Being watched from a distance.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Hunter

Being watched from a distance.

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 pm

I have noticed that more often than not some deer beds are positioned to be able to watch from a distance. Where they can watch a large area without being noticed. I have been checking an NWR that I will hunt this year an have saw a few beds that can watch the traffic drive the roads from a couple hundred yards. These beds are not readily visible from the road. Or is it possible that they use this beds to watch other deer coming an going from a distance during an before rut? Or more than likely both?

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Crazinamatese

Re: Being watched from a distance.

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed May 14, 2014 1:25 pm

I would say both. Thats from my own observations. I found some good trails that come out of a marsh, cross the road, and into some steep hill country where I hunt. There are beds up on the spurs (points) overlooking the road where hunters like to park and also where these trails skirt around the draws. I seen some good rut action on these type of set ups last season, not even 200 yards off the road. Highly overlooked by other hunters that also hunted that 80 acre property. The best sign I found on that property were in these areas.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:38 pm

I have seen where the area was large enough there were other deer as the first layer of security/alarm to a buck. Swamps and areas where visibility is poor but sounds are inescapable have high ground being more of a choice than vision if that makes sense.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 14, 2014 8:44 pm

I have seen enough beds that are in obvious position to watch human access to say its a pretty common bedding trait.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:40 am

This is funny because a few weeks ago I scouted a bedding area that has not been hunted (didn't realize it was bedding because it's so close to where we alway walk in at), but last fall I changed my entrance to a property I hunted because in squirrel season I saw two bucks in the creek right next to this area in the middle of the day (mid August). The way I started coming in was from above the beds, I kicked a couple 2.5 year olds out of the bed. The previous route was level with the beds and you can't see in the bedding area. I had never seen deer in that spot before last squirrel season. I'm guessing with the usual entrance route they just let us walk right by. I've proven the second route won't get me a kill either. Neither deer I kicked out of the bed was a shooter last fall, but when I scouted it a few weeks ago there were two beds with lots of hair in them and rubs right in the bed, so hopefully those bucks from last year will be bigger this year. Now all I have to do is figure out a 3rd route so I can get a crack at them. The bedding area is on the inside of a sharp bend in the creek with a 1 acre open area across the creek, that I always walk thru to get to better ground. The woods was logged 3 years ago so this is a newer bedding area which makes me feel better that I haven't been walking by these beds for years and years (only 2 years). But it is pretty obvious they are laying there because they can see where danger(humans) are most likely to come from(not many coyotes in the area).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”