What is your stand height attitude?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

What is your stand height attitude?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun May 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Everything else being equal...that is, assuming there was just as good of cover at 12 feet, 15 feet, 18 feet or 20 feet or 25 feet, how high would you set your stand? Would you normally set it as high as possible or as low as possible somewhere in between?

I set a stand today...I have about the same shot availability at 12/15 feet as I would at 20 foot or higher. I set it about 15 feet because I really don't like heights but I have this nagging feeling I should go higher just because I can.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Wapiti

Re: What is your stand height attitude?

Unread postby Wapiti » Sun May 25, 2014 10:51 pm

In flat terrain with equal cover at various elevations in the tree, I climb to ~25'.

It depends on prevailing wind/thermals/buck's line of sight when hunting terrain features.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun May 25, 2014 11:10 pm

I try to stay at 6-15 feet dependent of cover. I don't like setting in a spot where I have to hunt 30 feet. I have done that several times. But since I have started using lock-on stands a lot. I have migrated to tighter areas where you have fewer choices an smaller twisted an deformed trees.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun May 25, 2014 11:27 pm

A lower stand will give you a much better shot angle. I have migrated to hunting lower over the years and typically hill country is the place you might need to get way up there to get above the thermal zone. Weapon choice also makes a difference. I like to get way up with gun.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
nater

Unread postby nater » Mon May 26, 2014 12:08 am

I don't like being further up than I have to be for safety reasons, but I do find myself going higher as I get more comfortable later in the season. At least that's the case with my climber.

That being said, I do not watch wind/thermals as closely as I should. There have undoubtedly been times when I've been winded that I could have avoided if I had moved further up.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon May 26, 2014 12:22 am

Well starters I'm scared of heights...

A couple things make me feel safer.
1) Diameter of tree (+12-15" is nice)
2) Type of tree (Hemlocks with branches are ideal)

I would say with 4-climbing sticks and my lengthy 29" inseam puts me between 14-18'...
However I have been as high as 27'.

A lot depends on trajectory of shot for what I believe is an ethical kill - however if I have my choice it would be closer to the 20' mark...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Mon May 26, 2014 1:43 am

I am of the mindset to try to use the terrain to my advantage. I try to imagine where I expect the deer to come from and exactly where they will be standing when I shoot and set my stands to that specific spot. I dont want to be to high and create a difficult shot angle/single lung hits. If I set up and expect a little longer shot in the 30-40 yard range I may set up in the 25-26 foot range, if I am expecting a 10 yard shot I may be in the 14-15 foot range.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 26, 2014 1:52 am

Scent,cover, and shot angle dictate where I put the stand. It could be anywhere from from a hole in the ground to 30 feet high... Personal preference for ideal would be at about 18 feet. But rarely is a stand set at an "ideal" height for me. Cover and air movement are the biggest factors.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon May 26, 2014 2:20 am

12-15 feet.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon May 26, 2014 3:18 am

Platform height 15-18 feet. I have hunted lower but not much higher. I just am comfortable at 15-18.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon May 26, 2014 6:20 am

I goes as high as I can safely, usually ends up being 18-20, but If I can get i some dense cover lower I will adjust. Also certai heights may eexpand limit my shot opportunities so I adjust accordingly...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon May 26, 2014 7:12 am

Does anyone think there is much difference in scent dispersion between, say 15 feet, 18 feet, and 20 feet? Assuming you have the same amount of cover at any of those heights?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 26, 2014 7:14 am

I set up whatever height I need to be as long as it offers me any type of cover advantage but rarely go over 20 eet with a hang on stand. With my climber I sometimes set up higher but mostly for gun hunting to extend my range if needed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tapeworm

Unread postby Tapeworm » Mon May 26, 2014 11:51 am

Anywhere from 8 ft where im above palmettos but below scrub oak canopy to around 40 ft in a couple clearcuts. All depends on where I expect deer, wind, available tree cover, etc.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon May 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Same as Dan. 30+ feet to sitting in a hole with 18' and cover being my happy place.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”