Why do bucks leave summer pattern/location?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Robert

Re: Why do bucks leave summer pattern/location?

Unread postby Robert » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Bucky wrote:
Robert wrote:Where I am from in Sheboygan county, there was a buck that a very good friend of mine had found 3 years worth of sheds of the same buck on about 100 acres of land. The buck ended up being shot 6 1\2 miles away during the gun season. He was 7 1\2 years old and scored just over 210 inches. I believe its the biggest buck shot in this county with a gun. Just goes to show how far they travel.

During the rut yes... most of the year... not typically for mature animals

Agreed, it actually really surprised me when I found this all out.

BigHunt

Re: Why do bucks leave summer pattern/location?

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:34 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
BigHills BuckHunter wrote:One of the most amazing observations I've made of an individual buck was in 2008.

The population was low that year. EAB had taken its toll.

I got a pic of an awesome very high racked 8 pointer. Pic was taken around early November.

Then while at the local gas station I saw the dead buck and lucky hunter. But I was confused because his land was so far from ours.

We confirmed it was the same buck.

I just checked how far the distance was on Trimble and I got 4.71 miles as the crow flies. I wonder if low population had anything to do with it.

not sure on low pop , but I know bucks can travel very far during the rut....my Neighbor in western Wisconsin has killed some great bucks. matter of fact my gun buck came running off his land....he has experienced what you have, he's got up close to 1000 acres and he manages it well. has a lot of huge bucks in there during the summer and early fall ( sep-oct). once late October hits the bucks really start traveling, not all of them but a lot of the younger age class bucks do (2-4yo) and get shot miles away from his land 5+ miles and they are confirmed by trail came pics. over there every one went to school with each other so there all friends people talk and eventually it gets back to him so he go's and looks for him self and confirms with trail came pics. its a bummer but it is what it is ......this seems to happen to him every year :lol: I don't think he minds he kills a slob every year....killed a 160 with the bow last year less then 400yards from my cabin yard :shock:

Looking at the size of your gun buck, it's safe assume he came from your neighbors. Did your neighbors have pics of your bow buck?

as strange as it may sound ....no!!!...he had bucks on cam that I didn't , and his cams are 400 yards or so

Hmm that is strange. He might have been far from his core area when you put an arrow in him. .

no.... i think my bow buck was in his "core" area when I shot him...I was getting trail cam pics of him all summer/fall long, less then 300 yards from were I killed him ........
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”