Scent Control/Playing the Wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Scent Control/Playing the Wind

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:45 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:I'm new to the Beast but love reading all the posts and have learned a lot from watching Dan's videos but after doing some more research I wanted to throw out a few questions to see what folks on here believe.
1. While on stand will your scent tend to travel further if you are sitting on the ground or higher up in a tree (say 20-30 feet)? I realize this will depend on wind speed and terrain but I was curious if higher elevations will allow your scent to be carried further downwind before reaching the ground and therefore have a larger range of scent dispersion or if it will be similar.

2. I recently read a book by William Vale who hunts in Michigan. He believes big bucks will always attempt to use their nose (even at night) in deciding where they will bed. So for example with a steady west wind he believes bucks will end up bedding on the west side of a food source which I feel contradicts what Dan says in his Hill Country video where deer will bed on points on the downwind side of the field or in this case on the east/southeast side. Both Dan and William have been successful in taking nice bucks so what are your experiences in these situations. Does this depend on terrain (hill country vs farmland) or amount of pressure or is it safe to say it varies by geographic location or worse yet is unpredictable at best?

3. Finally I often hear hunters wanting the wind in "their" favor and not the bucks which makes sense but I've heard many successful hunters say that a buck will usually move with the wind either in their face or slightly quartering into their face so would you agree that if you know where a buck is bedded you want the wind blowing slightly at him in order for him to predictably move in your direction? If this is correct how do those who've been successful on here go about putting the wind in your favor and avoid being smelled all while giving the buck the illusion that he has the wind in his favor? Mr. Vale often believes that a wind blowing mainly at the deer with a high tree stand placement (30 ft or higher) helps avoid being scented but I don't know if I believe a higher stand will avoid being detected plus the poorer shot angles it provides.

I know this is a lot of info/questions and it's probably enough for multiple threads but I know some of you on here will have answers to these so your help is appreciated in advance.

1. Yes, being higher in the tree will have your scent travel further down wind then if you were set up a shorter height in that same tree. I think hunting the wind is much trickier the lower you are in elevation whether you're hunting Hillcountry or flat farmland, but sometimes being low can still be the best option or the only option. I have a set up in which I'm 27 feet up blowing right at the trail I'm hunting, but just on the opposite side of the trail is a pond that the deer cannot cross. My sent simply blows right over the top of them into the pond.

2. I also read Bill Vale's book and can't quite remember all the details, but I can tell you the pre dawn wind can definitely impact where the deer are going to bed for the day. I almost always check what the predawn wind was when determining where and what beds I'm going to hunt I given day. Often if the predawn wind was a certain direction and then there's [glow=red]a wind switch by the evening of that day it often gives you a big advantage.[/glow]Sometimes though if the cover and terrain allow it the buck will switch bedding.
What Bill may have been talking about was bedding in farmland where the buck beds on the field edge just like Dan explained. This is pretty common in my hunting area and Bill's hunting area. If I see a buck walking, cut a fresh track, or get a picture of him moving into the wind towards a wood lot or bedding area In the morning through a food source that tells me that he will be bedding on the edge watching the food source most likely. This behavior in farm country is one of the biggest reasons why guys struggle to kill mature deer in my opinion out side of the rut, because the buck is simply watching the down wind food source just inside the cover and seeing the hunters access through the fields. In open farm country the buck uses his vision a lot. I made this mistake for years and years.
(Sorry, that's a little off topic.)
3. I hunt the just off wind quite a bit and the majority of my (non rut ) kills have been with it. My area is ultra pressured... And I've just had more consistent bow range encounters with giving that buck the false sense if security in the just off wind. I just seem to see more movement from them in the high pressure setting giving him that advantage. I would also say I sometimes get busted more by gambling this way. I still hunt wind to face a lot but it really depends on the set up and scenario. I have one spot in particular where I'm hunting a water hole close to buck bedding. I set up about 40 yards down wind in my face and the deer will nearly always circle down wind ending up at 20 yards or less. So it's really setup specific.

Please note... I'm speaking of non rut hunting here.. Not rut hunts.

Just my opinion on all of this .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

X2.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:07 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:Dan and palmetto thanks for the response. Thats more of what I was looking for. Dan, when you say if deer bed on field edges looking towards the field with the wind at their back wouldn't that be in line with what vale would say in that the deer walk into the wind to the field edge and then bed on that side? I don't think I'm likely to see this on public land but I was just curious. I will be hunting some new public ground this year due to moving and I'm trying to get an idea of what side of food sources to target bucks on based on preferred bedding. I also have thought about doing some ground sits with a ghillie and was wondering if guys on here thought scent would be dispersed further in a stand or on the ground or maybe there's no difference.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I have never studied Vales information. I thought you said he was saying they bed on the downwind side of food / fields. I must have misread it. It does happen on public too, deer don't know public from private. Pressure would be more of a factor

Also, Dan do you believe some deer circle upwind of food plots because they smell any danger in the woods and use their view of the field to protect them from what they can't see?
yes
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:41 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:I'll save you 10 pages of bickering, about half or more of the guys on here do nothing other than playing the wind and being careful with entrance and exit routes from the stand. They kill bucks.

About half or so of mostly silent scent control guys do take scent precautions and they too kill bucks. They believe they can get an extra hunt or two out of a stand if they are clean. They still play the wind, they do not hunt sloppy.

