Bears

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TallTines
500 Club

Bears

Unread postby TallTines » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:50 am

How many guys have ran into a bear in the woods and been bluff charged what do you do? I haven't ran into one on the ground yet so that's why I am asking

[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bears

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:40 am

TallTines wrote:How many guys have ran into a bear in the woods and been bluff charged what do you do? I haven't ran into one on the ground yet so that's why I am asking

No worrys... I have run into a lot of bears and every one always heads the other direction. They fear you more than you fear them. Only problem I ever had was with a wounded bear that I had accidently cornered.
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:47 am

What about a mom with cubs

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:55 am

dan wrote:
TallTines wrote:How many guys have ran into a bear in the woods and been bluff charged what do you do? I haven't ran into one on the ground yet so that's why I am asking

No worrys... I have run into a lot of bears and every one always heads the other direction. They fear you more than you fear them. Only problem I ever had was with a wounded bear that I had accidently cornered.

If its the story of with your son and the shotgun at night---that has was simply one of my favorite stories at the workshop. Did you put that one in your book?

chris
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:27 am

I came across a young boar in muzzle loading season in 2010 while I was doing a deer drive for my dad. I kept crossing his tracks in the snow and came to a little clearing and there he was. He was about 20 yards when I saw him and he charged to about 10 yards and turned around and walked away all stiff legged while popping his teeth. Definitely got the adrenalin pumping. I had seen him in the same area that fall a few times while in the truck and he always acted the same way while driving by. Ornery little guy.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:31 am

I never worry about bears in the woods. They are usually long gone before you even know it. I would be much more worried about walking around a big city at night. Those kind of predators are far more dangerous. If you are really concerned about bear you might want to carry a canister of bear spray with you into the woods. Having peace of mind is never a bad thing.

christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:41 am

Had a mom and three cubs come in to 10 yards from my tree two years ago. I didn't want to scare them for fear the cubs would climb a tree and then I would have problems with the mom. She knew I was there, but I couldn't get them to leave. I started talking to her and finally made them move off. Between the wolves and bears I carry a sidearm now. Call me overprotective, but better safe than sorry.

chris
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:32 pm

TallTines wrote:What about a mom with cubs

No issues... There is actually a guy in Minnesota who radio collars bears and for a couple thousand bucks he has a camp where he gaurentees you will be able to touch a real wild black bear... He follows the signals to a mother and cubs and snatches up a cup and passes it around while mom pops her teeth, despite thousands of customers nobody has ever been hurt.

There are two kinds of bear people. Those who fear them and those who think they are harmless... The "think there harmless guys are a little more accurate, but I say you should not fear them, but you should respect them.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:33 pm

christian1 wrote:
dan wrote:

If its the story of with your son and the shotgun at night---that has was simply one of my favorite stories at the workshop. Did you put that one in your book?

chris

Here is a link to that story:
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=1347
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:55 pm

I don't like bear or wolves either. I have seen them while hunting when I was younger and they seem to be harmless if you give them some distance and keep calm. Where I been hunting now for 3 years, there is alot of bear sign and I have never encountered one there yet.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:09 pm

That's still a great story.

TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:16 pm

dan wrote:
christian1 wrote:
dan wrote:

chris

Here is a link to that story:
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... 159&t=1347

That's a great story the boy save you Dan

Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:30 pm

dan wrote:
There are two kinds of bear people. Those who fear them and those who think they are harmless... The "think there harmless guys are a little more accurate, but I say you should not fear them, but you should respect them.

respect is good way to put it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”