equipment upgrade

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

yungbuck
500 Club

equipment upgrade

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:43 pm

After walking endless miles in the woods this fall I decided two things...first: I am tired of filling every pocket in my jacket to the brim. Second:I am not happy with the group's from my current arrow rest (quick tune 360). So I am asking a community of hunters I respect greatly. What pack (been looking at eberle stock) do you useto sstrap to your stand to carry in and what rest do you use on your bow?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Brad

Re: equipment upgrade

Unread postby Brad » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:57 pm

I carry a badlands treehugger pack, I sling it over my shoulder and neck so it hangs at my side, carry the bow on the other hand and stand on my back. I have been using a QAD HDX last year and really really like it, but any of the too brand full containment drop always are good. If you buy QAD, trophy taker, NAP, limb driver etc your bound to be happy.
yungbuck wrote:After walking endless miles in the woods this fall I decided two things...first: I am tired of filling every pocket in my jacket to the brim. Second:I am not happy with the group's from my current arrow rest (quick tune 360). So I am asking a community of hunters I respect greatly. What pack (been looking at eberle stock) do you useto sstrap to your stand to carry in and what rest do you use on your bow?

semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Check out this article:

The article reports on the accuracy and speed from fall away rests vs. a whisker biscuit. Its the best article on the subject I've found.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whi ... er-biscuit

Spoiler Alert:

Reading this article may save you a few $
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:02 pm

I have the QAD too and like it also

Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:13 pm

I use gameplan gear tts system. I put extra clips on my other stands so i can pick the best stand for set and go.

http://www.gameplangear.com/productcart ... product=14

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:16 pm

Ripcord code red here. Fieldline side bag from Walmart with shoulder strap. I have three of them.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:44 pm

I actually have a whisker biscuit on my secondary bow and may just move it over...Still just trying to see what people are successfully shooting.

rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:45 pm

Qad hdx hands down, I used to be a whisker biscuit man but will never go back. To me there was a noticeable difference
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:17 pm

I'd get a whisker biscuit bomb proof never worry again it will preform, for pure whitetail hunting in the brush, you can ditch the binos, shot 1 pin set at 25 yards, so that means you can ditch the range finder, and have an idiot proof bow rig. these are just my opinions.

I run a badlands 2200 pack you can strap a long wolf and sticks in the bat wings, have all you clothes in the main body, make the harvest and pack most of the deboned meat in one trip. You can carry allot of weight with a good pack and never really notice it.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Whisker Biscuit is by far the most hunter friendly rest out there in my opinion. I like to keep things simple and that rest is as simple as it gets. Tried plenty of other rests to compare and accuracy isn't even the slightest issue. That F&S article above is right on.

I use a Badlands fanny pack for my gear but been downsizing lately to only what I can fit in my pockets. Trying to cut down on weight since most of the stuff I carried rarely gets used.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:18 pm

QAD rests are hard to beat, been shooting them for years without issue.

The Badlands packs are tough as nails but the darn zippers are too loud. I stopped using my Badlands packs and found a couple of cheapies with quiet zippers. YMMV
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Qad has my attention but since I am not a bow tech I am afraid it will miss fire after crawling in the mud and getting bumped by brush during a season...thanks guys

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:26 pm

I shot a bow with a whisker biscuit and didn't like it. It shoots fine as long as you don't make any mistakes. I want a rest that is forgiving as possible so I decided on a drop away. I went with a Limb Driver. I love it except it dose seem to have one draw back.... Sometimes it gets buck fever. :lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:47 pm

Wisker guy here also. It punches my slick tricks to any range i see in the actual woods. Im in the minority but i love my day one pack.

wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:11 pm

semperfidelis wrote:Check out this article:

The article reports on the accuracy and speed from fall away rests vs. a whisker biscuit. Its the best article on the subject I've found.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whi ... er-biscuit

Spoiler Alert:

Reading this article may save you a few $

I am personally a drop away guy. I think this article missed two big arguments in its testing. The article stated you have to refletch your arrows more often. If your fletchings are being damaged by the rest then your flight is being affected. The second is the whisker wears down, which will also affect your flight. If you shoot a lot there is no arguing that your bow will become more out of tune. There are plenty of people that like to shoot whiskers and that is fine, you just won’t find one on my bow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”