success hunting scrapes after rain??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

success hunting scrapes after rain??

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun May 25, 2014 12:52 pm

After reading Dans story about the one hour deer season, I'm curious who all has had success on hunting scrapes after precipitation? I personally have never really had any luck hunting scrapes but I haven't hunted near many either. I know this was a primary scrape near the bucks bed but it had me thinking about this and if anyone has used this tactic to take a buck?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Wapiti

Re: success hunting scrapes after rain??

Unread postby Wapiti » Sun May 25, 2014 10:54 pm

The only time I really focus on scrapes is in the latter part of October. I've focused mainly on primary scrape areas and have had mixed success. Generally, during light rains and following light to moderate rain events have been better for me than other weather/precip conditions during this period.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon May 26, 2014 12:26 am

I don't focus on scrapes alone anymore. I find it better to look at scrapes as a night time activity. I look at scrapes an then think where are they from here. Not, if I sit here they will come attitude. I think where are they feeding? Where are the does feeding at an before dark an right after daylight. Then, where are the bedding areas from here? If the scrapes happen to line up with bedding an feeding areas. Then that is a plus.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon May 26, 2014 2:22 am

I killed a buck in 2011 as he came to refresh a bunch of scrapes after a morning rain.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Mon May 26, 2014 12:46 pm

Well I have never had much faith in hunting scrapes and has never been something I've sat over. I do feel that one being near a buck bedding area after a rain could be a great spot to be if all the other conditions line up as well.

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:57 am

The last week of October is always good for hunting scrapes near terrain features for me. Once Halloween hits, deer are moving looking for love. If I can find a rain forecasted during that time and can get to the woods you better believe I'd be near a hot scrape.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue May 27, 2014 11:04 am

The only time I witnessed a descent buck working a scrape line, during hunting hours was maybe 30 mins after a steady rain that lasted a couple hours. It was Nov 1st, and he went from one to another.

I was blown away mostly because the scrape line he was working was a field edge scrape line, one of those in which I always assumed were nocturnal scrapes!

I cant recall ever setting up over a scrape intentionally. I have set a couple stands to look nearby after setup and see a couple scrapes within range. Never shot anything working a scrape though.
bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Thu May 29, 2014 8:42 am

I have heard that bucks will freshen scrapes after a rain. Do you guys hunt within shooting range of a primary scrape?
I would assume a mature buck would approach down wind of a scrape to scent check for danger.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 29, 2014 9:41 am

bucksnbows wrote:I have heard that bucks will freshen scrapes after a rain. Do you guys hunt within shooting range of a primary scrape?
I would assume a mature buck would approach down wind of a scrape to scent check for danger.

I have shot several of my biggest bucks over scrapes... Usually very close to the bucks bed. I have seen them walk past down wind but generally they walk straight in.
bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Thu May 29, 2014 10:38 am

dan wrote:
bucksnbows wrote:I have heard that bucks will freshen scrapes after a rain. Do you guys hunt within shooting range of a primary scrape?

I have shot several of my biggest bucks over scrapes... Usually very close to the bucks bed. I have seen them walk past down wind but generally they walk straight in.

So do you think they walk straight in because it is so close to bedding?
I have only found one primary scrape area in a secluded area somewhat but some guy started hunting it and very carelessly. Most of them are field edges and usually hit at night.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 29, 2014 10:44 am

I don't think bucks wind scrapes because they think its a trap... If they thought the area was unsafe they just would not scrape there in the 1st place... When scenting a scrape from a distance, I think they are smelling for other visiting deer to the scrape. And usually, the scrape line is along the bucks preferred travel lane when he goes thru a certain area, so usually he comes thru on the scrape line if he made it... The over all majority of scrapes are made and visited at night. If you want to kill bucks over a scrape it should be in the right location. Such as a cruising area used in daylight rut, or a primary scrape that is near bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”