I like this response.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:54 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:As mheichelbech said the question has nothing to do with scentlok or scentblocker or any other scent products. I dont believe you can eliminate all your scent regardless of how cautious you are because you are no match to a deer's nose. Go back and read the questions again. They are essentially about how to use wind to trick the buck into thinking he's safe and people's experiences on how wind will factor into where a buck will end up after feeding at night. Again please read the questions as they're more about strategies and personal experiences

My bad, I must have a reading comprehension problem. Dan and PK had some good info.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:24 am

I don't know who William Vale is never heard of the guy. I don't' read many books or magazines. I never heard of Dan Infalt until I joined the Beast either though. As far as wind on the ground compared to up in a tree. If you are on the ground and a buck passes at 10 yards down wind you have no chance of not getting busted. Up in a tree you have a chance of your scent blowing over the top of the buck. The higher up will give you a little more maybe out to 20 yards or a little farther. That is about the limit though. Your scent cones out the farther it goes down wind.

As for wind direction and a buck are concerned. I have never killed a buck that was down wind of me. If you are setting up on bucks that move into the wind you are in for some disappointments. Off winds will work Dan has talked about this. I always set up on bucks that will move with the wind at their back. In other words I set up to my advantage not the bucks. I am also never sloppy on entrance or exit to the stand. For me this is key. I always try to do my best on entrance or exit when going to or leaving the stand.

Kind of like shooting an arrow. I never get sloppy and just shoot an arrow when practicing I always shoot every arrow the best I can. I got this concept from a golfer many years ago (I don't golf). I went to an exhibition and that golfer was Jack Nicklaus. I took Jack's practice concepts and put them to use in my hunting process. If you are looking for a mental edge Jack Nicklous isn't a bad guy to try and emulate. If you looking to hunt buck beds Dan Infalt isn't a bad guy to try and emulate.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:00 am

Ridgerunner, in the situation where bucks are bedding on field edges with wind at their back what strategies have been successful in hunting these deer or is it near impossible to hunt these whitetails? The only thing I can think of is access inthe timber on the downwind side of the field and swing around to the opposite edge out of the view of the buck and have a marginal wind that would have the buck using the wind to travel the edge towards your location. This strategy assumes you know the exact bed location and that the buck is always using the wind instead of just entering the field which seems unlikely. What strategies have worked for others?

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 am

Good questions, great responses. I have also been wondering the same. I used to think mature bucks moved by the wind alone. But after doing some thinking, and listening to fellow beast members, I think mature bucks bed out of the survival mentality. Where they feel safe. They will travel miles to food if necessary. They bed where they feel safe. I use the wind more for my entrance and stand placement. Too many times I've seen a buck mysteriously moving the opposite direction than some "experts" say they do.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:44 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:Ridgerunner, in the situation where bucks are bedding on field edges with wind at their back what strategies have been successful in hunting these deer or is it near impossible to hunt these whitetails? The only thing I can think of is access inthe timber on the downwind side of the field and swing around to the opposite edge out of the view of the buck and have a marginal wind that would have the buck using the wind to travel the edge towards your location. This strategy assumes you know the exact bed location and that the buck is always using the wind instead of just entering the field which seems unlikely. What strategies have worked for others?

I glass from a distance and develop a pattern and/or find a flaw in his exit from his bed. Andrae has killed a lot of bucks using this method including some booner caliber. He has a lot of luck on certain moon days when the bucks get a little farther in daylight. But again, glassing and monitoring has been the key for him.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:44 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:Ridgerunner, in the situation where bucks are bedding on field edges with wind at their back what strategies have been successful in hunting these deer or is it near impossible to hunt these whitetails? The only thing I can think of is access inthe timber on the downwind side of the field and swing around to the opposite edge out of the view of the buck and have a marginal wind that would have the buck using the wind to travel the edge towards your location. This strategy assumes you know the exact bed location and that the buck is always using the wind instead of just entering the field which seems unlikely. What strategies have worked for others?

Again, it just really depends on the situation. If I was out towards the food source I would try to set up just out of sight if possible and let the buck watch the field all day giving him a false sense of security that it's safe to come out in daylight. If he watches it all day with no sign of danger and If other deer come out and feed and they are unmolested he is more likely to come out. I almost never hunt food sources though unless they are majorly secluded, don't get pounded with pressure, have great perimeter cover, and good entrance and exit.
Another option is coming in from the side instead of straight down wind where he is watching. I've pulled off some great hunts with this setup .

And them again.. If the setup just isn't there I won't push things.. Ill sit back and wait and keep the pressure off I hopes he makes a mistake somewhere else or gets comfortable enough to move more in daylight. It just really depends on the farm, surrounding pressure, competition if it's a shared property, terrain, access difficulty, etc, etc etc. I guess I just try to make the best decision I can and hope it works out. Sometimes it does and a lot of times it doesn't.

Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:47 am

And yes, I would agree with Dan and would certainly capitalize on early movement moon days if that's what I observed.

DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Thu May 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Ridgerunner7 - Great info. Would you mind sharing how your wind strategy changes during the rut? Do you find bucks cruise more into the wind to find does? My last two bucks (both 2.5yr olds) were cruising pre-rut almost directly into the wind (downwind of me) and it kind of surprised me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”