Best whitetail hunter-why?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Philski

Best whitetail hunter-why?

Unread postby Philski » Sun May 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Got to thinking about the best whitetail hunters I've met after reading about Marc Anthony's fall from that category. Curious who you've met and consider the best? Andrae D. is well thought of here. But why? Is it the number of trophies? His smarts? Determination? I met a quiet auto /mechanic years ago. He was friendly/humble. The next day I was told he had 40+ P&Y whitetails. As we talked I realized he was the real deal. He was honest and offered no magic formulas. He hunted sunup to sundown weeks in a row if need be. He scouted/new the deer he hunted. I sensed a burning desire to kill big deer cause he simply loved it. I called him last month to get advise on hunting hill country. He was the same gentleman I'd met years ago. We hadn't talked in 10 yrs.and he gladly spent an hour talkin deer. His name is Mike Weaver and now has 60 P&Y white tails. I consider him the best because he kills many of his deer in an area of Virginia not known for big deer. Though he does travel to the Midwest to hunt. His quiet determination sets him apart. Who is the best you've met? I'd like to hear what sets Andrae D. apart. Didn't set out to write this book.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Re: Best whitetail hunter-why?

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Sun May 04, 2014 2:50 pm

The best deer hunter I personally know is Jeff Sturgis. He's a good friend of mine. He is somewhere in the thirties for P&Y caliber deer killed with a few gross booners mixed in. He is in his early fourties. A lot of those bucks were killed on Michigan public ground, and some of course came from the Midwest. He took a decent chunk of ground in SW Wisconsin and turned it into a mature deer mecca. Check out his site.......http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/ He literally goes all over the US and sets up clients properties for proper access, foot plot locations, bedding areas, ect ect. Humble fellow too.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon May 05, 2014 1:33 am

Best urban hunter = My Buddy Gary. (up to 171" Gross)
Best Northwoods tracker = My ex-buddy Andy. (12 - 200+lb state patches)

Best celebrity I met (but never hunted with) = Lanny Benoit (his average kill weight was/is am astonishing 243 lbs...)!
Behind Lanny and bumping into him while hunting in the woods is brother Lane and also Hal Blood.

I don't count the people on the internet (no disrespect) it's just typing verses cold hard discussions and viewing the deer heads!!!
MagicMan has a pretty good resume too and did meet him and see his collection - very impressive (hard work for sure)!
I would probable select Stanley and Spysar as internet hero's that I DID meet.
Someday it will be Dan too ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon May 05, 2014 3:41 am

I'm the best. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Mon May 05, 2014 3:46 am

Multiple P&Y bucks on state land in Michigan is difficult. That's impressive. If you can kill em there you can kill em anywhere.

Philski

Unread postby Philski » Mon May 05, 2014 3:48 am

Why are you the best Spysar? What are the qualities that allow you to harvest big white tails?

Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Mon May 05, 2014 4:16 am

There are so many variables in deer hunting I don't see how anybody can be the best. Deer density, pressure, tactics, weather, etc., all make a huge difference. My personal plan is to just be very versatile and try to handle everything thrown at me. Constantly learning and knowing how little you can actually really ever know is also important to being good in my book.

That being said, there are some really successful hunters who are really good at what they do. They are among the best at their hunting style.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon May 05, 2014 5:04 am

Terry wrote:There are so many variables in deer hunting I don't see how anybody can be the best. Deer density, pressure, tactics, weather, etc., all make a huge difference. My personal plan is to just be very versatile and try to handle everything thrown at me. Constantly learning and knowing how little you can actually really ever know is also important to being good in my book.

That being said, there are some really successful hunters who are really good at what they do. They are among the best at their hunting style.

Well put. This isn't baseball or football or anything like that.

I do agree with the idea that there is a class of hunter above what most of us will ever reach in terms of shear effectiveness at getting it done no matter what situation they are in but I don't think you can identify that type of person by having X number of trophies on the wall. You can't compare somebody who shoots 30 P&Y whitetails off their own exclusive access land in their hunting career to someone who shoots 30 off public.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon May 05, 2014 5:21 am

Philski wrote:Why are you the best Spysar? What are the qualities that allow you to harvest big white tails?

I'm just messing around. :dance:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon May 05, 2014 5:25 am

I say Spysar
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon May 05, 2014 5:34 am

There is no real way to select someone as the best whitetail hunter. The playing fields are not the same. Is a guy that is lazy and just hunts enough to kill a good buck less of a hunter than a guy that dedicates the whole season, scouts a lot with the same results? :think: Hunting isn't Mano-a-mano, so to me it is impossible to rate hunters skill levels.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 05, 2014 5:54 am

I always considered Roger Raglin to be one of the top whitetail deer hunters in America. Sure he hunts a ton with rifle but he gets it done all over the country. You can't argue with his wall and I love his enthusiasm for the hunt! His old VHS hunting tapes are what really got me hooked on hunting back in the early 90's. 8-)

First part of this video will show you what I mean. The last part is basically a Hooyman saw commercial. Thought Stanley would appreciate the clear shooting lane part! ;)

http://www.outdoorsforher.com/videos/ro ... nter_talks
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Mon May 05, 2014 10:22 am

Dewey wrote:I always considered Roger Raglin to be one of the top whitetail deer hunters in America. Sure he hunts a ton with rifle but he gets it done all over the country. You can't argue with his wall and I love his enthusiasm for the hunt! His old VHS hunting tapes are what really got me hooked on hunting back in the early 90's. 8-)

First part of this video will show you what I mean. The last part is basically a Hooyman saw commercial. Thought Stanley would appreciate the clear shooting lane part! ;)

Roger is real good inside a tall fence.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 am

vanceg wrote:
Dewey wrote:I always considered Roger Raglin to be one of the top whitetail deer hunters in America. Sure he hunts a ton with rifle but he gets it done all over the country. You can't argue with his wall and I love his enthusiasm for the hunt! His old VHS hunting tapes are what really got me hooked on hunting back in the early 90's. 8-)

Roger is real good inside a tall fence.

Come on now that's not completely true. Now that he is much older that may be true but in his earlier years you gotta give the guy some credit. He knocked down plenty of big bucks the hard way.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon May 05, 2014 11:51 am

I have always liked Roger Raglin too. He comes across down to earth too me. About anybody that is worth their weight is going to be the best whitetail hunter for a day in somebody eyes.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”