Best whitetail hunter-why?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Best whitetail hunter-why?

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:23 am

WKPTodd wrote:I moved to chase mature animals. If I was all-about antlers, I'd been hunting with outfitters in 5 states a year.

That's about not having the $$$$$ to do so.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 12, 2014 9:18 am

goldtip5575 wrote:
WKPTodd wrote:I moved to chase mature animals. If I was all-about antlers, I'd been hunting with outfitters in 5 states a year.

That's about not having the $$$$$ to do so.

I disagree with that... I personally get multiple offers to hunt free with outfitters every year. I am sure Todd gets the same. It would just cost him gas money and the tag.
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Wed May 14, 2014 5:45 am

I know many people have a hard time believing this, but I could give a crap less about how many bucks I kill. I would get ZERO satisfaction going some place and killing a buck I don't personally know, which is exactly why I don't travel to hunt. I personally enjoy growing them, passing them, filming them, finding their sheds; and hopefully eventually killing them.

I've turned down opportunities to hunt some INCREDIBLE farms here in Iowa with different guys - just because it wasn't "my work" that brought the opportunity. I am weird about that, I've never killed a buck from a stand I didn't set, scout, and trim. That's something I take pride in, and have based my hunting life on.

I've pasted far bigger immature deer than any mature animal I've ever killed; on video. 2 of which were booners. Both were 4 years old, so they got the pass. Not sure how much more I can say/do than that to prove that I'm not an antler greedy guy.

IMO, when it's all about the antlers, it eventually takes the fun away from hunting. I've seen it ruin so many guys/ and make some do things that I still can't believe they did. I don't want to be that guy - so I don't put my entire life into killing "racks". Mature deer are my goal. The big racks come when you can control more ground (in a nut-shell).

In the meantime, I hunt the oldest deer around my properties, and a 6-1/2 or 7-1/2 year old whitetail is NOT just a "book" deer running around. It's a different animal here just like it is anywhere. Killing a mature buck with 15 bowhunters within 1 mile of my farm.... Well, I'll take the opportunity on any mature deer when I get them because they aren't easy to kill; especially on camera.
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:
365all_out wrote:Dan - AKA "the big buck serial killer"

I'll x2 that

I read through the whole thing and didn't see dan until the very end. Good read by the way, I enjoyed this topic.

Why?
He has taken the hard road - no short cuts. In my opinion, effort and determination are a big part of his success, but natural born skill is probably the reason.

Another reason he gets my vote is for how much he gives back. While that may not contribute to his accomplishments, it means a lot to me and many others what he has shared here.

Since this post is "best" whitetail hunter and why, I like this reasoning better than any I've read. The fact that Dan spends a tremendous amount of his time helping others is what I find most impressive. I don't think there is anything "better" than helping others succeed. Also, I've seen some of his hunting spots in person and what he has killed from the areas he hunts is remarkable. I've hunted Iowa enough to know it's not the same to shoot a mature buck there as it is to shoot one living in a hard hunted area in WI.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu May 15, 2014 12:52 am

Last edited by Spysar on Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu May 15, 2014 1:32 am

Two guys come to mind when I think best whitetail hunter - Dan & Warren Womack. I admire both these guys for what they can do with a pen or keyboard in their hands just as much as what they do with a weapon in them. Money, land, management, time, can all help a guy accumulate an impressive record or wall, but these two guys seem to take whatever is dealt to them & produce. Then they turn around & relay those successful tactics to the next guy so he to can be successful. I often wonder just how many deer have been killed by using the advice of these men. Now picture that WALL!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”