Nice interview with Lee and Tiffany

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Nice interview with Lee and Tiffany

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri May 09, 2014 8:08 am

Nice interview on "Wired to Hunt" podcast...... interesting info on what they have and how they go about hunting their land....

http://wiredtohunt.com/2014/05/08/the-w ... e-tiffany/

dreaming bucks

Re: Nice interview with Lee and Tiffany

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri May 09, 2014 8:24 am

Lee has an interesting take on hunting pressure on his land... the way he says it, it makes sense, but I'm not sure if I'm buying into it completely.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 09, 2014 11:31 am

Whats interesting in the interview, is Mark talks about Lee's success in Minnesota. From conversations with Lee and from his website that used to state in the "about us" section they went 7 seasons without killing a buck in Minnesota then they moved to Iowa and never looked back... Looks like they removed that from the site now... I know they must get sick of hearing people claim that its just the premium Iowa land that effects there success. But really, I am sure that is a very big part of there success...

For example, I hunted a week on Andreas managed farm "that is not nearly as good as Lee's farms" I can't remember a hunt during that week that I could not of shot at least one pope and young buck... On the public back home hunting 5 times a week I got 2 shot opportunities the whole season on P&Y class bucks, and I shot them both.

Andrae says all the time a blind man could shoot a poper on his farm... And its true. It does take skill to shoot booners year after year anywhere, but comparing that hunting to public land and the back forty is not reality and I can say that cause I have hunted both scenarios.

I like Lee and Tiff and think they are great and passionate hunters, and do believe they have some skill in what they do... Just saying its rerally stretching things to say thats no different than what the average guy has to deal with.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:56 am

Lee is definitely one of the best around when it comes to managing ground, and he is an exceptional hunter, but I don't think his tactics relate to the average joe. The stuff he said about pressure made sense when you have a huge amount of ground, but I would never consider it in any other scenario. it is definitely something I hope isn't misinterpreted by some of the listeners that aren't able to hunt in such a unique situation as theirs.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 09, 2014 12:06 pm

I kind of listened to some of it, but lost interest pretty fast when they said they had 500 acres of food plots. :o I like both of them and say kudos to them for doing what they are doing. There are very few hunters that I personally know that have 500 acres period. The biggest property I hunt is 450 acres. I am a personal guest on that property There are 7 other hunters.

The older I get, and the longer I am on the Beast site, the more I realize, I haven't really accomplished much compared to others. I may have put a few on the wall, but in reality "big deal". I doubt those two have come to that realization yet. I think those two on 80 acres with 4 other hunters would put Lee back behind a drafting board and Tiffany back into the friendly skies. I am pretty sure they would not be hunting like they are now.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri May 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Interesting podcast.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri May 09, 2014 12:53 pm

dan wrote:Whats interesting in the interview, is Mark talks about Lee's success in Minnesota. From conversations with Lee and from his website that used to state in the "about us" section they went 7 seasons without killing a buck in Minnesota then they moved to Iowa and never looked back... Looks like they removed that from the site now... I know they must get sick of hearing people claim that its just the premium Iowa land that effects there success. But really, I am sure that is a very big part of there success...

For example, I hunted a week on Andreas managed farm "that is not nearly as good as Lee's farms" I can't remember a hunt during that week that I could not of shot at least one pope and young buck... On the public back home hunting 5 times a week I got 2 shot opportunities the whole season on P&Y class bucks, and I shot them both.

Andrae says all the time a blind man could shoot a poper on his farm... And its true. It does take skill to shoot booners year after year anywhere, but comparing that hunting to public land and the back forty is not reality and I can say that cause I have hunted both scenarios.

I like Lee and Tiff and think they are great and passionate hunters, and do believe they have some skill in what they do... Just saying its rerally stretching things to say thats no different than what the average guy has to deal with.

Pick up a copy of their book at the book store (Barnes n Noble) and read it at the store.... I did. Lee killed plenty of deer before moving to Iowa... nothing spectacular until he went to Iowa. Then like I mentioned before he killed 2 or 3 bucks in 3 trips. All solid mature looking high scoring deer. Then they risked it all and quit their jobs and lives in MN and headed to SE Iowa. Good read....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Fri May 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Nice to see people achieve a measure of success and still be good solid folks. There down to earth and friendly. I hunted with an outfitter(can I say that and not get roasted on this site) ted marum in buffalo county and Lee and Tiffany who were not married yet asked if they could film my hunt. Long story short spent time in stand w/ Lee. Just an average guy w/ a burning desire for all things whitetail. They were great to hang with and I can still call em today and they are no different 10 years later. There success comes from Lee's over the top obsession with whitetails. I don't consider him any kind of whitetail guru. Plenty of guys on the hunting beast have what he's got minus the land. Good people IMO.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri May 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Philski wrote:Nice to see people achieve a measure of success and still be good solid folks. There down to earth and friendly. I hunted with an outfitter(can I say that and not get roasted on this site) ted marum in buffalo county and Lee and Tiffany who were not married yet asked if they could film my hunt. Long story short spent time in stand w/ Lee. Just an average guy w/ a burning desire for all things whitetail. They were great to hang with and I can still call em today and they are no different 10 years later. There success comes from Lee's over the top obsession with whitetails. I don't consider him any kind of whitetail guru. Plenty of guys on the hunting beast have what he's got minus the land. Good people IMO.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Nice! Great story!

