Public Land Permission

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

albrechtt

Public Land Permission

Unread postby albrechtt » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:54 am

I'm just curious...Has anyone found a successful way of getting permission to bowhunt private land? I went to school in East Central Wisconsin and was extremely lucky to have access to private land in Green Lake County. I know the people in that area will slam the door in your face if you ask permission to bowhunt their land as my uncle was one of them ha. Obviously throwing money at them sweetens the pot a bit but want to hear what other people have tried in the past and whether they succeeded or not.

Beast-Mode

Re: Public Land Permission

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 am

albrechtt

Unread postby albrechtt » Thu May 01, 2014 12:46 am

Thank you. That sums it up great.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri May 02, 2014 6:50 am

This is what worked for me recently, actually more to get access to a piece of landlocked public. First off, I am constantly asking everyone I know about if they know anyone with land. A guy I work with, his wife's family had 40 acres in an area. He had never been fishing and it has a lake on it. I told him I would be glad to show him fishing but would he mind me checking it out to possibly hunt there...of course no problem! Well, it wasn't very good for deer hunting, mature bucks anyways but I noticed some nice public nearby. I got to know the neighbor to his wife's property, old codger type guy, Vietnam vet...we had several chats...he is 79 and loves to show me all his stuff, 2 corvettes, tractors, etc. This guy has a neighbor whose property adjoins the landlocked public. The old man introduced me to him one day when we were shooting the breeze and next thing you know he gave me permission to travel through his property to the landlocked private. Btw, the guy's property surrounding the private is all agriculture!

In my view, the most effective way is network just like you were networking for a job. Find people you know how live in the country and ask them...or ask if they know anyone. I literally went onto the local website showing platmaps and looked for land owned by people I might know or by people who might know people I know. It works. Am going to a party tonight and gonna be introduced to a guy who owns several hundred acres that will hopefully give me permission to hunt his ground...this is by the same co-worker.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri May 02, 2014 12:19 pm

My advice would be as with most interactions in life it helps to think about what its like in their shoes and what you would want/not want to hear.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”