public or private land (poll)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

what do you deer hunt on?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:21 am

Public
30%
private
9%
both
61%

Total votes: 56
fishlips
500 Club

Re: public or private land (poll)

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:31 pm

I put public but do get onto private 1-2 times a year

[ Post made via Android ] Image

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 am

dan wrote:
dan wrote:Both, but mostly public.

Just thinking about this I had to chuckle... 90% of my hunting this year was on public, but all 3 bucks shot were on private... The ironic thing about that is hunting the public and leaving the private alone till the time is right is why the private paid off...

Did you know the bucks were already on the private? My plan this year is expanding into public to give the private properties more of a rest like you just said but it will be hard to stay away with me knowing what is on one of the properties I hunt.....VERY HARD.....If I don't get him opening day or the next, not sure how I can make myself stay away. How much rest in between hunts would you give a small property that you knew held what I am guessing to be a 180-200 inch buck this year?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:35 am

I new about the buck I took early season at Daves, and was hunting for that buck when I shot him. I went in when Dave called me and said his track was in a certain crop field where I was waiting for it to show...

The buck I shot in Iowa was a target buck that I was hunting when I shot it too...

The buck I shot during rut at Daves was never seen before.

Daves property is small... We hunt it about once every 2 weeks and both go in the same day with a plan. Personally, I think that is to much pressure, but not my land, and not my rules. Step in the right direction from the way it was prior to my advice.

If there was a 200 inch buck there would I hunt more? Probably not. But I would certainly observe from a distance more... Its a catch 22... You can't kill him if your not hunting, but to much pressure and you can't kill him. Its all about patience and timing.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 am

I hunted once on private this year at the end of the season the rest was public. Every other year has been 100% public.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”