Moon days....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Moon days....

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:33 am

dan wrote:
A condensed version on a topic widely debated in the fishing world.....fish (hunt) anytime you can but try and be on your best spots and be alert during peak moon phases.

You can't kill anything sitting on your couch waiting for the right moon, right weather, etc... But you can ruin a good spot by hunting it at the wrong time.
I used to hunt morning and evening every day and would burn a lot of bridges by kicking bedded bucks out of the bedding area before light when going in.. Since then I learned patience can also be a good asset. ;)
You can kill good bucks at anytime though if you have a good game plan and take into account what the bucks are doing when you want to hunt them.

I agree with what you just posted.....I should have said "hunt smart anytime you can". :oops: Includes watching the wind and many other variables.

martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 am

Dan, With all the serious hunters on this forum it would be interesting if there was a standard (beast) form a member could plug information into about deer movement and their hunt. Maybe approx. age / weight ,,time of kill,,method of hunting=ie: funnel-food source-bedding area,,moon phase,,weather,,weapon,,photo, small area for a story. etc,etc.
I'm not a computer geek and don't know how hard it would be to set up the correlation analysis but the results would be fun to see for everyone.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 pm

That would be cool Martin... Maybe we can figure something out.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Could probably do a members hunt journal or something, maybe the whiz kid could build a template for members to plug in thier stats????
Cage Rattler

Unread postby Cage Rattler » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:11 am

That's great Dan. Thanks for sharing. I too look forward to putting it to the test.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm excited about this information. I'm going to plug it in to a few of my October morning spots and see what happens. Thanks!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Here are the best days for evening sits... By best, I mean the bucks should move earlier than normal, so this should be good for those spots where you can't quite get close enough for daylight shooting due to noise, vision, wind, or some other factor. ( I edited this to the 1st page also )

SEPT 1
SEPT 2
SEPT 15
SEPT 29
SEPT 30
OCT 12
OCT13
OCT14

OCT 26
OCT 27
OCT 28
OCT 29
NOV 10
NOV 11
NOV12

NOV 25
NOV 26
NOV 27
DEC 9
DEC 10
DEC 11
DEC 12

DEC 25
DEC 26
DEC 27
JAN 8
JAN 9
JAN 10
JAN 11
JAN 12

JAN 23
JAN 24
JAN 25
JAN 26
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:04 pm

I will record my observations in relation to those days you posted (that I can get out). Will be interesting to see if success/sightings increase by members now....thanks
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:27 am

Thanks for the post Dan. I will also be paying attention this year to the moon and how I hunt the Moon Guide did seem to help me last year as far as seeing movement and being in the right places. It would be cool if we could compile all the members information into one thread on this topic. Really looking forward to it (Moon Phase) this year.
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:54 am

Thanks Dan for doing the leg work and getting the info for us. Greatly appreciate all the great knowledge that you share with us!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:26 am

Since you have Sept 2nd listed, I think I will go looking for deer tonight ! :D
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:46 am

Generally speaking count the days after a full or new moon and you will have about what time the deer should move. Example: 7th day after a full moon, movement will be at 7am and 7pm. This works pretty close to what the moon chart says. A full moon is overhead at midnight and a new moon is overhead at noon so it is pretty easy to follow. In Sept and Oct. the absolute best days are the 7th day which should have both morning and evening movement. I checked back on some of my kills and I think the charts work well for early season or late season while deer on a bedding feeding pattern. Im looking foreward to our opener this year on Oct 1st, I usually don't hunt mornings but I plan on it this year.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:38 am

The most reliable way to monitor the accuracy would be to have all the trail cam users post daylight photo's of each buck the get a pic of that is 2 1/2 or older... Obviously if there is more than one pic of the same deer within the same time frame, say within an hour, only times would be needed... The pictures would need to be accompanied by the date and time that the buck passed by. If we have enough people dedicated to posting those pic's from Sept. 1st thru Jan 31st, I for one would love to tally up the info.

Anybody interested?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:48 am

Yeppppppppp ! I'm in....
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:53 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Yeppppppppp ! I'm in....

Cool... 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”