the biggest buck you never got

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

iowa whitetail
500 Club

the biggest buck you never got

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:10 pm

i dont know if if its ever been brought up but we always talk about what we have got. Post pics or talk about the big one thats vanished or someone else got first etc. Mine is a main frame 11 typical buck. I heard he was poached but never seen the rack. If he didnt get poached or shot by someone he just vanished.

christian1
500 Club

Re: the biggest buck you never got

Unread postby christian1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:24 pm

Mine was a non-typical 14 pointer that I had at 7 yards. All he needed to do was get past me so I could have quartering away shot......and then he smelled me and walked off. A guy I gun hunted with shot him that next season. Made me sick to see him. I gave up bowhunting for several years because of that incident. I was just crushed and it took all the wind out of my sails. I was younger then and don't think I would react the same way today. It is one hunt that I will not ever forget.

chris
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Had a 165+ at 62 yards in the 2012 season. I had tons of trail cam pics of him, but never saw him again. A guy that lives to the property I hunt "found" him near his house shot near a road. He was a giant. Long long beams and wide. Biggest deer I've ever seen in the wild.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:05 pm

When I was 17 had a giant that I jumped feeding on apples while going to my stand that opening morning.
He was one of three deer taken of the Mtn. that year that dressed between 245-260'ish...

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 pm

i dug out some old pics of him still makes me sick.ImageImageImage
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:50 pm

Nice pics iowa whitetail, what do you think he scored?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:16 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Nice pics iowa whitetail, what do you think he scored?

i would think upper 80's mabe 90's depends on his main beams just a guess though
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:23 pm

What a giant IW!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Beast-Mode

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:25 pm

Beautiful Buck, Did you come close to getting him?
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:33 pm

I had lost him after he shed so i went to hang a stand and a cam ware i figured he was and him and his lady came by me at 40 yards and no bow never saw him again i herd he got poached about a week later.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:14 pm

iowa whitetail wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:Nice pics iowa whitetail, what do you think he scored?

i would think upper 80's mabe 90's depends on his main beams just a guess though

That's what I was thinking. I hunted one years ago that I figured would go 208". I was a lot better at guessing back then and I still think I had to be real close. I think he may have been a little narrower than the one in your pics, but I would say he had maybe 20% more mass, a few more inches on the brow tines, about 5" G5's and 4" more on the G 2's and 3's. He was an absolute monster.

He hung out in the back of an alfalfa field late at night and one time I took a friend of the family out to shine him. The guy had been talking about the "BIG" bucks he had been seeing where he hunts so I thought I would show him what BIG was. I told the guy that we were a little early so we might only see the yearling 8pt and the 3.5 year old 10pt. Sure enough when we got there it was too early for the big boy, but the eight and the ten were there. I don't think the guy had ever seen a P&Y buck before because he went ballistic. His eye's were big as saucers and I started laughing. I told him that was the "little" one and the big boy made him look like a squirt. He was going nuts and screaming asking me if I was seeing the same buck he was (now running across the field). He kept saying "can't you see him!!!" I kept trying to tell him that I did and he was not the big one, but he would have none of it. By the time it was over I was laughing at him so hard I was crying. :lol:

Anyway, I thought for sure I was going to kill the buck that year. I built a ground blind in the summer so he would get used to it and before season his tracks were going right by it into his bedding area about 50-60 yards away on the public. Unfortunately, the landowner next door apparently didn't appreciate my blind being so close to his property line and when I showed up there on the bow opener my blind was ripped apart and scattered all over. I made the best I could of it, but right at day break the guy came out and started calling his dog back and forth through the woods for a couple hours before going back to his house. It was obvious he intended to ruin my hunt.

I hunted that buck for three years and then all traces of him suddenly vanished and right about that time I heard of someone shooting a potential new state record with a bow in my county. I couldn't wait to see the picture. Sure enough, it was him. Even though he had went down hill quite a bit and was now a non typical he still scored 187". I think it wasn't long before news of another non typical even bigger came out so it was a short lived record.

That was the greatest buck I ever hunted and most likely the only one I will ever see that big again.... but I sure do hope that I'm wrong.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:45 am

Good topic...I don't have pics of him unfortunately but when I was in my late teens I was after a giant 11 point typical. I saw him glassing and knew I was looking at a near booner, 170-ish. I didn't see a thing of him that fall and the next summer I saw him glassing again a couple times and he was a lot bigger, I figured at the time he was around 180 gross then, with a inside spread close to 26". That gun season a neighbor shot him, and he actually grossed just shy of 200". I went over and saw him hanging, just a moose of a deer. Without a doubt the biggest buck I have been after. I wish I had been about 5-10 years further along in my bow hunting career...it might have got interesting. I know the buck hung out on a farm I could hunt, his big ox footed tracks were everywhere back there.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:54 am

Had him at 15 yards broadside, while I was doe hunting. DOH!

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
nater

Unread postby nater » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Was driving down an access road to hang a stand during gun season and there was a giant (for me) maybe 30-40 yards off the road in some warm season grass absolutely locked on a doe. I'm guessing 150-160. I had a tag and my in-law's shotgun under the seat. I got out of the truck and the buck hardly acknowledged us. My kneejerk reaction was to not shoot him because I would never be proud of the kill. So I didn't.

We hunted the following morning and no one saw him. When we came back after lunch we found a large buck with its head cut off just off the entrance to the access road.

Other than that...I've hunted some nice bucks but haven't had any on camera or seen any in person that were that big.

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:36 am

Fall of 2007 was the first year I hunted a property is S. Indiana. I had seen 14 bucks in the morning hounding does but they were all 150 yards on the other side of the field. I climbed down the tree with my climber and in attempt to not make any noise I left it on the tree. I hunted from the ground in a little valley that connected a hill top field and field on the flood plain of the river. I hung a scent wick up and backed off of it about 30 yards and hunted from a natural ground blind I threw together real quick. Didn't see a deer until a 1/2 hr til sunset. First and only main frame 12 pointer I've ever seen. Came right to the scent wick and stood for 20 minutes. I drew back 3 times but could not find a hole to shoot. At that time that deer was probably around 180''. He simply turned around and walked back where he came from. I saw him one other time that season. I was hunting in the crotch of a beech tree in a small patch woods on the same property. He was walking across the middle of the floodplain field at 9:30 a.m. He must of seen me move cuz he pegged me from probably 150 yards and he was gone. Fast forward to the fall of 2008. I thought I had a good idea of where his main bedroom was. A 50 acre old cow pasture across the road from where I had seen him the previous year. 25 acres has about 15 years of growth in it(mainly young maples and cedars). I took a friend with me and we hunted an area in the cow pasture where 3 old fence rows come together at a small creek. We were approximately 100 yards apart. It was probably 4 in the afternoon and here comes a giant mainframe 12 pointer with all kinds of trash on his bases. He split the difference between me and my buddy, all we could do was watch. We didn't call to him because we figured we would get another chance. I never saw that deer again but we both figured he would have been somewhere around 200". I don't know for certain if it was the same deer as the year before but in such a small area it almost had to have been him. In firearms season of 2009 about 500 yards from where we saw that deer the year before a mainframe 12 was killed with a bunch of extra stuff on his bases'. That deer scored either 204' or 214' I can't remember for sure. I can still picture every encounter I had with him like it was yesterday. I'll probably never see another one that big, but I feel lucky just having been able to hunt him a few times. I've seen two separate deer the past two seasons that would both be close to 170', an couldn't close the deal on either. As long as Indiana keeps the one buck rule sooner or later I'm going to put down a slammer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”