :lol:

chris
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:12 am

christian1 wrote:" yalls opinion?" Big hunt, being from western WI you can understand Redneck talk thank goodness :lol: :lol:

chris

Id say Big Hunt is just like me, just uses different language. People who don't understand yall, are usually tender footed city folk anyway ;) :lol:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:24 am

backstraps wrote:
christian1 wrote:" yalls opinion?" Big hunt, being from western WI you can understand Redneck talk thank goodness :lol: :lol:

chris

Id say Big Hunt is just like me, just uses different language. People who don't understand yall, are usually tender footed city folk anyway ;) :lol:

;) :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 am

I think they would come out of the thick in daylight below, but them not smelling you before the thermal switch would be very difficult.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:28 pm

dan wrote:I think they would come out of the thick in daylight below, but them not smelling you before the thermal switch would be very difficult.

With your experience in transition lines, do you, or have you hunted along the transition lines in situations like mine?

Or, does the buck sign along the transition lines serve more of a purpose of letting you know their travel routes to and from bedding
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:29 am

backstraps wrote:
dan wrote:I think they would come out of the thick in daylight below, but them not smelling you before the thermal switch would be very difficult.

With your experience in transition lines, do you, or have you hunted along the transition lines in situations like mine?

Or, does the buck sign along the transition lines serve more of a purpose of letting you know their travel routes to and from bedding

The thermal tunnel trumps the transition line if the transition line is at a lower or higher elevation. There will be some movement along the transition line, mostly in mornings early before thermals start picking up, but the best action will be the thermal tunnel area in most cases.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”