Fence row stand entrance question.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Re: Fence row stand entrance question.

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:31 am

I visited this property yesterday to have a quick look around. I stuck lock on up in a pin oak I prepped this spring, it was the only tree available that covered all the likely deer trails coming into the SW corner of the property. I would have had to have my lone wolf at the exact right height to to get the best opportunity out of this stand location. It's something that I've been thinking about for a couple months now, so I went with the lock on to make sure I could maximize my shot opportunities. Now if a deer uses that corner, I will be able to get a shot at it. The best part is, if I get a wind from the west, NW or North, my scent will blow right to a house. I'm pumped about this spot, it's very low impact and in a very high traffic area. I had originally envisioned this being a rut stand, but there were several large tracks in the corner of the field (definitely worth an early season sit). The way they planted the corn has the rows running right to the stand site, funneling the deer right to me and the farmer conveniently left a 25 yard half circle unplanted right in the corner of the field, providing a hidden opening for the deer and a lot of shot opportunities for me. I also checked the islands in the corn field, and just like I expected the bed I found a few years ago is worn to the dirt with the corn now head high. I would typically use my lone wolf but this setup seems so much like a sure bet, I didn't want to take any chances of inadvertent noise. I'll post an update the first week of October.(Hopefully with some kill zone photos).

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:26 am

Good plan and good luck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Tractorsaw1

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Good luck with the setup. I hung a stand over the 4th on my FIL 10 acre homestead. Thanks to the beast & map browsing I had located a nice pinch from timber out to a really big ag field in his front yard. I walked over where the other property lines come together, pasture on one side & came to the conclusion this should be a great staging area for bucks checking the field on a south west wind. This spot is the low spot on the field. I had my stand setup with a 20 yard shot to the fence line & looked up to see a two year old rub on a nice sized tree. I will post up a map later, but Its nice to be stoked up over a setup prepped in July.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:51 pm

Sounds good.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”