equipment upgrade

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: equipment upgrade

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:57 pm

For gear I switched to a fly fishing vest last year. It puts everything in front & accessible while walking with my stand. I still need to carry a pack for packing out kills so I strapped an Alice pack to my LW.

If you're going to be in mud & heavy brush stick to the biscuit.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:10 am

For a thick nasty swamp I would also stick to a whisker biscuit. I'm a minimalist, what do you really need to take with you to hunt for 3 hours. I'm a bow, stand and knife guy. If I'm going sit all day, I'll take a fanny pack. Something with big quiet zipper.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:36 am

Whisker and badlands monster fanny pack, but I really like the 2200 for all day sits.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:21 am

I've exclusively used Limbdrivers on all of my bows since 2008. I have been through every thick piece of cover you can imagine and they have worked flawlessly. I thought about trying a QAD HDX on one of my bows, but there is a lot of ink on other forums about failures. Personally, I don't have time for that so I will be getting the Limbdriver Pro-V to use instead. It's all of 80 percent total containment with all of the benefits of a limbdriven system.

I'm going to the one stick system like Cbigbear on here has been using. I'm pretty sure I can get into any tree using this method and only carry one climbing stick. By doing so, I will cut some serious weight off my shoulders. Other than that just carrying the bare necessities is all I will be doing. On long walks from the truck like 3-4 miles, I will probably use my treesaddle instead of my Lone Wolf.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:26 am

I shoot the biscuit out to 50 with no issues and no moving parts. I carry only what fits in my pockets. A pack just holds a bunch of stuff that never gets used. Extra clothes strapped to stand if necessary

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:33 am

I'm back to the QAD HDX. I haven't had an issue with this rest. I think most issues are related to guys running short cords.

I switched to the limb driver Pro-V for a season. I love the simplicity and the ability to fix in the field, but hated the pickup and letdown. I'd be willing to part with it...
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:58 am

Whisker Biscuit and Badlands pursuit pack. Pack straps right onto my stand over my sticks and it fits perfect. Here is a pic.

John
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:59 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'm back to the QAD HDX. I haven't had an issue with this rest. I think most issues are related to guys running short cords.

I switched to the limb driver Pro-V for a season. I love the simplicity and the ability to fix in the field, but hated the pickup and letdown. I'd be willing to part with it...

I agree Bass. The up and let down feature is not my favorite thing. That is why I was interested in the HDX. I started reading reviews and either you have people that like it or hate it. I'd love to just cock the rest and forget about it ;)
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:49 am

I've used Muzzy Ex-cellerator, G5 Expert II and now a Ripcord (model that was right before the Code Red). All worked great. for simplicity, the G5 was my favorite. with all the write ups I've read about the QAD having issues in the cold and having to lube up the insides, I'd be leery. If I were to get anything different, it would be a Trophy Taker. If you really don't like the whisker biscuit and want a simple rest, look at a prong rest. they are simple and they work.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:46 am

wiscbowhntr wrote:
semperfidelis wrote:Check out this article:

The article reports on the accuracy and speed from fall away rests vs. a whisker biscuit. Its the best article on the subject I've found.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whi ... er-biscuit

Spoiler Alert:

Reading this article may save you a few $

I am personally a drop away guy. I think this article missed two big arguments in its testing. The article stated you have to refletch your arrows more often. If your fletchings are being damaged by the rest then your flight is being affected. The second is the whisker wears down, which will also affect your flight. If you shoot a lot there is no arguing that your bow will become more out of tune. There are plenty of people that like to shoot whiskers and that is fine, you just won’t find one on my bow.

The fletchings wearing down will not be an issue if you shoot Blazer vanes. I have arrows that have been shot daily for years and never had an issue. The replacement whiskers are pretty cheap so I replace mine every season.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:00 am

Agreed Dewey, we even put a dab of super glue in front of fletchings for extra strength. Works beautifully. Also badlands has a no questions warranty as long as you are the original owner. I had mine for 5 years and zippers finally went and one of my support straps busted and I sent to them and got a new pack. If they cannot fix, they replace with the model newer or same one if they still have them. Great company IMO.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:10 am

Rip cord rest .... As far as packs go, my recomondation would go in reverse and I would say evaluate your equipment and only take what you need and you should have no problem fitting that list in your pockets.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 am

After this season I bought a sitka whitetail bucket???? pack. Very quiet and it is designed to 1-separate from shoulder straps to place stand between frame (plastic) and pack then 2-after placing stand the pack portion gets strapped to tree for accessing gear.
I did not pay full price $$$$$ and have not used it to carry stand yet. Scouting trips have been nice with it so far.
Which rest to use is the same as What motor oil should I use?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:01 am

Personally I use the Rip Cord and have had great success with it. In years past I did try the QAD HD and had a problem with the mechanism freezing and not dropping on a couple of cold December hunts. I have not had that problem with the Rip Cord. I like the thumb wheel on the QAD better than what the Rip Cord has but in my opinion the Rip Cord is a better made rest. As far as a back pack I generally only hunt with what I can fit in my pockets. I dont often need a pack to carry extra stuff outside of packing a lunch for all day sits.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:34 am

dan wrote:Rip cord rest .... As far as packs go, my recomondation would go in reverse and I would say evaluate your equipment and only take what you need and you should have no problem fitting that list in your pockets.

;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”