Have you been working out ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Have you been working out ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:20 am

Just wondering if any of you have been working out to get ready for the upcoming season ? I am not in shape at all, so this week I started hitting the treadmill... I hope it helps get me in shape so I'm not swetting like crazy the first few times I have to walk to my stand... Hopefully by then, it will be cooled off a little bit, that would help...

woody-san

Re: Have you been working out ?

Unread postby woody-san » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:14 am

I've been working out most of the year rehabbing an injury, but I've definitely stepped it up in anticipation of deer season. I need everything working well if I plan on dragging a big boy out of the Ohio hill country wilderness.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:21 am

About the only thing that has been in my regiment is packing the stand and sticks every morning and evening to my observation sites. Man is it hot. Starting next week I will throw no the back pack with the hydration bag full. As far as the sweat factor goes, I have learned that I can drop the amount of sweat quite a bit simply by switching to water intake. It seems that if I consume soft drinks and /or juice, it makes me sweat even more the next day. Good luck with the work outs.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:26 am

Been shooting daily now for a couple weeks working out the kinks. I don't carry my stand in each time out, so I have to place my stands with climbing pegs and sticks that I'll leave out all season unless I see a need to change my loci after a few sits. That said, clinging to a tree for an hour definitely takes the wind out of your sails for a little while. . . The thirsty drive home leaves feeling pretty good - like I just left the gym.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:27 am

I have been riding bike a lot this summer sometimes up to 30 miles a day and working out some on my Bowflex. It's amazing how much this helps with long hikes, climbing trees and dragging deer. As I get older I find that I have to work harder at being in shape for the hunting season but by working out some I feel just as good as I did twenty years ago.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:16 am

I have been working out 5 days a week or so for the past two months. I got real sick in May with Mono. I felt like a zombie and only missed one day of work (should have taken off a week). Starting the first week of July I began walking the hills in my neighborhood with a backpack and 45 lbs in the back. I went through heck to get back into shape. I ran 4 miles last night.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:47 am

After a bad doctor visit in March I changed things up and got into cardio kickboxing (gloves and bags) as well as some spin classes at a local gym. Brought some resistance band and weight training in as well and have lost about 30 pounds and gotten a lot stronger. Been shooting about 50 arrows a day around lunch time in the back yard just to "get the shakes out". If/when I get a chance to hunt after #3 is born (sometime in the next week) I'm hoping I'll be able to walk around without being a sweaty mess.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
tresleggos

Unread postby tresleggos » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:08 am

i get a of a work out from my job everyday so by the time i get home , im beat and still chasing the kids and cleaning. after that the only lifting i do is a cocktail up to my face
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:13 am

I have been running a lot this summer. Last year I ran the Chicago Marathon in October, this year maybe planning on the Middleton one at the end of October. Bad timing with hunting, but I might just shoot the first buck I see. I guess I will have to decide at that time. Good luck to all with working out, it is still a bi$ch dragging out deer.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:30 am

I have been watching what I eat, and jogging 2 to 4 miles a day. My goal is shave 10lbs before season. Shouldn't be a problem. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:04 am

I begin my pre-season workout in June, so that gives me 3 months to get prepared, and maintain once the season comes in. I stay healthy year around, but meet the demands of the hunting season takes on a different role. As a strength coach/personal trainer, it helps to know the physical demands. Biking 8-10 miles 4 times per week, lower body strengthening, back strengthening 3-4 times per week (emphasis on rhomboids, rotator cuff, lats) and most important your core. Core takes on a different meaning. Strengthening the TVA and obliques, and time under tension posterior chain exercises, allow you to be more efficient when stabilizing on those long sits and when it comes to holding your draw for a extended period of time if need be. So, I'm ready for the season!
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:57 am

I normally work out year round so I don't need to really switch anything up when it comes around.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:53 am

I really didn't think about this in my first post, but the other thing I do is ride my bike around the 2 tracks of my state land spots to see where the travel corridors are for the year.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:03 am

I biked 9 miles yesterday. I'm gonna jog 4 miles later today.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:14 am

I'm picking up the pace a bit and will continue to get more serious. I mainly focus on cardio and my legs by walking and running.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”