Intel on shared private, to share or not to share?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Intel on shared private, to share or not to share?

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:09 am

Soooo, I am sure some of you guys have this same scenario. I hunt family land out of state. I am not greedy about specific deer, I could care less who of us shoots a big one. But in recent years with acquiring the 'Beast' mentality I have been zoning in on some buck beds. I am actually taking a long weekend in May to spring scout up there (undercover as turkey hunting). Also hoping to shed hunt.

So my question is, when dealing with family, do you just keep quiet about bedding areas and play dumb? If you find a big shed in a bedding area are you just kind of vague about where you found it?

I know how this would be perceived by some, is that I am being greedy about spots/deer but that's not the case. I just know that by saying, 'Hey, I found this big shed and this buck's bed littered with rubs right here.' They would immediately start to muddy the area and really inadvertently ruin any chance for anyone to kill a good buck in that area…

Anyways, I'm done rambling. Any thoughts??

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
briar
500 Club

Re: Intel on shared private, to share or not to share?

Unread postby briar » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:13 am

Your doing the work my friend, what you choose to do with that information is up to you!! Not saying anything isn't lying and you don't really own that information to anyone.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:20 am

I wouldnt lie, but I also would just try not to play up what I know. You only know what you know because of your hard work and that will change if they pile in on it.

Just keep it nonchalant. No need to make a big deal out of your work. If you point them to a spot, I would juwt say something like, "this spot might be decent." That way you avoid explaining what and why you know.

Family is family, but theres also nothing wrong with benefiting from your work. I would only share fully if I felt the hunter could and would hunt it right. My hunting partners are like that and weve all benefited imo. If they hunt but dont or cant grasp proper hunting techniques, theres nothing wrong with that, but you shouldnt feel obligated to spill your beans. Plus after a buck or two, you wont need to tell your family. Theyll figure it out that your spots are good for whatever reason.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:04 am

You did the work to find a good buck, I would keep the intel to myself. Seems selfish, but it can happen that someone may cash in on your work.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:24 am

Your family wont understand that bed hunting is ruined more quickly than say an intrusion during the rut. Do not let them know bed locations because they will go look see.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:31 am

Stanley wrote:[glow=red]Your family wont understand that bed hunting is ruined[/glow] more quickly than say an intrusion during the rut. Do not let them know bed locations because they will go look see.

For the reason Stanley stated I would keep tight lipped...not to keep a family member from shooting a specific animal but to keep bedding areas active and keep the deer on your family land rather than pressure them out of there.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:37 pm

I have no problem sharing, but if I have people that refuse to do any of their own work I keep it from them.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:50 pm

If the others hunting the property were like minded as you I would share. However, I really agree with Stanley. You mention beds and someone will investigate and ruin it for ya.

You being so far away you may not even know the spot has been invaded and you could waste valuable hunting time.

It isn't being selfish, hunting Beast style takes a lot of hard work, devotion and being smart. One step of being smart is to be quiet about your setups....just my 2 cents
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:34 pm

I hunt on my in laws ground, my wife knows my spots but keeps them quiet. No one else knows and no one else will know, not being selfish, I put forth the effort to find them not them, if they put in the time and effort they could do the same. On the public I would only trust about 4 people with that info and two of them are beast members from out of state.

yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Shhhh

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:43 am

You got the right idea - you're just turkey hunting & during deer season you're just scouting for turkeys. Any & all deer killed were pure luck!!!!!
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:00 am

I have yet to meet someone who is willing to sit through a tutorial and grasp enough of it to make good use of it; bits and pieces, sure, but not all of the details. The details all play a part in my approaches, as I'm sure they do for the majority of you. I don't sit a spot for the sake of seeing what happens - everything is thought out, unless I'm hunting on the ground and setting up on fresh sign right then and there. I won't lie to someone I share land with, but I'm also not going out of my way to dispel my intel without being prompted. I have a few beds located that may/may not be active come season, but I'm not going to mark them on a map and send them in an email or text message to the person I share private with. For the most part, I hunt on the defense. It's easy to marry a stand or have an emotional attachment to a spot because of a past encounter or just plain belief that it will eventually produce. I scout the person I'm sharing the land with by keeping track of where he sits and how often he visits, how he approaches the stand (which is usually the same way every time) and I hunt around him based on how I think the deer will shift their movement to avoid him. I am successful this way, but I find that once I tag a buck in a spot and divulge where I got him, suddenly that spot is compromised the rest of the season and the next, so, I keep on my toes :)

Loose lips sink ships...
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:09 am

Loose lips sink ships...

If you tell people info you will end up regretting it. I was hunting a monster one year and told a fellow hunter on the property and guess who shot the 180 NT from my stand location? It wasn't me....Sometimes one can be a little to forthcoming with info. Having a preset stand is just an invitation ;) The guy that shot the buck was the one who controlled the hunting permission on the property (not the owner). There wasn't much I could say if I wanted to keep hunting there. He liked for me to do the work and set all of the stands; he would get very mad if I didn't tell him exactly what I saw from each stand location every time I hunted. I've since moved on down the road from that situation...A situation like that took all of the fun out hunting for me.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:54 am

I openly share if its mutual exchange of the same quality of information. Collaboration at that level is rewarding and beneficial to both hunters; however, it takes a long time to develop trust in these cases.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:25 am

I wouldnt tell anyone... And i wouldnt feel bad about it either lol....
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”