Stand set up question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: Stand set up question

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 am

dan wrote:I remember a buck I set up On that that I had a big lone willow in a marsh to work with. I stood in the crotch of the willow 6 feet off the ground and a big trunk went up between me and the incoming deer blocking my view... A couple hours into the hunt I heard the buck approaching and was worried about exactly how he was coming at me so I slowly poked around to see... The buck instantly locked on me, snorted, and then got out of Dodge... That was 30 years ago, but I seem to remember the failures better than the successes. They tend to burn a lesson down to the bone.

Well that is your fault for not wearing a 'be the decoy' squirrel hat. I never go into the deer woods without one.

:lol:

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:26 pm

What do you do in a rut funnel when they could be coming from either direction? Set up with what you think is the best odds direction? Also, another good spot for me, the only way to face the direction they are coming and get the left side shot is to setup nearly right on the field edge would that be preferred rather than risk having to turn or have your back to them?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:53 pm

mheichelbech wrote:What do you do in a rut funnel when they could be coming from either direction? Set up with what you think is the best odds direction? Also, another good spot for me, the only way to face the direction they are coming and get the left side shot is to setup nearly right on the field edge would that be preferred rather than risk having to turn or have your back to them?

In a funnel I set up so I can see both ways (this will give you a stiff neck for sure). How strong the wind is often dictates how and what you can do. I often wait so I have a quartering away shot from either direction depending on how windy it is. A quartering away buck is much less likely to see you move than a quartering to buck. Plus the quartering away shot is deadly. Once the buck is past you a little you can move some and not get picked off.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:34 pm

mheichelbech wrote:What do you do in a rut funnel when they could be coming from either direction? Set up with what you think is the best odds direction? Also, another good spot for me, the only way to face the direction they are coming and get the left side shot is to setup nearly right on the field edge would that be preferred rather than risk having to turn or have your back to them?

FACING THE TRAIL usually. But it has gotten me busted a time or two with the buck looking up at me without the tree behind me to blend in. Good thing rut bucks often are preoccupied.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:09 am

Do you guys try to brush in your stands at all....I realize the woods are a bucks living room but would they notice if you had a pre-set stand from the Spring and added limbs to it in the Fall?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:18 am

mheichelbech wrote:Do you guys try to brush in your stands at all....I realize the woods are a bucks living room but would they notice if you had a pre-set stand from the Spring and added limbs to it in the Fall?
That can work, but for me, I am in a different tree just about every day, and often don't return to spots I set up for several seasons. I don't have time to pre-set hundreds of stand sites and add cover. Maybe on the ones you know your going to hunt that need it.
If I can see the buck before he sees me, stand, but my back against the tree so I don't stick out, I usually get away with hunting telephone trees that have little to no cover.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”