"Mentors" and "Heroes"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Re: "Mentors" and "Heroes"

Unread postby oldrank » Tue May 06, 2014 4:44 am

My Dad, and a couple of my uncles...

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue May 06, 2014 11:35 am

Tough one to answer.

My dad bought me a shotgun when I was 12 (I think) and took me rabbit hunting (once) along the railroad tracks when we lived on the south side of Chicago. Got to shoot at one but missed. My dad didn't hunt at the time. He did when he was young but not when we lived in Illinois.

My Uncle (in KY) took me bird hunting a few times when we were down here on vacation along about the same time. But neither of them really mentored me on hunting.

My father in law got me started deer hunting right after I got married. We didn't have much of a deer herd at the time and he knew little about deer hunting but it was a start anyway. Hunting back then was more that just entertainment. We lived on the meat from rabbits, squirrels, and deer.

As far as a mentor, I would have to say it was the deer themselves that taught me the most.
Roger Raglin was a hero I followed and learned a bit from him. At the end of every video he used to say "And you can do it too". That gave me a bit of confidence along the way. I've met him a few times and he had the patience to answer any questions I had.
Dr. James Kroll provided me with a wealth of information in the early articles he wrote in North American Whitetail when it first came out. I bought his book "Producing and Harvesting Whitetailed Deer" which gave me a bunch of info to look at in the whitetail's world. While some of it I questioned, it made me look hard for the answers.

Lookin back, there wasn't a lot of influence on me from anything outside of the woods other than those listed. That is until I joined this forum. I've killed my best bucks since I've been a member here and I'm not sure that would have happened if I hadn't read the things I have on this forum. Thanks to Dan and others here that continue to answer the same questions time and time again. There's a lot of mis-information out there for someone that doesn't have a mentor. Hopefully they'll make their way here, I was lucky enough to find it.

Man, that sounded like a major suck-up, didn't it? True tho......
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed May 07, 2014 11:24 am

dan wrote:
My Father who was not a great hunter in any regard, but he did instal a sense of respect for animals lives, and for nature in general. Without him, I may have been a little more disrespectful and not chosen a difficult path over the quick and easy way.

Thats a good one Dan...both my parents taught me to respect and love the land...thats about as big of a gift as a person can get.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”