Hunting same bed year after year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Hunting same bed year after year

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:41 am

I've got four beds that seem to be used every year and not by the same buck. It's like a house, the former owner could pass on but then someone else moves in. The most famous is a bed that I've known has been used over 10 years now.

Do you have beds that produce every year?

Have you noticed different ages in bucks bedding there or just mature bucks?

Have you ever killed 2 or more bucks from same bed years apart? That would be an awesome story!

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Hunting same bed year after year

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:45 am

Great question. I'm new to all this bed hunting so I'm anxious to hear from the HB guys!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:00 am

I am new to bed hunting too, but this spring I decided to look into areas where I had seen big bucks enter/exit in mornings and evenings in past years and on a few occasions I found beds where they're "supposed to be". For example, On one property I hunt most of the big bucks come out of the same little patch of cattails with a point of willows/red brush extending into them. This isn't really a marsh, just a small patch surrounded by upland; anyway I found smaller beds as there was no big buck using it this year, but it seems to have been used every year for the last decade. Now that I know why I see bucks around that area I'm hoping to kill the next big one that moves in.

Curious to see what the more experienced bed hunters have to say.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:10 am

I know of a bed that I killed a 140 inch 8 point out of two years ago that was used by 3 different bucks this year. I set up on it 3 different times. Had a small basket rack come out one evening and then had a nice 10 point the 2nd time I set up on it. He stayed out of bow range though. 3rd time I saw nothing but did stick a trail camera up near a food source that is about 250 yards away and started seeing a 9 point show up there late season and I know he was coming from that bed. Last year when I killed the 8 point from it I saw him and two other bucks use that bed at different times.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
TallTines
500 Club

Unread postby TallTines » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:18 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I've got four beds that seem to be used every year and not by the same buck. It's like a house, the former owner could pass on but then someone else moves in. The most famous is a bed that I've known has been used over 10 years now.

Do you have beds that produce every year?

Have you noticed different ages in bucks bedding there or just mature bucks?

Have you ever killed 2 or more bucks from same bed years apart? That would be an awesome story!

I was wondering the samething

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Hoyt Nitrum 30 70lb 29 draw
Easton Axis 340
Nap Killzone 2"
Lone Wolf Alpha Hang-on
Lone Wolf assault Hang-on
Lone Wolf hand climber[/glow]
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:47 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:I know of a bed that I killed a 140 inch 8 point out of two years ago that was used by 3 different bucks this year. I set up on it 3 different times. Had a small basket rack come out one evening and then had a nice 10 point the 2nd time I set up on it. He stayed out of bow range though. 3rd time I saw nothing but did stick a trail camera up near a food source that is about 250 yards away and started seeing a 9 point show up there late season and I know he was coming from that bed. Last year when I killed the 8 point from it I saw him and two other bucks use that bed at different times.

Good insight thanks!

The buck I killed last fall, his bed was used by a 130 plus 8 pointer which was about 19 wide. Unfortunately I wounded this buck. A yearling came with him. I have a small natural spring to mobile setup on about 100 yards from bedding.

Then 6 days later a new buck came out of the bed on same trail. I hit him at 7 yards being setup just 8 feet off the ground. I used vines and brush around the tree for cover. A good 3 yr old 8 point. Guessing on age.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:17 am

I think some beds (not all) change daily, weekly yearly. In fact I know they do. If a food source changes the bed location can change. If the bed is in river bottoms and the river floods the buck often changes his bed to higher ground. If the bed is in a nice shaded area and a tree blows over putting sunlight on the bed the buck will sometimes change. Same with an overhead canopy early season the bed may be shaded, late season the foliage changes sun light hits the bed, and so do the beds may change. wind direction will effect bed locations.

Sometimes a buck just changes a bed and who knows for what reasons. In hot weather I have seen bucks bed in low lying sand and never return to that bed again. I'm talking day bedding that I have personally seen or have on trail camera. This is why I feel it is important to have many beds located not just one. I also think in some areas knowing a bedding area rather than just one bed is productive.

I saw 6 or 7 bucks bed in the same bed in one day a few years ago 20 yards from where I was hunting. It was in a big old oak dead fall. I though I was really on to something. Never saw another buck use that bed and I check it every chance I get. There is no sign of it ever being used again.

