Thermal Tunnels????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

christian1
500 Club

Thermal Tunnels????

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Can someone explain thermal tunnels and how bucks use them in and out of the rut?

chris

yungbuck
500 Club

Re: Thermal Tunnels????

Unread postby yungbuck » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:23 pm

i am not the go to for hunting info (greenhorn myself), but i would suggest searching the past threads (this is discussed in depth many places and buying dan's hill country dvd, if you do not have it spend the $ on it immediately). in a nut shell thermal tunnels are where most deer spend their time when traveling/bedding in the hill country. It is on the downwind (also call leeward) side of a hill or mountain. About 1/3 of the way down from the top/crest of the hill the prevailing winds (lets say out of the West) will come over the hill and meet the wind thermals on the eastern side aka downwind side aka leeward side of the hills. So once the sun hits the ground and valley of that hill thermal effects will be pulling wind up the eastern side, while simultaneously the prevailing wind will be taking wind from the west and coming to the eastern side of the hill. Where the prevailing winds meet the thermals they sort of circulate and collide creating what is called a "thermal tunnel". This is ideal for hunting deer because they are very safe in that tunnel. they are able to smell anything above them, due to the prevailing wind coming from the western side and to the leeward side. they are able to see anything in front of and below them. and they are able to smell anything below them from the thermals lifting scent from the lower portions of the hills.

bucks bed on points or shelfs on hills and ridges typically in the thermal tunnel
bucks and does travel on the leeward side of hills in this thermal tunnel

for use during the rut you need insight from the veterans- as I have seen/understand if does are still using those tunnels as travel routes from beds to food then the bucks will be scent checking them during the rut...if you already knew all of what I explained then I apologize for the lengthy reply

I have included illustration- please do not inform my first grade art teacher that my skills have not improved since I was in her class!!!

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:24 pm

I somewhat understand this but what about in the afternoons when thermals are dropping not rising? Wouldnt this thermal tunnel only happen in the am hours when thermals rise

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 pm

brkissl82 wrote:I somewhat understand this but what about in the afternoons when thermals are dropping not rising? Wouldnt this thermal tunnel only happen in the am hours when thermals rise

Thermals rise all day... Its not till the sun goes out of view of the hill and the hill becomes shaded that the thermals switch. Generally, we hunt within the thermal tunnel mainly during the rut when bucks cruise in daylight, but we do also catch them along that area in the evenings early or late season near there beds, but often its after the thermal switch.

The picture Young buck drew is a little off. The tunnel would be up slightly higher on a hill like he drew. I like to set up on the tunnel on a pc of ridge that connects two areas, to catch bucks cruising between bedding areas in search for does. I also (outside the rut) know that bucks like to bed along the thermal tunnel on points jutting out from the ridge. This narrows my search as to where to locate bedded bucks.

I do believe the current Extreme Whitetail tactics episode on the beast is airing a show right now that explains all this in detail. just go to http://www.extremewhitetailtactics.com or click the HB/TV button at the top of the beast.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:16 pm

dan wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:I somewhat understand this but what about in the afternoons when thermals are dropping not rising? Wouldnt this thermal tunnel only happen in the am hours when thermals rise

Thermals rise all day... Its not till the sun goes out of view of the hill and the hill becomes shaded that the thermals switch. Generally, we hunt within the thermal tunnel mainly during the rut when bucks cruise in daylight, but we do also catch them along that area in the evenings early or late season near there beds, but often its after the thermal switch.

The picture Young buck drew is a little off. The tunnel would be up slightly higher on a hill like he drew. I like to set up on the tunnel on a pc of ridge that connects two areas, to catch bucks cruising between bedding areas in search for does. I also (outside the rut) know that bucks like to bed along the thermal tunnel on points jutting out from the ridge. This narrows my search as to where to locate bedded bucks.

I do believe the current Extreme Whitetail tactics episode on the beast is airing a show right now that explains all this in detail. just go to http://www.extremewhitetailtactics.com or click the HB/TV button at the top of the beast.

x2 dan
the red line is the quote on quote thermal tunnel area....it varys from day to day were is is....depending on how steep the ridge is it may accrue up higher then usual ...steeper the ridge the faster they rush up the hill...wind speed, cloud cover, rain, snow, shine, they all make a difference in the thermals but there will always be thermal no matter what....sometimes its higher in elevation and sometimes it lower
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:13 pm

So it's a hill country thing? Glad I asked then. I was thinking something else.

chris
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:13 am

christian1 wrote:So it's a hill country thing? Glad I asked then. I was thinking something else.

chris

No that s not true....thermals happen on smaller scale...just think of the workshop at daves farm ..some of those deer were bedding on that grassy knoll almost in like a thermal area...I even remember dan stating "if we drop a milk weed real close to the ground we would see it suck back up towards to bedding "........like a small thermal effect

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:24 am

BigHunt wrote:[x2 dan
the red line is the quote on quote thermal tunnel area....it varys from day to day were is is....depending on how steep the ridge is it may accrue up higher then usual ...steeper the ridge the faster they rush up the hill...wind speed, cloud cover, rain, snow, shine, they all make a difference in the thermals but there will always be thermal no matter what....sometimes its higher in elevation and sometimes it lower

Nice description!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:41 am

Great illustration BH
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Be careful when listening to generalities about thermals.
South facing slopes yes; north facing not so much.
Main ravine thermals can trump tributary ravines. ie draw air currents counter to the norm.
And as BH cited stronger winds can wreak havoc on prior milkweed tested tunnel areas.
Experience on the property is key to actual currents. Some properties seem to have very limited variation in air
currents no matter the "wind o' the day"!
This is not to say that you cannot predict them to some extent especially on S facing, but you may need to scout and hunt most parcels a few times to get dialed in.
IMO

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Arrowbender wrote:Be careful when listening to generalities about thermals.
Main ravine thermals can trump tributary ravines. ie draw air currents counter to the norm.
And as BH cited stronger winds can wreak havoc on prior milkweed tested tunnel areas.
Experience on the property is key to actual currents. Some properties seem to have very limited variation in air
This is not to say that you cannot predict them to some extent especially on S facing, but you may need to scout and hunt most parcels a few times to get dialed in.
IMO

You bring up some good points... Wind direction can drive you nuts in hill country. Even though the wind is out of one direction at the truck it can be totally different where your hunting. Ravines, hills, wood edges, water, etc can all turn wind, and so can the steepness or angle of a ridge or draw. I have been doing this for many years and still to this day I run into air currents that just baffle me. Nothing beats getting to know your hunting ground.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 pm

dan wrote:
IMO

You bring up some good points... Wind direction can drive you nuts in hill country. Even though the wind is out of one direction at the truck it can be totally different where your hunting. Ravines, hills, wood edges, water, etc can all turn wind, and so can the steepness or angle of a ridge or draw. I have been doing this for many years and still to this day I run into air currents that just baffle me. Nothing beats getting to know your hunting ground.

well said
Last edited by BigHunt on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:01 pm

IMO

to be honest with you, on my property it has the same affect on both sides of the ridge either it being north facing or south...every property differs.........
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”