Out of state hunts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Philski

Out of state hunts

Unread postby Philski » Mon May 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Recently leased some land in Ohio. I'm from Michigan. Are there any precautions you take hunting land in other states. I hunted public ground in Missouri for 5-6 years. Met and hunted w/ some great folks. One afternoon it felt like a flat tire driving back to camp. Upon inspection I noticed someone loosened lug nuts and and one had sheared off. Figure one of the locals got tired of seeing my Michigan plate in his parking area. I've also had cases on out of state hunts where local people went out of there way to help me. Should I get some of those magnetic Ohio State Buckeye bumper stickers for my truck? Just curious how you handle the minority of locals that aren't to friendly. Have you ever encountered local resistance? What precautions do you take if any?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

bucksnbows

Re: Out of state hunts

Unread postby bucksnbows » Tue May 13, 2014 3:46 am

I also hunt Ohio and I am also from Michigan. I hunt Public and private. I don't worry too much about my things getting messed with because I stay at a friends place and I am only there a week so my stands aren't left in the woods too long. Plus I'm fairly mobile so the stand may not be in a tree more than a day or two.
Biggest thing is make sure you are as legal as can be while driving. Make sure your vehicle is working right.
No cracked windshields, tail lights out, license plate lights, etc........ And don't speed at all. Even if everyone else is. They will pull you over just because you are from out of state.

Devon441

Unread postby Devon441 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:10 am

Philski, what part of Missouri were you in when that happened? I am also from Michigan and will be hunting north east Missouri this fall.
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Tue May 13, 2014 2:16 pm

I was hunting in Pike county Missouri. Ted Shanks Conservation Area. It's just south of Hannibal right along the Mississippi River. You can camp right there. I'd recommend it to any hunting beast. It's river bottom sloughs thick cover food plots. A boat is helpful but not necessary. good deer and it's bow only. I recommend it. I don't have the time is the only reason I stopped going.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue May 13, 2014 3:30 pm

I have hunted several areas in Ohio. I have never had any type of problems what so ever from locals. Actually the opposite. I have been treated very well. Made some lifelong friends, and have no worry about parking my truck.
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Wed May 14, 2014 12:40 am

About 7 years ago I shot an elk the second day into a 9 day trip. I had to drop off the mountain and get ice so the meat would last while my friends still hunted. It was either a long/slow drive back to civilization or stop at Warren Idaho which is pretty much some shacks, one of them being a bar. I stopped at the bar hoping to get some ice and avoid the long drive. When I walked in a lady came from the back asking what I wanted. I asked if it were possible to purchase some ice. She replied “we don’t serve your kind” and walked into the back room. I stood around for a couple minutes thinking she might have been joking, but every second that ticked by it became more apparent that she wasn’t. When I was getting back to my truck the forest ranger was driving by I flagged him down and he gave me some ice from the ranger station for free.

Here is the Wikipedia of Warren Idaho
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren,_Idaho
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Wed May 14, 2014 1:47 am

"Your kind" she branded you before she new anything about you. Just gotta laugh.

G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed May 14, 2014 11:32 am

I hunt southern Ohio and have been warned a time or 7 about not telling folks that I am from Michigan. When I am there I borrow my buddies truck that lives there so I have Ohio plates and I have an alias and a town I am from "from" while there...might not hurt to keep your Michigan heritage to yourself down is buckeye land.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed May 14, 2014 12:01 pm

wiscbowhntr wrote:
Here is the Wikipedia of Warren Idaho
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren,_Idaho

Sounds like a good place to find morel mushrooms! ;) (read the history)

WiredToHunt

Unread postby WiredToHunt » Thu May 15, 2014 1:14 am

I'm from Michigan as well, and have hunted in Ohio the past four years. When I first started down there, I was worried I might get some folks messing with my truck or something - but so far I've had no issues at all. But maybe that's because I have a Michigan State University alum license plate, and not U of Michigan! lol

Slightly off-topic, but as to other out-of-state advice, not sure if you're interested - but we recently interviewed Bernie Barringer (author of The Freelance Bowhunter) on The Wired To Hunt Podcast and we talked all about planning and executing out-of-state whitetail trips. If you haven't heard that yet - you might find it helpful. Here's a link, if you're interested:
http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/05/01/the-wired-to-hunt-podcast-episode-6-planning-diy-whitetail-trips-wbernie-barringer/
Mark Kenyon
Founder of WiredToHunt.com
Host of The Wired To Hunt Podcast
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu May 15, 2014 1:28 am

Philski thanks for metioning the bow only part at Ted Shanks? Conservation area. It might get a cyberscout just for curiosity sake. Did beast style help you or work when you were there. If you have spare time and want to share send me a PM.
With out of state plates I try to keep my truck from being a bowhunting billboard. It would be annoying to catch any static from other people who don't know I'm from MO originally. But most won't take the time to consider that or any other simple explanation.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Fri May 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Hey "justdirtyfun" I'm a clueless technophobe. Don't know how to PM. Help me out and I'll gladly share whatever I can about Ted Shanks CA.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat May 17, 2014 5:35 am

Thanks for answer back, Philski.
Paul 3149520068 or email...pmeyers@charter.net
That area looks very promising and away from big cities. I had a few years hunting near Bowling Green on private and seen some big uns checked in/dropped off at meat processer. Woods smoked meats is awesome! !! Even been served in White house. I drool when I walk inside the store.

Philski

Unread postby Philski » Sat May 17, 2014 1:20 pm

I'm going to hang stands sun.-mon. in ohio. Be back Tuesday. I'll give you a shout next week.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 am

Just checking back for info on Shanks. Philski did you get things done in Ohio?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”