Leeward side question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

Leeward side question

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Mon May 19, 2014 3:01 am

This spring I got some boots on the ground in an area I suspect buck bedding. I never was able to locate a bed, but I did locate a solid pinch point just above a steep draw about 1/3 from the top of the hill. Here's the issue though; this ridge runs north and south for a couple miles. The east side drops down to a very lare river and the west side basically just plateaus for miles and miles. Our predominate winds are North, South, and Southwest. Keep I mind that this pinch is on the EAST side of this ridge.

With what winds would you hunt this spot? We do get an occasional easterly wind, but I would have to think that this spot gets used way more often than just when the wind is out of the east.

One idea I have is to speculate where a buck may be bedding nearby (and on what wind) and hunt this pinch on a day that allows me to hunt the pinch when he should be bedded on the nearby point. I also thin this should be a good rut funnel, but again I need to figure out what wind works the best. I'll see if I can get a topo upload later.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Leeward side question

Unread postby dan » Mon May 19, 2014 3:08 am

maybe I am misunderstanding something, but if your hunting on the East side of a north/south ridge you would be looking for a west wind, not an East wind...

Anywho, if you have bedding that is used on a certain wind its likely the buck will come down the adjoining ridge regardless of the wind during a bed to food pattern. But if its rut and your looking for cruisers, leeward hills will have more and better bucks cruising most of the time.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Mon May 19, 2014 5:12 am

Dang- in all my typing I got confused. The pinch I would hunt is on the WEST side of the ridge. Now I definitely have to get a topo posted since I went and confused everyone

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Mon May 19, 2014 5:44 am

Here's the topo. Red do indicates a validated travel lane. I think that a buck may be bedding south of that draw on the point, but on which wind I donut know because I couldn't locate the bed. I did not get a chance to really check out the point to the north either, but it looks like it could potentially hold a buck too. The thing is, we don't get easterly winds all that often.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 19, 2014 7:25 am

Look where your red dot is. LOOK to the west. SEE that point aiming North? I would put him there on a South wind, and strait up from there as the river starts to bend on the point aiming South for a north wind. In the south wind bed, I could see him using that ridge to head North to where the ridge turns giving him a south wind advantage during rut.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Mon May 19, 2014 11:11 am

Sounds good. That long point is actually where I was headed, but stopped to investigate the smaller "knob" when I found the pinch. I think what my plan should be is locate a tree in the armpit of the long ridge for a south wind and hunt it during early season.

I'd probably give the pinch spot a shot on a south wind or a rare easterly wind during the rut. Thanks for the tips. The hill to the north by the river bend gets a decent amount of pressure, but I think I may know how to use that to my advantage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”