climbing with safety tie off on sticks??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fauxfly

climbing with safety tie off on sticks??

Unread postby fauxfly » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:20 am

So I'm thinking seriously of getting a LW hang on and some sticks...Its between the XOP stuff and the LW stuff, (whole 'nother topic for later).

I'm using a Summit Viper right now for the last few seasons -I have recently gained permission to some huge wood lots a ways from the house - lots of hills so I can't really scout it all this summer. Instead of going in blind and looking for a "climber ready" tree, I'd like to change the methodology a bit and go the hang on/sticks route...my question is when you guys climb up - how are you tied to the tree -( when standing on the sticks)

I'd like to stay tied to the tree to maintain my safety. I'm using the original harness which came with the Summit right now and don't maintain the tie off while ascending - just descending.

Any advice beasts...

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Re: climbing with safety tie off on sticks??

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:28 am

I don’t use a tie off. Three points of contact the way up and down. For me a tie off is not practical since I set and pull every sit. Most people fall transitioning from sticks to the stand or vice versa. I clip my safety harness in before transferring into my stand and don’t unclip until I am back on the sticks.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:33 am

It can be done but I don't either. I really pay attention and take my time when climbing and coming down to the ground. each step is deliberate and thought out. no rush.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:36 am

Here's some videos & equipment discussion.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20108&hilit=Rock+climbing

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
johnsoninc86

Unread postby johnsoninc86 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:41 am

This is a question I'm interested in as well. I assume a lineman's belt is the best solution for being somewhat tied in during ascent for stick and stand setups. Then once your in the stand, tie on as usual with a tree strap to your harness... I'm open for better options though. I practice the 3 points of contact rule at all times as a standard, but would still like to be physically tied to the tree from the time I leave the ground to the time I get back down.

This video shows how I plan to climb this year. I as well am planning on ditching the summit climber for deep woods hunts and going with a stand/stick setup. He hooks into his linemans belt around the 2:45 mark in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fQeTZ_kpM
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:41 am

I usually use just a linemans belt when i am attaching the sticks to the tree. Unless you are able to attach a stick to the tree one handed, you are technically breaking the three points of contact rule. I have attached climbing sticks without the linemens belt though and felt comfortable doing it.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:45 am

I use a Hunter Safety System harness with a lineman belt and am connected to the tree from the ground to my stand and back to the ground again. As a bonus it makes it so much easier to hang sticks and your stand. Just relax back into the lineman belt while doing all of the work hands free. Doesn't get any simpler than that.

If you encounter branches on the way up or down you can use another strap or I use a prussic knot rope with a carabiner. Just hook above the branch and then remove the strap under. That way your always connected to the tree.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:32 am

I use 3 points of contact and attach to the tree before stepping into the stand... Very hard to stay strapped all the way up especially when in close to bedded bucks where movement and noise can end your hunt before it starts.

These two video's will show you exactly how I do it:

Part 1[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJEyFDBV7X4[/bbvideo]

Part 2[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBOa-681Hk[/bbvideo]
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:53 am

A lot depends on the situation. I used to use a lineman's belt every single time I hunted on the way up and the way down. There are times now that I do not. A lot of it is familiarity with my equipment, and a lot of it is simply that I'm not climbing as high as I was with a climber from years ago. There are trees that I climb now in cover that are only 1 or 2 sticks high. If I climb up 3-4-5 sticks I always use a lineman's belt towards the top of the climb and then hook in before making the transition to the stand.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:13 am

dan wrote:I use 3 points of contact and attach to the tree before stepping into the stand... Very hard to stay strapped all the way up especially when in close to bedded bucks where movement and noise can end your hunt before it starts.
]

I believe I am actually quieter with a lineman belt because I can take my time and do everything much slower. With using 3 points of contact you only have one free hand to work with and I find I fumble around and am not nearly as coordinated as using two free hands and a lineman belt.

I know far too many guys that swore they were safe with 3 points of contact and had accidents causing injury. They all now climb exactly like I described. It only takes once to slip and your life can change forever. I had enough close calls in my younger dumber days and vowed to do things smarter not only for myself but my family as well.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:22 am

Just one thought, can you hunt if you fall and get busted up? :think: I'll say no more.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
fauxfly

Unread postby fauxfly » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:39 am

Thanks guys... in the back of my mind - thats pretty muck what I was thinking but was kind of curious as to what you guys do - its a slippery slope us bowhunters operate on - don't strap to the tree to save time and avoid the fight with another rope/strap, do strap to the tree to avoid a fall and the possibility of changing your life forever - changing your families' life forever also!!

Thanks for the thoughts guys!!
obrion

Unread postby obrion » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:06 am

fauxfly wrote:Thanks guys... in the back of my mind - thats pretty muck what I was thinking but was kind of curious as to what you guys do - its a slippery slope us bowhunters operate on - don't strap to the tree to save time and avoid the fight with another rope/strap, do strap to the tree to avoid a fall and the possibility of changing your life forever - changing your families' life forever also!!

Thanks for the thoughts guys!!

I know everyone has their own priorities. In the battle of Safety vs. Efficiency, Safety always wins in my boat. I would gladly pass up the biggest buck in the world if it meant me coming home safe to my family another day. One of the biggest lessons i learned from Dan in terms all aspects of my hunting was too "SLOW DOWN". Don't be in such a rush. Take your time! Be calculated and methodical and apply it to all aspects of hunting. Just remember you will learn something every time you hang your stand in terms of making things work better for you. And what works for you may not work for others. I will recommend you to learn to cam lock your stand (practice low to the ground) and get some of those stealth strips to quiet your sticks. (Dan explains it in his videos.) The lone wolf will open a lot of doors compared to that viper. I would also get a rope style safety strap it's way easier to use and it doubles as a linemen belt in which you can use to hang your steps.

Later!
Muy Grande
Location: Alabama; chase whitetails in Tennessee and Kentucky

Unread postby Muy Grande » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:56 am

Coming from someone who has taken that fall, I'll go with the lineman's belt method on the way up. I think if you really take your time it doesn't add much more movement, and I do find it easier to work with both hands free. If it does happen to cost me a deer, so be it. I have little desire to be laying in the leaves 25 feet below my stand with a shattered pelvis and unable to move again.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:06 am

Ive climbed with and without a harness over the years and from now on its a harness and linemans belt all the way.

I have never taken a fall but I have pulled some one handed stuff that makes my palms sweat thinking about it. One day I got home from hunting and my daughter was so excited to see me and hear about the hunt but all I could think about was what a privilege it was to come home to my loving family. As I looked into her eyes I made up my mind that I am never climbing again without a linemans rope. In my mind I owe it to my family and time over safety is a selfish act. Hunting is a hobby but my family is my life.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”