Hunting Flat Farm Country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

albrechtt

Hunting Flat Farm Country

Unread postby albrechtt » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:47 am

I live in farm country USA in SW MN. The DNR focuses their energy on restoring the wetlands for waterfowl. That means I have an abundant supply of marshes and buckbrush. However, I have not found an effect way to hunt big bucks in these areas. The problem is that we have limited trees and woods around and I just have had no luck hunting the ground. Anybody else have any experience hunting these conditions? What have you found to be successful?

nater

Re: Hunting Flat Farm Country

Unread postby nater » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 am

I don't know where you are in SW MN, but there are few public parcels south of the MN river and west of Mankato that I have not walked. While there are many WMAs and WPAs that are treeless prairie/wetland complexes, there are just as many that have some amount of relief and tree cover, and a few dozen that have at least 10-15 acres of woods. All is not lost if you're looking for a tree to bowhunt from and you're willing to drive at least an hour. Feel free to PM me if you want.

That being said, I've jumped plenty of deer from straight cattail marshes too. I'm picturing a few places in particular where there are berms or ditches that are heavily used for travel where you could set yourself up to have a height or wind advantage over the trail. It wouldn't be easy, but it could be done. There are also many, many properties with scrub trees that you could never get a climber in but you could get 5-6 feet off the ground with sticks and a hang-on. It's a rare property that doesn't have at least a couple of those somewhere, and a lot of those trees happen to hold buck beds underneath.
whitetailassasin

Re: Hunting Flat Farm Country

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:22 am

This site has a lot of marsh hunters on it. Some make there bread hunting these places. Go through the threads, there are multiple styles and ways to hunt this terrain. Ground, stools, low stands, etc. the knowledge is here for you. It will open your eyes and is not what most of us learned when we first started off but it's deadly my friend.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”