How you got started?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How you got started?

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:41 pm

jafcb wrote:Humm i got started when a friend who was a huge trapper/ hunter made me promise to learn how to hunt and fish died! I was on my 5th tour to Iraq and Matt kept talking about hunting and i asked questions and said the normal what did dear do to you BS! (i was to scared to admit i wanted to learn but afraid to ask) i spent hours lisitning to him talk of trapping to hunting deer and wild boars (sounds like i had a man crush). We had a conversation and i told him i would buy a bow and learn how to hunt once we returned to the states. Well as always fate is a total C*&^ and Matt and the crew of my my MRAP (Bomb proof truck) hit a IED (Improvised Explosive Device) I ended up ;losing the tendons in my right Shoulder and being the only one walking away (Stretcher) Ever since i am focased on being the hunter he was and what he wanted to be. so as corny as it sounds im living my life and trying to be the hunter he wanted to teach me to be. sorry i depressed you but i figured an honest anser was warranted!

Life can be hard at times... God spared you for a reason.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:08 pm

jafcb wrote:Humm i got started when a friend who was a huge trapper/ hunter made me promise to learn how to hunt and fish died! I was on my 5th tour to Iraq and Matt kept talking about hunting and i asked questions and said the normal what did dear do to you BS! (i was to scared to admit i wanted to learn but afraid to ask) i spent hours lisitning to him talk of trapping to hunting deer and wild boars (sounds like i had a man crush). We had a conversation and i told him i would buy a bow and learn how to hunt once we returned to the states. Well as always fate is a total C*&^ and Matt and the crew of my my MRAP (Bomb proof truck) hit a IED (Improvised Explosive Device) I ended up ;losing the tendons in my right Shoulder and being the only one walking away (Stretcher) Ever since i am focased on being the hunter he was and what he wanted to be. so as corny as it sounds im living my life and trying to be the hunter he wanted to teach me to be. sorry i depressed you but i figured an honest anser was warranted!

One of the best post on this thread. I applaud you for keeping your word and thank you for you service to this country.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Thanks for your service. Goodluck hunting this year man!

jafcb

Unread postby jafcb » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:17 am

welded34 wrote:Thanks for your service. Goodluck hunting this year man!

Thanks it will be an improvment if i see a deer more than once lol
George Harris
U.S. Army Soon to be retired
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:53 pm

Dad got into hunting when I was, maybe 6 to 8 years old. I was immediately 'all in'. Took a few years of begging to finally get him to take me on a hunt. We spent the next decade or so stumbling around the woods killing the rare unfortunate unsuspecting animal, rarely even seeing a buck let alone one that was 2.5 or older. I used to think to myself when I would see another hunter bag a basket rack 8 point that if I could just kill one 8 pointer I would be a happy hunter for the rest of my life…

Well my first decent buck came in 2008. Followed by a bigger one in '09. From there the flood gates opened, I started reading extensively on whitetails, I started playing the wind, hunting mobile, hunting bedding areas, scouting year round and then I found the beast and it all started to REALLY make sense and have been fortunate to pile up some venison as well as some bone in last couple years.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”