I have no issues with outfitters. I have a soft spot for well managed land.

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri May 09, 2014 2:08 pm

Great to hear Philski! They seem like real nice, down to earth people. I also have to say when I watch their show, there house is what I dream my hunting camp to look like!

I do enjoy watching their hunting show. I don't watch it to learn anything or buy anything but if midwest deer hunting is on TV and there isn't a Kansas Basketball game on or football, I'll watch it. With them, they seem to not just show every minute in the deer stand but also having fun back at the house. It's good to see shows that show that don't focus ONLY on hunting.

Is it OK for me to ask how much land Andrae has? Just out of curiously.
lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Fri May 09, 2014 2:13 pm

I came to this thread with great hesitation bc I dislike the "Lee and Tiffany" image. It is definitely refreshing to hear dan quote a great hunter who has managed land be honest about how easy a hunter could kill a big deer. It also refreshing to hear dan be blatantly honest about his and their public land success. I agree they may manage land well and also are great at marketing but IMHO they are merely a land manager and a shooter.

dan wrote:Whats interesting in the interview, is Mark talks about Lee's success in Minnesota. From conversations with Lee and from his website that used to state in the "about us" section they went 7 seasons without killing a buck in Minnesota then they moved to Iowa and never looked back... Looks like they removed that from the site now... I know they must get sick of hearing people claim that its just the premium Iowa land that effects there success. But really, I am sure that is a very big part of there success...

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri May 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Was that 2013?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri May 09, 2014 2:35 pm

People are as successful as others perceive them to be. Unless they do not care what others think.

L&T have been successful at marketing themselves. Kudos to them.

Please, no bashing on this site, thanks.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri May 09, 2014 3:13 pm

lostinstateforest"]I came to this thread with great hesitation bc I dislike the "Lee and Tiffany" image. It is definitely refreshing to hear dan quote a great hunter who has managed land be honest about how easy a hunter could kill a big deer. It also refreshing to hear dan be blatantly honest about his and their public land success. I agree they may manage land well and also are great at marketing but IMHO they are merely a land manager and a shooter.

[quote="dan wrote:
Whats interesting in the interview, is Mark talks about Lee's success in Minnesota. From conversations with Lee and from his website that used to state in the "about us" section they went 7 seasons without killing a buck in Minnesota then they moved to Iowa and never looked back... Looks like they removed that from the site now... I know they must get sick of hearing people claim that its just the premium Iowa land that effects there success. But really, I am sure that is a very big part of there success...

[ Post made via Android ] Image[/quote]

I think they are great people and great for the industry. I was at the Iowa deer classic in 2007. They had a booth beside Stan Potts. I don't know who they were representing? I did not stop at the booth. There was a big crowd around them though. Guys were lining up to get their picture taken with her, er I mean them. ;) I'm just not a celebrity groupie. I would rather have my picture taken with Bigdaddy-yoyo or Edcyclopedia.

They are ok hunters I'm sure. It would be hard to gauge their hunting skills, hunting big chunks of manicured ground. I have not read their books or ever watched their TV show. I did hear the fishing episode got rave reviews. ;) I guess they are prime examples of killing good bucks on a level most of us cannot even come to understand. They are also good examples of the many different hunting methods there are of collecting a wall full of good bucks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Bigb wrote:Great to hear Philski! They seem like real nice, down to earth people. I also have to say when I watch their show, there house is what I dream my hunting camp to look like!

I do enjoy watching their hunting show. I don't watch it to learn anything or buy anything but if midwest deer hunting is on TV and there isn't a Kansas Basketball game on or football, I'll watch it. With them, they seem to not just show every minute in the deer stand but also having fun back at the house. It's good to see shows that show that don't focus ONLY on hunting.

Is it OK for me to ask how much land Andrae has? Just out of curiously.

He owns a square mile ( 800 some acres ) in Iowa, he also owns a couple very small properties in Wisconsin and Illinois but pretty much has stopped hunting those places.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”