Iowa early bow season on public land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Iowa early bow season on public land

Unread postby john1984 » Sat May 31, 2014 8:51 am

Have any of you ever killed a buck 135" or bigger on public land in Iowa before October 16th????? If not, do you know anyone that has done it? Because someone said its real easy to do and any first year hunter can do it easily.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Re: Iowa early bow season on public land

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sat May 31, 2014 9:00 am

I think mabe you jumped the gun a little lol.you should ask how many have tried

[ Post made via Android ] Image
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:12 am

iowa whitetail wrote:I think mabe you jumped the gun a little lol.you should ask how many have tried

So your saying the public land in Iowa gets extremely low hunting pressure the first half of October ?? So if I did try early season public in Iowa I would have the woods to myself for the most part? And I could easily kill a 135" or bigger by just hunting a field edge ?

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sat May 31, 2014 9:28 am

Think your thrown off by the hole 135 inch thing. That's a 2 or 3 year old hear that's not mature. So that being said people that do hunt that time of year or any other time of year let them walk past them.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:52 am

Well I guess I better go down there and kill those 2.5 year old 135's then .

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:59 am

For some reason I can't view some pics on old pics from this site from my phone, but obviously you are a great hunter because you have been very close to knowing the things only a mature buck could possibly know. I'm just jealous of you man, no harm. I hope you live a long happy life.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:11 am

I just gotta see it 2 believe it. All these 135" inch bucks walking around in legal shooting time on open for everyone to easily see field edges on public ground for the first 2 weeks in October on public in Iowa . All these public land hunters are just passing em by one at a time???????? Wow! Cool. Iowa is deer hunting paradise.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat May 31, 2014 10:34 am

Hunting early in Iowa (most anywhere for that matter) you will not only see less people, you will also see less bucks of any size. Early season, is where knowing where the buck beds are pays off.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 31, 2014 10:41 am

I have seen some pretty big Iowa early season mature bucks, but can't say I ever shot one in Iowa Early. Hard to do long distance with a tag every 3 or 4 years.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Sat May 31, 2014 12:22 pm

I moved from Wisconsin to Iowa for school and have Hunted public the last two years. I can tell you that although the hunting is good there isn't a big buck behind every tree or walking out in the open fields (at least on public). You still have to know your stuff and I think bed hunting is your best bet. This will be my first year hunting needs so I'll let you know how that goes. I've actually shot bigger bucks in Wisconsin on public but as others have said the hunting pressure is low early season. The locals I've talked to say the deer population is down and the big deer you see on tv are on big farms and ate not what you should expect to see on public. Good luck.

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sat May 31, 2014 12:46 pm

Ya not a big deer behind every tree and TV has got people to think that. I do think killing a 135 inch any time even early season

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat May 31, 2014 4:26 pm

By my thinking a hunter needs to be diversified. Early season the hunter goes to the buck. During the rut the buck goes to the hunter. :think: Just some food for thought.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:56 am

Stanley wrote:By my thinking a hunter needs to be diversified. Early season the hunter goes to the buck. During the rut the buck goes to the hunter. :think: Just some food for thought.

Excellent way of putting it, Stan.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:53 am

There is very little bow hunting pressure the first two weeks of October but there is a whole lot of small game hunters on public land in that time period stomping through everything. I know of no one who has consistently killed that size of deer year after year on public. Big bucks that time of year stay very isolated and you have to really be on your game to find and kill them. Before the corn comes out there is huge amounts of cover available to them.

The few hunters that might be good enough to do it will go after something bigger which can take them longer to get. The proof is in the pudding. If it was easy to kill a 135" buck in the first two weeks on public land just about everyone would do it - quite a few guys can pass a 120" deer - and it might grow a bit by the time they tell somebody about it - but a 135 is a lot tougher to pass.

On the other hand I am sure its easier here in Iowa than compared to WI, MN etc because there are more bucks of that caliber wandering around.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:04 am

JoeRE wrote:There is very little bow hunting pressure the first two weeks of October but there is a whole lot of small game hunters on public land in that time period stomping through everything. I know of no one who has consistently killed that size of deer year after year on public. Big bucks that time of year stay very isolated and you have to really be on your game to find and kill them. Before the corn comes out there is huge amounts of cover available to them.

The few hunters that might be good enough to do it will go after something bigger which can take them longer to get. The proof is in the pudding. If it was easy to kill a 135" buck in the first two weeks on public land just about everyone would do it - quite a few guys can pass a 120" deer - and it might grow a bit by the time they tell somebody about it - but a 135 is a lot tougher to pass.

On the other hand I am sure its easier here in Iowa than compared to WI, MN etc because there are more bucks of that caliber wandering around.

Great post. I think Wisconsin has more bucks in the 135 range than Iowa does. It also has more hunters and more hills.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”