How many beds do Mature bucks have?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

How many beds do Mature bucks have?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat May 24, 2014 9:12 am

I feel silly I don't know this but, I don't.

I've found mature buck beds and even found at least 2 of the same buck due to his unique rub.

I am aiming this thread towards the early season up until Chase phase of rut because they can be anywhere then and bed anywhere too.

From what I've seen, it seems like it depends on the buck, because I knew one buck who would bed all over and another who would bed in same spot consistently. Both mature bucks or 4.5+.

I guess another question is, What would be average number of beds for a mature buck? I have no idea.

ozzz

Re: How many beds do Mature bucks have?

Unread postby ozzz » Sat May 24, 2014 9:27 am

I certainly dont think there are many absolutes when it comes to mature bucks but I would think some of the more experienced guys will have some opinions on this.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 am

I think a mature buck has dozens of beds he will use in that time period in my experience in farm and hill country. Some bucks will come back to the same spot day after day (what I call a homebody buck) while some will not bed in the same place back to back days all fall. I have seen bucks that fit both these descriptions and a lot in between. A mature buck has a smaller number of primary bedding spots but a primary bed is just one that is used more frequently than other bedding that just happens to work for him in a situation. I would say "average" might be less than half a dozen primary bedding spots that you can count on a mature buck using multiple times through the fall. Mature bucks learn what it takes to stay alive and stick to it but you still will find both ends of the spectrum too. That's what I have seen anyway.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat May 24, 2014 10:47 am

I think it would depend a lot an terrain.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Terrain and the amount of bedding areas within his core area should calculate in.... So, if I am hunting an area that has 20 primary bedding areas and 6 shooters, I am going to have a lot higher percentage of chance than hunting an area the same size even if it has double the shooters (12) if it has 100 bedding areas..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”