"Mentors" and "Heroes"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

"Mentors" and "Heroes"

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 05, 2014 3:00 am

I think most of us have had a mentor or hero at some point or another. By a mentor, I am referring to someone you know personally that has helped guide you, successfully or not, in your quest for bucks or hunting in general. By heroes, I mean someone you may not know well personally, but that you have learned from or admired.

Care to share?

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Re: "Mentors" and "Heroes"

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 05, 2014 3:21 am

A lot of successful hunters here on the Beast may not like the word "Hero." So, feel free to substitute someone you "respect" or someone that you would like to learn more from regardin their methods, etc.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon May 05, 2014 3:33 am

The guys who visit here and post are the real role models, average DIY guys who fail or succeed. That's what it's all about. You can't learn from 98 percent of the so called experts. Yeah at one point in there career they were in our shoes, but that's long gone for most and I'd don't blame them for not selling all there stuff to relate to me or you.

The only expert is that deer living at that spot, all else is out the window.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon May 05, 2014 5:15 am

I was going to say the same thing Keb - deer or whatever else I am chasing has taught me way more than any hunting mentor has and that will no doubt continue! Honestly I have an aversion to putting people on pedestals because I see what that can do to the person up there, we all have our good sides...and bad. I have learned a little bit here and there from a lot of people.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon May 05, 2014 5:41 am

Interesting topic. I don't idolize anyone. I have a certain respect for those that have earned it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon May 05, 2014 10:48 am

I think the real world stories and advice here, spark and get folks back out there after they have been beat down.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon May 05, 2014 12:10 pm

keb wrote:I think the real world stories and advice here, spark and get folks back out there after they have been beat down.

I agree with this. Real world advice for real world hunters.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 05, 2014 12:31 pm

My biggest mentors were target deer, some I killed, some I didn't... But they each taught me a lot back in the old days when I hounded them like my life depended on it...

As far as people, I think a lot of great people have touched my life in ways to make me a better hunter, probably a lot more than I could mention, but I will note a few.

My Father who was not a great hunter in any regard, but he did instal a sense of respect for animals lives, and for nature in general. Without him, I may have been a little more disrespectful and not chosen a difficult path over the quick and easy way.

A man named Todd who although much older than me, was a local guy who killed a lot of good bucks with a bow. He took me on some hunts and I competed with him to try and do better... When you hunt the same woods with someone and he is shooting big bucks, you know you can too... In the end I was outdoing him on a regular basis. Todd and his brother Tim are the ones whom introduced me to Andrae... Sadly, there was a freak carbon monoxide accident that killed Todds dad, and left him not the same man he used to be... I stayed in touch for a few years after the accident, but we eventually drifted seperate ways...

Andrae is really the only guy I ever felt that I could really talk to about big bucks openly on the same level. When we met we were both just starting to knock down some real nice bucks for those times and were both getting noticed... We would call each other every night and discuss what happened or what we each should do... We could trust each other with info about huge bucks... He helped me, and I helped him. I am sure we had an impact on each others outcome... I am sure he would of never found his racine county booner or Ashley (his daughter) 1st buck ( a 150 inch 8 point ) and vice versa, I would not have shot one of my bucks that grosses well over 170 without him calling me to tell me that he saw it while glassing and where it was located.
Muy Grande
Location: Alabama; chase whitetails in Tennessee and Kentucky

Unread postby Muy Grande » Mon May 05, 2014 12:39 pm

keb wrote:I think the real world stories and advice here, spark and get folks back out there after they have been beat down.

This has definitely been the case for me since I have joined here and started to take in all that is discussed.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon May 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Jesus Christ.

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. Genesis 27:3

And God was with the boy, and he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an expert with the bow. Genesis 21:20
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Jesus Christ.

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me. Genesis 27:3

And God was with the boy, and he grew up. He lived in the wilderness and became an expert with the bow. Genesis 21:20

Craz, I like that! A bold statement that few make anymore.

As for human-being types though---sadly, I had one for a very short time. My grandfather was hit in WWII. The wound affected his whole life. I was only able to hunt with him a couple years. Since then hunting has been a lonely endeavor. If you look back at a few of my posts you will see how I spoke of this previously. Hunting has been a lonely venture for me. I never wanted it to be that way, but it has been. I have come to except it more, but it still creeps in every fall. I don't want to belabor it, but I am very jealous of you guys who have had a mentor or someone you can call friend that you hunt with or taught you to hunt.

chris
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Mon May 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Without my dad I doubt I would have been a hunter, I always liked the outdoors, but probably wouldn't have picked up a bow. He was a traditional hunter when he was younger and has several good bucks with both his bow and gun. He doesn't hunt much anymore but still is interested in how I am doing and is always there to help. He taught me a lot and I understood deer can smell you, wind direction, funnels, etc. from day one...certainly cut my learning curve.

As for famous hunters I always respected Myles Keller. I have a copy, passed down from my dad, of the old "Keller's Kode" pamphlet; which was mostly meant to push his products. However in that little pamphlet he explains how to play the wind, explains he hunts a "bucks bedroom" during the pre-rut, how to set up on a funnel...all applicable to hunting anytime and anywhere for whitetails. The fact he was patterning big bucks and killing them, often individual big bucks in the bedding/feeding pattern long before it was common knowledge is what impresses me. And he did it with a black window and before quality treestands etc.
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon May 05, 2014 1:57 pm

My Dad, today is his birthday, I think of him every time I enter the woods... RIP

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon May 05, 2014 2:18 pm

Some interesting posts, good stuff... especially regarding mentors. I certainly appreciate the mentoring role of introducing new hunters to the sport- without those individuals it may never have happened.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 05, 2014 2:37 pm

My mentor was my Dad who taught me everything about the outdoors and my hero is without a doubt Fred Bear.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”