Encourage me

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

christian1
500 Club

Encourage me

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:46 am

Dan-if you need to move this to scouting go ahead.

I went for a walk today. Why not? I am on vacation, it's raining and wet and the skeets should be out by the millions. Perfect day to hit a marshy area I should have looked at in March. I walked a good 3/4 mile through raspberry briars and buckthorn. I could see this tree at the end of a point and figured I should give it a look. Here is what I found:

One fresh bed at the end of the point in high grass. My problem is I was discouraged instead of encouraged. It's nearly impossible to hunt. The brush leading out to it is as thick as it comes. The nearest piece of woods is 100 yards away (I am doubting he is gonna make that in daylight, but maybe I am wrong) and also as thick as it comes. I could barely fight my way through that stuff. There are two dead pines about 30 yards from this tree. My thought is that they are way to close to hunt from.

Here is a Bing map of it Image

This will be my first year at stuff like this. This is by no means the first spot I have found like this. Right now I am thinking hunt it from the ground, but I keep hearing how hard that is and I have never attempted it. Looking at the map what do you guys think? There must be spots like this that many of you have experience with. What tactics do you use when faced with these spots that are so thick and nasty and lack good huntable trees close by?

chris
Last edited by christian1 on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

christian1
500 Club

Re: Encourage me

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:47 am

On the Bing map the red dot is the bed and the blue is the dead pine. North is up.

chris
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:50 am

Is that a waterway to the north you could use to sneak in?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:52 am

Yes and no. It is a waterway, but I have a ton of access from the south which would hopefully keep me out of his wind. Getting there really isn't the problem, it's what to do when I arrive :lol:

chris
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:15 am

I would say it's a perfect spot for a ground sit while wearing a ghillie suit. I hunt a marsh spot very similar to that and have great encounters on the ground every time I hunt it. Seems like with lack of trees and the remote location bucks really let their guard down.

christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:00 am

I bought a ghillie and I guess I just need to use it. If I don't try it how can I know if it will work. Dewey, do you use a seat and if so which one?

chris
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:03 am

The fact that you say it seems nearly impossible to hunt makes it sound like a good spot to me. Are the dead pines solid? I've hunted out of dead trees a time or two, probably not the smartest thing but if you can hunt low there is not much risk.

If you hunt from the ground try to be screened partially by grass/brush etc, where the buck cannot see you at a right angle. Shooting lane at an angle after he passes you. I have never been successful from the ground on a buck, but have had encounters with small bucks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:15 am

Any smaller trees you can get up maybe 4-6 feet? I do this a lot and it gives you a decent view and the ability to shoot over some of the thick stuff. Like JM mentions the hard an area to hunt is sometimes = better bedding areas and older bucks. Never get discouraged by an area, think of a way to get it done. Heck even if they bust you a hunter can learn something from it and try something else next time. I've blow a lot of bucks out of their beds on accident, its a learning process.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:18 am

Another thing to remember in the fall all the vegetation won't be nearly as thick so take that into consideration for entrance and visibility. Early season will be nasty but you might be able to catch those bucks further away from their beds so it might be worth a shot hunting 100 yards or more away.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:42 am

christian1 wrote:I bought a ghillie and I guess I just need to use it. If I don't try it how can I know if it will work. Dewey, do you use a seat and if so which one?

chris

I use a Avery Marsh Seat. Since the ground I hunt is usually soft or wet a normal chair won't work unless you set it on a piece of plywood or something like that.

christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:28 am

headgear wrote:Any smaller trees you can get up maybe 4-6 feet? I do this a lot and it gives you a decent view and the ability to shoot over some of the thick stuff. Like JM mentions the hard an area to hunt is sometimes = better bedding areas and older bucks. Never get discouraged by an area, think of a way to get it done. Heck even if they bust you a hunter can learn something from it and try something else next time. I've blow a lot of bucks out of their beds on accident, its a learning process.
'

There really isn't anything but brush--other than those two pines, but like I said they are really close. I could sneak over on the ground if I crawl the 100 yards, but getting up in a tree would be impossible without him seeing me. He is laying looking right at those trees. From the ground might be the only way.

chris
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Can you set a stand right now in the pine...really low facing away from him or at an angle? I would almost cut some branches of the dread tree that might block his view of your ascent to your low perch or add some foliage to stay hidden. I'd think if you put a stand up now facing away from him or at an angle and used the tree between he and you you could do it. I'd have everything in the tree set before the end of the summer though. It's doable....but nearly impossible which will make it all the better!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:07 pm

HoosierG5 wrote:Can you set a stand right now in the pine...really low facing away from him or at an angle? I would almost cut some branches of the dread tree that might block his view of your ascent to your low perch or add some foliage to stay hidden. I'd think if you put a stand up now facing away from him or at an angle and used the tree between he and you you could do it. I'd have everything in the tree set before the end of the summer though. It's doable....but nearly impossible which will make it all the better!

Public land so--no dice.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Can you put a wooden wedge up? Or anything?

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:20 pm

step ladder! what makes it hard is what makes it a good spot

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”