I bumped a 6.5 year old buck out of a bed on a small land point surrounded by deep ditches. This was early season. The buck never used that bed again as far as I could tell. I did kill the buck a few weeks later 1/4 mile away.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:52 am

Stan, you absolutely correct... But so is the original poster... They do move around, but when they are in a certain area they use the primary beds in that location.

I have a bunch of great bedding spots that produce big bucks on a regular basis. One spot has produced sightings of probably 15 different mature bucks in the last 10 years with me taking a few of them.

Yes indeed the best spots get used year after year.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:54 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
Bowhunter4life wrote:I know of a bed that I killed a 140 inch 8 point out of two years ago that was used by 3 different bucks this year. I set up on it 3 different times. Had a small basket rack come out one evening and then had a nice 10 point the 2nd time I set up on it. He stayed out of bow range though. 3rd time I saw nothing but did stick a trail camera up near a food source that is about 250 yards away and started seeing a 9 point show up there late season and I know he was coming from that bed. Last year when I killed the 8 point from it I saw him and two other bucks use that bed at different times.

Good insight thanks!

The buck I killed last fall, his bed was used by a 130 plus 8 pointer which was about 19 wide. Unfortunately I wounded this buck. A yearling came with him. I have a small natural spring to mobile setup on about 100 yards from bedding.

Then 6 days later a new buck came out of the bed on same trail. I hit him at 7 yards being setup just 8 feet off the ground. I used vines and brush around the tree for cover. A good 3 yr old 8 point. Guessing on age.

Nicely done hunting from a low elevation. I believe I have a lot to learn when it comes to bed hunting. That's what I like about this site. I know it works as i have killed several bucks from less that 120 yards away from their bed. I believe a lot depends on each bed whether it is used year after year or just for a certain time of the season. Just as Stanley pointed out in the post above. I know this past bow season i thought I had this buck pinned on his bedding location and I went in for the kill. As I'm walking in to set up on him I jumped him out of a completely different location. I never knew there was even a bed there. After jumping him I took a look at the bed and just days later killed him from that exact bed. I have also located other beds and set up on them to never see a single deer. Just a lot to learn about bed hunting and what beds are used more than others. With the information on this site and just trial and error I believe I'll become better at it each year or at least I hope. This is going to be an interesting thread and I'm curious to see what other experienced bed hunters have to share.

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:42 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:

Good insight thanks!

Nicely done hunting from a low elevation. I believe I have a lot to learn when it comes to bed hunting. That's what I like about this site. I know it works as i have killed several bucks from less that 120 yards away from their bed. I believe a lot depends on each bed whether it is used year after year or just for a certain time of the season. Just as Stanley pointed out in the post above. I know this past bow season i thought I had this buck pinned on his bedding location and I went in for the kill. As I'm walking in to set up on him I jumped him out of a completely different location. I never knew there was even a bed there. After jumping him I took a look at the bed and just days later killed him from that exact bed. I have also located other beds and set up on them to never see a single deer. Just a lot to learn about bed hunting and what beds are used more than others. With the information on this site and just trial and error I believe I'll become better at it each year or at least I hope. This is going to be an interesting thread and I'm curious to see what other experienced bed hunters have to share.

I like your strategy of setting up on the bumped bucks bed, despite what you knew from the past. You are well on your way for sure. I still havnt arrived yet either. I don't ever want to get to the arrival point but instead just keep learning and let my wall do the talking.

From what I've learned and experienced, quick readjustment wins out, especially on an older buck. I'm sure some guys are against this technique but it's what I've seen.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:55 am

dan wrote:Stan, you absolutely correct... But so is the original poster... They do move around, but when they are in a certain area they use the primary beds in that location.

I have a bunch of great bedding spots that produce big bucks on a regular basis. One spot has produced sightings of probably 15 different mature bucks in the last 10 years with me taking a few of them.

100% understand. This is why I like to tell the younger hunters to never put all their eggs into one basket. Another thing I could have mentioned reservoirs are usually a more constant than rivers for bedding purposes. The water levels can be/are regulated on reservoirs compared to most small rivers & streams that have no flood control.

