Be yourself...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Be yourself...

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:07 am

I will say, most guys probably fall into the trap because what means most to us is respect. Pressure to kill big bucks typically leads back to the fact, a guy wants to be respected. Once a guy has bunch of success, he gains the respects he wants, hence he can relax because he now is respected. He now has a big buck resume so when he speaks, guys know what he is talking about.

Its a process that most of us have gone through or are going through. Most guys who have only shot 1 3.5yr old buck have a really tough time sitting back and thinking "eehh, I don't care if I am a respected or not". The drive to gain the respect typically leads to trying to imitate someone they really look up to...someone that is respected. So you repeat what they say, try and hunt exactly as they do...set their goals as your goals. I had a hunting mentor earlier on in my career...not everything he did or said was worth imitating. Eventually, came to the realization, he was not the "be all, end all" when it came to hunting.

My thought is...just keep hunting, keep learning and have fun. Respect is earned, not given.

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:38 am

mainebowhunter wrote:I will say, most guys probably fall into the trap because what means most to us is respect. Pressure to kill big bucks typically leads back to the fact, a guy wants to be respected. Once a guy has bunch of success, he gains the respects he wants, hence he can relax because he now is respected. He now has a big buck resume so when he speaks, guys know what he is talking about.

Its a process that most of us have gone through or are going through. Most guys who have only shot 1 3.5yr old buck have a really tough time sitting back and thinking "eehh, I don't care if I am a respected or not". The drive to gain the respect typically leads to trying to imitate someone they really look up to...someone that is respected. So you repeat what they say, try and hunt exactly as they do...set their goals as your goals. I had a hunting mentor earlier on in my career...not everything he did or said was worth imitating. Eventually, came to the realization, he was not the "be all, end all" when it came to hunting.

My thought is...just keep hunting, keep learning and have fun. Respect is earned, not given.

You have certainly have my respect, I spend a ton of time reading here, and your posts are top notch. I think you hit on a very big part of the drive to succeed. To be honest the beast is one of the few places were I don't feelike like I need to seek respect, it's just a group of deer nuts talking about deer 24/7. But as a young man many places I seek respect. Actions speak louder than words. And putting down big bucks consistently is hard to refute. I aspire to be like a lot of Beasts, but it's gonna take my own style, and time. I'm "green" yet but I will get there. One behavior I do wanna emulate from many here is to stay humble. Some of you have fantastic walls and no one would know of we didn't BEG you to post a picture. If more people tried to be exactly like you instead of the chest thumpers on TV it wouldn't be so bad.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:04 am

dan wrote:When I look around I notice that the vast majority of young hunters seen to mimic and try to be like the hunters they look up to... They use the same bows, the same products, and hunt the same. They put there stickers all over there trucks, and even dress the same, or copy the way they paint there faces...
But, if we are looking to be the best we can be, and step back for a second and look at all the great hunters we look up to, you will notice that for the most part, none of those guys copied anyone. They were original and found there nitch that fit there style of hunting... They copied no one.

Every person has different talents, skills, and sees things from a different perspective. Some hunters have tons of time to scout and walk land, some can spend more time on a computer, and some have the ability to stay focused on stand all day...
No matter how you hunt, or what you kill, no one is better than anyone else. Its not a contest. Be happy with who you are and what you accomplish regardless of what the next guy does... Hunting is supposed to be fun. Just enjoy yourself and try not to feel pressured to be like anyone else, and you will discover the true meaning of hunting has little to do with killing or being the best.

And to think! I was going to buy a hunting beast car sticker.... :lol: :lol: just kidding
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:16 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:I will say, most guys probably fall into the trap because what means most to us is respect. Pressure to kill big bucks typically leads back to the fact, a guy wants to be respected. Once a guy has bunch of success, he gains the respects he wants, hence he can relax because he now is respected. He now has a big buck resume so when he speaks, guys know what he is talking about.

You have certainly have my respect, I spend a ton of time reading here, and your posts are top notch. I think you hit on a very big part of the drive to succeed. To be honest the beast is one of the few places were I don't feelike like I need to seek respect, [glow=red]it's just a group of deer nuts talking about deer 24/7.[/glow] But as a young man many places I seek respect. Actions speak louder than words. And putting down big bucks consistently is hard to refute. I aspire to be like a lot of Beasts, but it's gonna take my own style, and time. I'm "green" yet but I will get there. One behavior I do wanna emulate from many here is to stay humble. Some of you have fantastic walls and no one would know of we didn't BEG you to post a picture. If more people tried to be exactly like you instead of the chest thumpers on TV it wouldn't be so bad.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words. What I highlighted in red is why I am on the beast. Being part of the beast, easy way to keep you humble. Lot of good hunters on here...just when you think you have arrived, read some of the profiles. Read some of the wired to hunt stuff. Listen to some of the podcasts. Bunch of guys with mad hunting skills. Takes care of the "big fish in small pond" syndrome.

