Intel on shared private, to share or not to share?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Intel on shared private, to share or not to share?

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:21 am

I would share but share wisely, telling someone the exact location of a buck bed when they don't have the skills or know how to hunt that area is a bad idea. However trading some sightings and game cam pics might be a good idea, the more intel you can have about a buck the better. I gather as much intel about mature bucks as I can from the guys I hunt with. Always good to get any details from others you can, helps you put together the big picture.

darenative

Unread postby darenative » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:13 am

If every family member is on the same page as far as scouting and hunting and openly sharing information then I'd give up enough to make the exchange of info equal. If you are doing the lions share of the legwork, with little to no useful information coming from others hunting the property, I would have no reservation about playing dumb.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 pm

I think each situation is unique. I hunt a buddies property and don't pay anything to hunt it. I buy all the stands every year since he only likes us to hunt from fixed stands and try to put them up with our other buddy so he doesn't have to do any work unless he wants to. Since he lives where we hunt, he shares all the information he gathers when he is out there and when I am out there I always let him know. I think I found a couple good beds this spring (exactly where I thought on the topo maps) My buddies aren't bed hunters but I shared the information. I think since we are all close I really don't care who gets a big buck, as long as one of us does. I would prefer for me to get it though!

Gun hunting two years ago I shot a real nice 8 point opening night. My buddy who was hunting with me never had shot a decent buck was hunting with me and the next morning I was just looking to fill my doe tag. In my stands about two hours after daylight I saw a very nice buck and just prayed the does he were after would head the 1/4 mile towards him. They never did but when I heard a shot from his direction, I knew the shot would have been towards a buck. It was a long minute staring at my radio until I heard, "Hey, You there?" I couldn't reply fast enough "how big was he?" When he said was a nice 8 point and I told him I would head over in about thirty minutes. When we got done talking I put the radio down and I think had a bigger smile on my face then when I shot my buck the night before. I said a quick prayer thanking the man upstairs and was pumped. I certainly want to shoot a big buck, but as long as it comes from one of my group, I am just as happy……..without the taxidermy bill!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:19 am

Palmetto, just curious what your opinions are after the replies?
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:50 am

Loose lips sink ships

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 pm

I appreciate the replies but I think I should have worded the question a bit different, or perhaps I already know what I must and must not share in my situation but just wanted to open this discussion… I'm not really sure. But I don't feel any better about it than before. I guess I will just explain the situation in a bit more detail and how I will probably handle it…

There is a huge non typical living on one of my uncle's farms. We have seen him about 6-8 times in the last 3 years. Always 8-9am returning to the same small patch of brush near the barn. After the 3rd sighting I told my family with a lot of conviction 'that buck is living right there behind the barn'. That was November 2012. Well, September 2013 they brush hogged a lane you could drive a truck down through his staging area and put a double stand I bet is only 60 yards, but just out of sight from where he has to be bedding. Lesson learned. To my amazement the staging area was still active in November of that year and the buck was seen again late in the morning in the same fashion as always, heading to his usual haunt. Also saw a huge 8 heading through the staging area midday towards the suspected bed.

I am going there in May to scout. I am going to scour that area for his exact bed and would love to find his sheds. I have no problem not speaking up about buck beds because nobody else really understands how bucks use them or is interested in 'bed hunting'.

The obstacle(welcomed obstacle I might add) I foresee is finding his or another big shed in a bed. I know the first question obviously is going to be 'where was it?' I would never hide a sighting or knowledge of a big buck from my family, but I also don't want to point them right into his lair because they will surely, inadvertently burn up the area. So if I do find a shed, I believe I would just tell them I found it in the corn field, regardless of where I find it. I really hate to lie and it is not to mislead them, it is to keep them from going in and running the buck off. But of course I would then later go in and hunt the very area I am trying to keep them out of, I think that is what I am most uncomfortable with, just seems like a slime ball thing to do. I have seen first hand that big bucks can come between people, even family and I don't ever want to be the root of a situation like that...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”