You guys hunting wet areas...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buckeye

You guys hunting wet areas...

Unread postby buckeye » Tue May 13, 2014 1:15 pm

For those of you hunting wet areas...

I recently got permission on a property that has a river dissecting it... Areas that are shallow enough to cross with hip or chest waders. It is also full of old oxbow ponds that run all over, I will need to cross some of these.

Do you leave the waders on or take them off once you are done crossing the wet areas that are deeper than knee high boots?

Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: You guys hunting wet areas...

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:23 pm

I take mine off, but im wearing $400 fly fishing waders. If they were rubber hip boots, which I intend to buy all the time and never do, id wear them the entire time.
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Tue May 13, 2014 1:38 pm

I take them off. Sometimes right after crossing or sometimes when I get to stand, depends on how far I have to walk in the waders. Mine are cheap and can sometimes be squeaky.
Rick James

Unread postby Rick James » Tue May 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Scott - we hunt a lot of flooded beaver wetlands back home. A few of the guys up there have started using Neos River Trekkers. They slip on very quickly over your regular boots and you can also roll them up and attach to your pack in a bundle about the size of a 2 liter bottle. If I hadn't moved out here this year I would have gotten a pair, the guys back home have a few years in them now and really like them.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue May 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Its such a hassle to carry waders, and if you hide them you hope they are there when you get back, or you hope it don't flood, or nothing crawls into them... Easier for me to just get wet. I walk right thru rivers like deer do. If its cold out I undress and carry my clothes over my head and my gear. When you put your clothes back on you dry off and heat back up pretty quick as long as you keep the clothes dry.
Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Tue May 13, 2014 8:45 pm

dan wrote:Its such a hassle to carry waders, and if you hide them you hope they are there when you get back, or you hope it don't flood, or nothing crawls into them... Easier for me to just get wet. I walk right thru rivers like deer do. If its cold out I undress and carry my clothes over my head and my gear. When you put your clothes back on you dry off and heat back up pretty quick as long as you keep the clothes dry.

I have done this before, slip down the creek slowly in BDU pants and an old pair of jungle boots. Its was 70 degrees on the opening day of firearm deer season several years back. As far as cold water/cold water, Dan's the man, that's not for me. The changing is a hassle and I guess I'm the odd ball. I have a pair of camo neoprene chest waders that once put on at the SGA on WMA they stay on for the entire hunt, sometimes dark to dark. Not super comfy but do-able.
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Wed May 14, 2014 2:35 am

dan wrote:Its such a hassle to carry waders, and if you hide them you hope they are there when you get back, or you hope it don't flood, or nothing crawls into them... Easier for me to just get wet. I walk right thru rivers like deer do. If its cold out I undress and carry my clothes over my head and my gear. When you put your clothes back on you dry off and heat back up pretty quick as long as you keep the clothes dry.

You also sit in a T shirt in the snow while making a hunting video... :D

What do you do to get the muck off your feet and legs?
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:45 am

I've taking off my clothes a couple times. But twice years ago while trying to go duck hunting, I jumped off the boat to set decoys assuming the water was shallow enough not to go over my chest waders. Boy was I wrong. Water went up to my chin. And one of those 2 times was on opening day . Brain fart

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Wed May 14, 2014 4:04 am

For crossing shallow rivers or creeks it's hard to beat some industrial strength garbage bags. When hunting the swamp here I just were hip boots the entire hunt or scout.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 14, 2014 4:09 am

buckeye wrote:

You also sit in a T shirt in the snow while making a hunting video... :D

What do you do to get the muck off your feet and legs?

Usually I can stick a foot at a time back in and rinse... If not I tend to get complaints when Carol washes my socks. Grasss works too, but never gets it all. Some times you get lucky and its gravel, but usually not in the swamps.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed May 14, 2014 5:21 am

This has been an unanswered question in my mind also. But it shouldn't have been. A few seasons back I went after some deer with borrowed waders. Turns out the drainage ditch was maybe 7-10 inches deep!
But until finding the Beast I thought I was creative. Those waders might come in handy for this season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”