As I have said before, I am blessed more than I deserve.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:43 am

This is certainly not meant towards anyone on here...many or even most of the guys in the area that I live that are known to be big deer killers are not necessarily all that respectable otherwise. They have done so at the expense of their families and even their families finances. Also, they definitely have not killed all their bucks through legitimate methods. I'm not saying this because of envy, I know it to be a fact because they have told me...most of the time the bucks were killed in areas that are illegal to hunt. Yet somehow they have developed the reputation for being awesome hunters.
Good hunters??? Probably....but comparable to a lot you guys in here like Dan, Joe, Stanley, etc. definitely not! My point is there are a lot of other factors that go in to a guy (or gal) being worthy of respect than just heads on a wall. I was at one guy's house just last week...he had 10 bucks between 160 and 200 inches. I asked him how many he got "on the other side of the fence" (the illegal side), he chuckled and said NONE. His biggest challenge is avoiding the game warden.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:10 am

mheichelbech wrote:This is certainly not meant towards anyone on here...many or even most of the guys in the area that I live that are known to be big deer killers are not necessarily all that respectable otherwise. They have done so at the expense of their families and even their families finances. Also, they definitely have not killed all their bucks through legitimate methods. I'm not saying this because of envy, I know it to be a fact because they have told me...most of the time the bucks were killed in areas that are illegal to hunt. Yet somehow they have developed the reputation for being awesome hunters.
Good hunters??? Probably....but comparable to a lot you guys in here like Dan, Joe, Stanley, etc. definitely not! My point is there are a lot of other factors that go in to a guy (or gal) being worthy of respect than just heads on a wall. I was at one guy's house just last week...he had 10 bucks between 160 and 200 inches. I asked him how many he got "on the other side of the fence" (the illegal side), he chuckled and said NONE. His biggest challenge is avoiding the game warden.

Yeah some guys are good bull shiters. There was a guy that lived down the road from our farm that had all kinds of Boone and crocket bucks on the wall. Claimed he got them all with a bow. I got to see his trophy room and talk to him a few times about hunting. He talked a good talk and I respected him and I was a lot younger. Well he got caught spot lighting and shooting a deer. They got the accomplice who was driving. He took off running. The police stuck the dogs on him and got him 2 miles from the scene. It was in the news paper. Later on I got to talking to some of the neighbors about him. One guy lived across the street from him for years and he said he never saw the guy shooting his bow and he claimed to be the best around. Later on I learned he got kicked out of Alaska for hunting crime also. Another thing about this guy was he was a local high school teacher and taught a conservation class.

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:39 am

Hawthorne wrote: You can learn stuff even from a beginner if you try. I always listen to people no matter their skill level.

Hawthorne, you will definately go places in life. This is one of the secrets to success! Be a listener!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:25 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
Hawthorne wrote: You can learn stuff even from a beginner if you try. I always listen to people no matter their skill level.

Hawthorne, you will definately go places in life. This is one of the secrets to success! Be a listener!

Word. As the saying goes you don't learn a thing with your mouth open.

There are a number of people on here that are very wise and may have not killed a bunch of big deer for one reason or another. Stash comes to mind.

Also, I think beginners/young hunters kill proportionally more big bucks, or at least have more close encounters that they maybe can't seal the deal on, than your average mid-level hunter who has been brainwashed the wrong way to do it.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:15 pm

I like to look at my hunting style like a recipe. Taking tidbits of info/tactics from different hunters. Those tidbits of info/tactics are ingredients that I try to add to the recipe if they make sense for me and my area.

Needless to say I have a lot more cooking to do haha

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:18 am

Bump
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:37 am

Ever see paint as the color formula is added to the can before it gets mixed? Even for a white paint, you see blues, reds, browns all going in and when they finish shaking it, all you see is the final color that you wanted.

I think of developing a style like creating a paint color. You might have a base color (your primary influence), then streaks of other colors added by different hunters you’ve learned from over the years. For me, the base color is the Beast: mostly Dan, but all y’all as well. Streaks of color might be from Ken Nordberg, Ted Miller, THP guys, the Drurys, John Dudley and people nobody knows. Everyone has valuable information.

So I’m still trying to figure out exactly what the paint looks like when it dries, but I’ll keep adding streaks of influence as I get them.

Now as I scroll down a little, it’s like Dylan, but a different medium. ;)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:18 am

greenhorndave wrote:Ever see paint as the color formula is added to the can before it gets mixed? Even for a white paint, you see blues, reds, browns all going in and when they finish shaking it, all you see is the final color that you wanted.

I think of developing a style like creating a paint color. You might have a base color (your primary influence), then streaks of other colors added by different hunters you’ve learned from over the years. For me, the base color is the Beast: mostly Dan, but all y’all as well. Streaks of color might be from Ken Nordberg, Ted Miller, THP guys, the Drurys, John Dudley and people nobody knows. Everyone has valuable information.

So I’m still trying to figure out exactly what the paint looks like when it dries, but I’ll keep adding streaks of influence as I get them.

Now as I scroll down a little, it’s like Dylan, but a different medium. ;)

Very cool way of looking at it.

The cool thing is I'm not sure if the paint ever dries as a hunter or at least not for most

The game we chase always put us to the test in different situations and scenarios which keep us on our toes and wanting to implement new tactics or pieces of information we've gathered.

And there are more sources of that information now than ever before.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”