If you find a good bed keep looking for more. Most guys don't have the experience skill set to determine primary beds (this is a developmental skill). I also think finding those areas with primary bedding is important. Once the hunter develops those skills I think everything becomes easier.

I think the main point I was trying to get across if a buck is in a bed and the temps get into the 90s I have seen bucks change beds to a cooler location. I don't necessarily think it is a primary bed either. Just a bed in that bedding area (safe zone). Danger trumps all when it comes to big bucks. That also must be kept in mind. If the bed you are hunting has predators in that area, that bed will more than likely be empty primary or not. I have seen yotes and dogs keep not only bucks, but all deer out of an area.

This also is a good a reason to have options. Just some food for thought. Great topic.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:10 am

Stanley wrote:
dan wrote:Stan, you absolutely correct... But so is the original poster... They do move around, but when they are in a certain area they use the primary beds in that location.

100% understand. This is why I like to tell the younger hunters to never put all their eggs into one basket. Another thing I could have mentioned reservoirs are usually a more constant than rivers for bedding purposes. The water levels can be/are regulated on reservoirs compared to most small rivers & streams that have no flood control.

If you find a good bed keep looking for more. Most guys don't have the experience skill set to determine primary beds (this is a developmental skill). I also think finding those areas with primary bedding is important. Once the hunter develops those skills I think everything becomes easier.

I think the main point I was trying to get across if a buck is in a bed and the temps get into the 90s I have seen bucks change beds to a cooler location. I don't necessarily think it is a primary bed either. Just a bed in that bedding area (safe zone). Danger trumps all when it comes to big bucks. That also must be kept in mind. If the bed you are hunting has predators in that area, that bed will more than likely be empty primary or not. I have seen yotes and dogs keep not only bucks, but all deer out of an area.

This also is a good a reason to have options. Just some food for thought. Great topic.

I see your point Stan and actually you are more right than I am. First of all, getting a second or third chance on a bed is rare. So that would mean I better have a bunch of beds to work with. Like you said the variables play a big role. If he doesn't feel safe why would he bed there?

Also I'm a hill country farmland hunter. I'm used to looking for beds on points that usually lead to a ravine or crops. Put me in bigwoods with flat terrain and I'm lost.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:12 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:

Good insight thanks!

I like your strategy of setting up on the bumped bucks bed, despite what you knew from the past. You are well on your way for sure. I still havnt arrived yet either. I don't ever want to get to the arrival point but instead just keep learning and let my wall do the talking.

From what I've learned and experienced, quick readjustment wins out, especially on an older buck. I'm sure some guys are against this technique but it's what I've seen.

Completely agree. So far it has worked well for me

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:58 am

I have been doing it this way my whole life, and I never stop learning. I think this website is a great tool where we can all learn together...

What a lot of the younger guys and new to this style guys are going to find out is its not the instant success in most cases that they expect. It can take years of scouting and hunting to really get good at this.

When it comes to primary buck bedding areas I have about 20 in the area near my home that I hunt, I have thousands of beds that are used for certain reasons, but only about 20 bedding areas I would call primary... So, more often than not, Im not hunting a primary, but even so, the over all majority of my bucks are shot coming out of primary beds... You see so many guys get really excited when they find there 1st bed or two... But a lot of these spots don't pay off. And you loose a lot over the years for one reason or another. You need to keep scouting, keep hunting, and keep adding the spots to the list. If you put a good amount of time into a spot and it don't pay off, try some new spots and drop the unproductive.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:20 am

Stanley wrote:

I see your point Stan and actually you are more right than I am. First of all, getting a second or third chance on a bed is rare. So that would mean I better have a bunch of beds to work with. Like you said the variables play a big role. If he doesn't feel safe why would he bed there?

Also I'm a hill country farmland hunter. I'm used to looking for beds on points that usually lead to a ravine or crops. Put me in bigwoods with flat terrain and I'm lost.

I would not say I am more right, I just like to point out variables (hunting is game of variables). I hunt hill country/farmland as well as flat farmland ground. In my honest opinion the beds are easier to find in the hills. But I think killing a buck out of a hill bed is way tougher. I don't think it is even close in comparison to difficulty. I agree with you 100% on a buck must feel safe to bed a certain bed. Danger trumps all, as I've said before.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”