I musatt be really losing it

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

christian1
500 Club

I musatt be really losing it

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:51 pm

I was just watching American Rifleman. They had a segment where a guy went to the ATA show and featured 7 or 8 new "innovative" bowhunting products. I'm watching it and my thought was, "Eh, that stuff all looks like gimmicks"..... WAIT! WHAT? I must be losing it. That doesn't sound like something I would say at all. Guess this BEAST stuff is taking hold. That may be the best indication :clap:

chris

Dewey

Re: I musatt be really losing it

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Funny how you notice that stuff now isn't it? I cancelled most of my magazine subscriptions over the past few years because I am tired of them consisting of 70% advertisements with many of the the same gimmicks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm getting to be the same way, rarely do new hunting products interest me, most are just unnecessary.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:33 am

Funny how simple works best, proven means more, and success comes from OUR hard work.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:34 am

Yep totally reverted to simple, both hunting and fishing.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:46 am

Dewey wrote:Funny how you notice that stuff now isn't it? I cancelled most of my magazine subscriptions over the past few years because I am tired of them consisting of 70% advertisements with many of the the same gimmicks.

Not just that, but many of the articles in magazines are almost the same year after year, restating the same generic strategies. :?
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:45 am

I have always been anti gear. Never wanted to feel like I owed my success or failure to a product. Since finding this forum though, I have started to feel that a lot of "proven" tactics are gimmicky. Seems like most are BS that owe their fame to misguided information or cherry hunting grounds.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:42 am

I use to watch the deer hunting channels of Dish, but have not watch them in five years or so.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 pm

I still watch the hunting shows. I don't do it to learn anything or to buy new products but its better than most of the stuff on TV. If its whitetails in the midwest in October and November and not HIgh fence, I'll usually watch it. It gets me in the mood for hunting season. I will say, I only watch it on DVR when I can fast forward though all the ads and things like that. I have never bought anything because I have seen it on TV, I do enjoy watching all the so called pro hunters endorse ozonics. Its quite comical.

While I agree that the VAST majority of new products are gimmicks, its good to listen to whats out there. At one time, carbon arrows, expandable broad heads, neoprene boots were gimmicks but did catch on. I'm not saying anything new this year will come along, maybe not in the next 5 years, but eventually their will be another product that will probably be in everyones pack.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Bigb wrote:I still watch the hunting shows. I don't do it to learn anything or to buy new products but its better than most of the stuff on TV. If its whitetails in the midwest in October and November and not HIgh fence, I'll usually watch it. It gets me in the mood for hunting season. I will say, I only watch it on DVR when I can fast forward though all the ads and things like that. I have never bought anything because I have seen it on TV, I do enjoy watching all the so called pro hunters endorse ozonics. Its quite comical.

While I agree that the VAST majority of new products are gimmicks, its good to listen to whats out there. At one time, carbon arrows, expandable broad heads, neoprene boots were gimmicks but did catch on. I'm not saying anything new this year will come along, maybe not in the next 5 years, but eventually their will be another product that will probably be in everyones pack.

All good points. I guess my point was that-for me-I was a gimmick guy and now that stuff just doesn't appeal. Don't get me wrong, I am looking at a few things, but pixie dust and fairy juice aren't in the wheelhouse any longer. I am not saying that every product is that, but the ones I watched yesterday sure seemed to fall into that category.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:53 pm

The last truly great invention that really brings in deer anyway or time is the Acorn Cruncher. I keep at least three on hand at all times! :)
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm an archery addict and love to see all the new gear every year, however I rarely buy into the next great thing. But I do try products made by manufacturers that I already support.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”