Hill Country bedding entry route??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fauxfly

Hill Country bedding entry route??

Unread postby fauxfly » Sun May 04, 2014 3:59 pm

So I read in some of these posts and have heard Dan explain how deer will enter the beds in the AM based on wind direction. I understand the scent stream/scent trail concept...my question here is could I assume that more often than not a mature buck will enter his bedding in the early AM by walking right into the wind to his bed??

Could I also then assume that based on the same wind direction a mature buck will leave his bed near dusk and follow a similiar loop/route each evening/night?? Ending near his bedding area in the AM - entering it per wind direction???

Wouldn't this make him a bit vulnerable to prey?? I get he wants to minimize his scent stream/trail but wouldn't he also realize that he is totally "blind" scent detection wise to the perpendicular areas on each side of bedding - ??

Thoughts guys??

BigHunt

Re: Hill Country bedding entry route??

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun May 04, 2014 10:15 pm

from what ive seen/witnessed in hill country is that .....no matter what the wind is doing, the buck will get up and exit his bedding areas anyway he wants, some drop down , some walk up and go up top , some will walk the side hill then go up or down ...every deer is different some play by the rules and some don't.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill Country bedding entry route??

Unread postby dan » Mon May 05, 2014 2:14 am

Mature bucks using hill type beds tend to come in along the bottom 3rd of a ridge and then J-hook up to the top with wind in face. A lot of the big bucks Andrae has killed in the AM have done just that and he had set up where they hook up. Its hard to see the trail or find the exact hooking area cause it changes with wind direction and speed in my opinion.

In the evening, the buck gets up and leaves the bed going in the direction of food, water, does, or whatever. A lot of the time they leave taking the exact same path, other times the bed will have several paths that lead from the beds in different directions. In a well used bedding area these paths are a lot easier to see than the entry path because the deer move very slow on the exit path browsing and leaving sign as they wait for darkness.

In some cases it can be easier to find these trails than the actual beds because the beds shift positions a lot but the trails are consistent.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”