Affordable Video Camera for Hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BCD

Affordable Video Camera for Hunting?

Unread postby BCD » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:04 am

Looking for an affordable cam that produces decent quality footage. It doesn't need to be anywhere near TV quality. All suggestions appreciated!!

yungbuck
500 Club

Re: Affordable Video Camera for Hunting?

Unread postby yungbuck » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:39 am

What is affordable to you

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:00 am

Just my two cents, but something with 1920 X 1080 quality, and manual focus....
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 am

Check out Bowhunter15's videos on youtube RE small camcorders (known as DIYSportsman on youtube)

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Good Post, I'm looking for something that is easily compatible with Mac. It doesn't have to be great, just something to take some footage while in the woods for around $350. If anyone knows one like this, please post!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Check out the filming hunts forum here. There is alot of good info there you guys should check out.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:51 am

My recommendation for a single affordable, quality camcorder line for hunting has been relatively unchanged for the past couple years. I love the Canon Vixia HF S-line. They are now discontinued in favor of the more expensive Vixia HF G-line. The G cameras are awesome, but I've noticed that a lot of guys starting out aren't looking to drop that much for a first camera. The S-line (S100, S200, S10, etc) goes used on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. That being said, I don't want to make it seem like Canon makes the only good, affordable cameras out there, so I made the video BassBoys was referring to in order to highlight some of the key features to look for if you want to browse the market overall.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsu61J12JC4[/bbvideo]
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Listen to bowHunter15

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:16 am

So of all the cameras that are available on the market currently, what do you recommend? It's a shame the cannon S series are off the market!
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:57 am

Hey bowhunter 15 do you think the canon vixia hf10 is a good camcorder or can it get the job done? Ive never filmed my hunts and dont want to spend too much money.

Thanks, scott

bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:24 pm

welded34 wrote:Hey bowhunter 15 do you think the canon vixia hf10 is a good camcorder or can it get the job done? Ive never filmed my hunts and dont want to spend too much money.

The Vixia Hf10 should work great. It looks like it has just about all the features of my S100, albeit with a slightly smaller sensor.

So of all the cameras that are available on the market currently, what do you recommend? It's a shame the cannon S series are off the market!

The camera industry is much like the high end bow industry. To maintain a marketing edge and stay competitive, manufacturers make small changes every year to obsolete previous versions and persuade the consumer to upgrade to the latest and greatest. That being said, the lineup of cameras currently on the market is quite different than it was even a couple years ago. I'm gonna look at what the leading manufacturers have to offer and try to give my input... by this weekend hopefully. It becomes tough sometimes because some cameras will offer manual focus only on the touch screen for example, which you don't usually find listed on the manufacturer website. So I have to do a little digging and perhaps take a trip to a best buy.
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Alright sounds good. Thanks for the update!

Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 am

Thanks!! I look forward to your recommendations.

bowhunter15 wrote:
welded34 wrote:Hey bowhunter 15 do you think the canon vixia hf10 is a good camcorder or can it get the job done? Ive never filmed my hunts and dont want to spend too much money.

The Vixia Hf10 should work great. It looks like it has just about all the features of my S100, albeit with a slightly smaller sensor.

The camera industry is much like the high end bow industry. To maintain a marketing edge and stay competitive, manufacturers make small changes every year to obsolete previous versions and persuade the consumer to upgrade to the latest and greatest. That being said, the lineup of cameras currently on the market is quite different than it was even a couple years ago. I'm gonna look at what the leading manufacturers have to offer and try to give my input... by this weekend hopefully. It becomes tough sometimes because some cameras will offer manual focus only on the touch screen for example, which you don't usually find listed on the manufacturer website. So I have to do a little digging and perhaps take a trip to a best buy.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Putt4Doe

Unread postby Putt4Doe » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:53 am

Also - is it better to go the route of a $300-$600 dslr camera for filming? Or are camcorders the way to go?

Thanks for the input!!

bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:11 am

Putt4Doe wrote:Also - is it better to go the route of a $300-$600 dslr camera for filming? Or are camcorders the way to go?

Thanks for the input!!

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml9_RUetVPU[/bbvideo]

If you don't yet have any video experience I'd recommend going with a camcorder to start with. Much simpler. DSLRs have some big upsides, but only if you know how to take advantage of them and don't mind doing workarounds for things that come standard on camcorders (like manual mic levels).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”