Thanks and some other rambling

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

christian1
500 Club

Thanks and some other rambling

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:42 am

Just wanted to really thank Dan and all here for adding another layer to my hunting. I spent last fall and early winter worrying that this Beast thing wouldn't take hold. I fell back to the same old habits and never really put things into practice. So many wasted years of hunting the same way. This spring I attended Dan's workshop and added 30 + hours of scouting (and counting) to my . I was just going over my notes that I have been keeping. I have been keeping a running list with spots to check and spots I have scouted. I decided to put together a list of actual sets. I was amazed at how many I really have. I know this is only a starting point, but I really feel better about this fall.

So now I have that piece of the puzzle starting to come together. I am truly grateful. I guess I still feel like I am missing one piece. Many of you take it for granted. That piece is a good friend/family that is really committed to the sport. I am not really talking about someone to hunt the same spots, but someone to call and bounce ideas off of, someone to go shining with, someone to meet up with after the hunt, someone to help drag :lol: . Listening to some of your stories and meeting some of you has made me yearn for what you have. I guess I should be happy that I have this forum. It's more than I had a year ago. Sorry for the ramble.

chris

PK_
500 Club

Re: Thanks and some other rambling

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:07 pm

I feel your pain on not having a like-minded hunting buddy. But like you said, at least we have this forum.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:16 pm

Chris, if you know of any beast members that are close by, you should contact them and talk hunting. I met a fellow beast by figuring out he lived 20 miles away and then actually met him at a Ted Nugent concert! That was two years ago. Since then we have become good friends and do some scouting together and some hunting together. Let me tell you, my learning curve to understand big buck bedding and how to hunt it was shortened A TON because two like minded hunters were bouncing thoughts off each other as we scouted. Or just talking on the phone.

I guess it sounds a little creepy that I met my friend on the internet! But the beast family is a unique, salt of the earth, group of people. The odds are with you that it will be a good thing!
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:35 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Chris, if you know of any beast members that are close by, you should contact them and talk hunting. I met a fellow beast by figuring out he lived 20 miles away and then actually met him at a Ted Nugent concert! That was two years ago. Since then we have become good friends and do some scouting together and some hunting together. Let me tell you, my learning curve to understand big buck bedding and how to hunt it was shortened A TON because two like minded hunters were bouncing thoughts off each other as we scouted. Or just talking on the phone.

I guess it sounds a little creepy that I met my friend on the internet! But the beast family is a unique, salt of the earth, group of people. The odds are with you that it will be a good thing!

I hear ya. I'm not trying to play make a date here. I guess if and when I have a few guys I can call hunting buddies it will just happen. I'm not gonna force it. I have kept my location sort of hidden just because I didn't want that to affect how people responded to me. Actually I live relatively near Dan. I have been down the road of competing for spots. I don't like that part of hunting. I like the after the hunt stuff like talking about how you did or what you saw or what you have planned for tomorrow. I have five daughters and darn it, a guy needs a little guy time!

chris
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:49 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Chris, if you know of any beast members that are close by, you should contact them and talk hunting. I met a fellow beast by figuring out he lived 20 miles away and then actually met him at a Ted Nugent concert! That was two years ago. Since then we have become good friends and do some scouting together and some hunting together. Let me tell you, my learning curve to understand big buck bedding and how to hunt it was shortened A TON because two like minded hunters were bouncing thoughts off each other as we scouted. Or just talking on the phone.

I have met some of my best friends ever on hunting forums.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:46 pm

christian1 wrote:

I hear ya. I'm not trying to play make a date here. I guess if and when I have a few guys I can call hunting buddies it will just happen. I'm not gonna force it. I have kept my location sort of hidden just because I didn't want that to affect how people responded to me. Actually I live relatively near Dan. I have been down the road of competing for spots. I don't like that part of hunting. I like the after the hunt stuff like talking about how you did or what you saw or what you have planned for tomorrow. I have [glow=red][glow=red]five daughters[/glow][/glow] and darn it, a guy needs a little guy time!

chris

I feel for you :lol: :lol:

I've got four daughters, and when they are all together a guy can hardly think straight with all the yaking going on :lol: :lol:
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:48 pm

christian1 wrote: I guess if and when I have a few guys I can call hunting buddies it will just happen.

The more you learn from Dan and this forum, the less interesting mainstream hunting will become to you . I guess I am saying you aren't very likely to just bump into a new hunting buddy that shares your level of enthusiasm anywhere but on the Beast.

To ease your mind, my Beast hunting buddy and I don't compete at all for any hunting spots. We do share strategies and ideas about this property or that property, in fact, we talked this evening about a certain public spot we have our eyes on.. We do occasionally hunt the same bedding area (covering two exits at once). We do have jointly scouted property and we both have our own spots we have scouted alone and hunt alone. All public land.

I don't think I am much different than you. I live within 50 miles of Dan. I have attended a scouting workshop. I have three daughters and am the boss at work of four more women! Yikes.

It is probably important for you to figure out a lot of this buck bed hunting on your own. I had four years of Beast scouting/hunting under my belt before I ever talked to another hunter following the same path. But once I started sharing ideas with another Beast with similar experience, I rapidly started to understand things I had not figured out before.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Good points. Thanks for the encouragement guys. Sometimes I get a little down about it. My focus should be on becoming a better hunter with what I have. I still would like to find a dragging buddy though :dance:

chris
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:30 am

I'll help!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:27 am

christian1 wrote:Good points. Thanks for the encouragement guys. Sometimes I get a little down about it. My focus should be on becoming a better hunter with what I have. I still would like to find a dragging buddy though :dance:

chris

It is good to have a friend you can talk to. I talk with quite a few of the Beast members by phone. Lot of great people to talk with. I never worry about the drag out. That is the last thing in the order of the process.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:02 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I'll help!

I'm afraid of what that might cost me in air fare.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”